kesbabe

Affinity Photo Raw Histogram

Hi Chris_K (The Assurer),

I didn't like that you closed my post down.  I wrote the post because nothing has been done.  My first post on this issue was back in December 2016.  What kind of support is that.  Your answer was off the top of your head.  It is a VERY serious problem for me, one of your customers.  What other support routes do you have?  When will it be fixed, is it that difficult to find out?  I have an Olympus.

Here is my post again. 

If you do a Google search "Affinity Photo raw histogram" there are quite a few forum threads concerning the shape/positioning of the plots on the histogram. The graph is bunched up to the left, indicating the image is under exposed,  which it's not. See the following links:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31359-histogram-shapeposition/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/40762-opening-raw-file-in-develop-persona-histogram-crunched-to-the-left-meaning-seriously-underexposed-images/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/37305-incorrect-histogram-with-fuji-x-trans-raw-files/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/33596-possible-problem-with-histogram-with-raw-files-on-macpc/

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/31498-raw-histogram/

I wrote one of the earliest entries on this back in November 2016. I think the general gist of the forum responses is that there is a fault with the software as it doesn't generate the raw histogram correctly. I am frustrated with this issue. I don't know whether I'm using the software wrongly or it is only a Windows problem or it only occurs with certain sensor types or only causes problems for a few people.  I was disappointed with the release 1.6 that the issue was  not resolved. 

Is anything concrete being done on this?

So if there are four existing threads, which one should I post on.

I also wanted to point out how inconclusive the responses were in the existing threads so I included the links to the previous posts.  The main issue is not forum etiquette but when it's going to be fixed.  This is an absolute fundamental issue for me processing Raw images.  I have continued to use PS Elements while patiently waiting for this to be fixed.  Perhaps there are just a handful of people in the world with this issue, I don't know.  If that is the case, then I understand that the fix will be down the priority list.  If Serif communicates this information, I can make an appropriate decision e.g. ask for a refund instead of patiently waiting for the fix, getting excited when v1.6 is released and being disappointed again.

If you don't have any other support channels available other than this forum then the communication needs to meet the customers' needs.  Your's is a commercial operation.

Kerry

2 hours ago, kesbabe said:

If you don't have any other support channels available other than this forum then the communication needs to meet the customers' needs.  Your's is a commercial operation.

We have a number of ways to contact us, but the Forums are our most direct and appropriate tech support. Chris K is a senior QA and Mark is the head of Windows programming, so you are already interacting with the team who will help get to the bottom of this.

Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

3 hours ago, kesbabe said:

Hi Patrick,

i am still in my grumpy mood.

Patrick, you state that there are a number of ways to contact us.  I have re-read that page, to paraphrase, it recommends the first place to visit is the forum, the telephone option it appears to be only for "problems relating to orders, payments or your account" which this isn't and under the Technical Support heading it once again recommends the forum.  Once again, I feel fobbed off and even though I now have Serif employees responding there is still NO commitment e.g. we will get back to you within 3 days or this is a minor issue and we won't get to it for another year.

This has been an issue since at least December 2016.

Kerry

10 hours ago, kesbabe said:

...Once again, I feel fobbed off and even though I now have Serif employees responding there is still NO commitment e.g. we will get back to you within 3 days or this is a minor issue and we won't get to it for another year.

Hi, we don't give out time frames for fixing things, all we can say is, we're aware of the issue, and we are working to fix it. Keep an eye on the beta forums for the latest builds with the latest bug fixes.

This is my last post on this.

So far, I have learnt nothing new about the issue.

I've waited since December 2016 with no concrete progress on the issue.

I've received a bunch of defensive, "tell the person nothing" emails from Serif employees.

Imagine for 5 minutes that you were the customer.  We don't all understand what 16 and 32 bit means.

To me, having the raw histogram not working is a show stopper.

Why not put out a tutorial on how to work around this problem?

Kerry

Sorry guys, I very rarely look at forums and struggle with Affinity but am working on learning from Tutorials, has the above problem been fixed please, if so where do I go to find answer etc.

Andy. 

3 hours ago, AndrewW said:

Sorry guys, I very rarely look at forums and struggle with Affinity but am working on learning from Tutorials, has the above problem been fixed please, if so where do I go to find answer etc.

Andy. 

It does seem that the Histogram in Affinity Photo is not presenting accurate information. In my screenshot below, I've used the same RAW (Canon CR2) file in 5 different apps. 4 of them present similar results, while Affinity does not.

Using a Histogram can be beneficial when developing/processing images, I don't rely on them for this reason. Use your eyes, see what changes are being made while moving sliders, applying adjustments and filters.

histograms compared.png

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

Here's 2 more apps using that same RAW file, Canon's DPP4 and On1 PhotoRaw 2017. Again these are similar to the other 4. The last one is from Affinity Photo Beta 1.7. It seems they have fixed this problem for the next release.

CanonDPP4-Histogram.jpg

On1PR2017-Histogram.jpg

affinityPhotoBeta7.jpg

Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123, Beta 1.7.0.243; Win10 Home Version:1803, Build: 17134.706: Intel i7-4770, 3.40GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 645 

I have just downloaded 1.7.0.185 now Histogram is fine plus other fixes.

Thanks, Ron for finding the upgrade, where do I find notifications for upgrades in the future.

Regards Andy

I think Kesbabe is totally right. Serif took more than 2 years to fix the Histogram issue? Come on!

I just recorded a video about this issue but I came here first to this forum to see what was already posted, before posting my video. SO, watch the video to see that the issue has not been completely fixed. If you apply a Tone Curve on Develop Assist it doesn't change the histogram, not in the 1.6 version nor in the beta version. I'm a pro photographer and histogram is essential for my work, both in camera and editing. Serif, please, make it simple but do it well! I made a decision last year and I don't wanna go back to Adobe. I moved to Serif for the sake of principles and I would like to keep my position.

1 hour ago, Duda Covett said:

If you apply a Tone Curve on Develop Assist it doesn't change the histogram, not in the 1.6 version nor in the beta version.

The histogram fails to update when the Develop Assistant tone curve is toggled, but it can be coerced to update, which is better than nothing until that bug is fixed. The histogram will be updated if you adjust a control such as exposure, so nudge the exposure up then down, or vice versa, after toggling the tone curve to update the histogram.

3 hours ago, >|< said:

The histogram fails to update when the Develop Assistant tone curve is toggled, but it can be coerced to update, which is better than nothing until that bug is fixed. The histogram will be updated if you adjust a control such as exposure, so nudge the exposure up then down, or vice versa, after toggling the tone curve to update the histogram.

Sounds like somebody might have forgotten then to fire an change event for the related observer, so the change/update listeners there get informed to update the histogram accordingly. Usually should be no problem to fix that fast.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.6.1 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.6.7 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Ron P. 

The raw histogram on the current official version of affinity photo always diplays as 32 bit rather than in the bit depth of the image you are developing.  The new beta changed that so it would display the proper histogram for the image opened (E: a 16bit image will have a 16bit histogram).