You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very simply put, I'd like to choose how many degrees I need to rotate left or right, rather than having the action hard set to a fixed amount. Is that possible. I've looked at Edit> Preferences and can't find that option. In this particular image I am attempting to level the horizon in the background.

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

Rotate in the View menu does not rotate the content on the canvas. It just rotates the canvas on the screen, much like rotating a physical canvas on an easel to make brushing on it at some angle more convenient.

To level the horizon, you can use the Straighten button in the Context toolbar of the Crop Tool. When you click it, the pointer turns into a bubble level icon. Use it to click & drag a line along the horizon in the image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
On 07 November 2017 at 5:59 PM, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

I am attempting to level the horizon in the background

If you need more control, why not just place a horizontal guide on your image then use the Rotate adjustment to level the horizon.

By using the CTRL key plus the up/down arrow keys the rotation can be adjusted in 0.1 degrees intervals

Tip: You can also change the rotation centre with this method which changes which areas of the image will need Inpainting

straight4.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

carl123, thanks. So after going to View>Guides Manager>Add Horizontal Guide @ 50%, I am presented with a blue horizontal line, but the Control+Up/Down arrows accomplish no movement. Also, when selecting the Transform tab, nothing is highlighted. Also when using the Rotate control, the entire canvas rotates, and still the Transform tab is not highlighted.

Any followup to my inaccurate workflow?

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

For @Carl123's method…

• Ensure that your background layer isn't locked (or else you can't access the rotation field in the Transform Panel.
  • Then click in the Rotate Field (R:) in the Transform Panel.
  • Pressing Up or Down arrow will rotate by 1 degree (probably too big a jump) so hold Ctrl to refine the rotation to 0.1 degrees.
  • You can type a rotation with up to 3 decimal places for very fine control.
  • As Carl123 noted, the center of rotation will make a big difference, so think about where you put it.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 hours ago, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

carl123, thanks. So after going to View>Guides Manager>Add Horizontal Guide @ 50%, I am presented with a blue horizontal line, but the Control+Up/Down arrows accomplish no movement.

I think what he meant was just to use a horizontal guide suitably placed as a reference for rotating the Background layer, which he shows as selected in the Layers panel in his screenshot. That allows the use of the Transform panel's rotate field to rotate that layer. It actually can be used to rotate things well beyond 3 decimal places of precision -- you can even use Expressions for field input to input things like +=0.0002 or 360/2100 to rotate things at the maximum internal resolution of the app, which I think the developers said was something beyond 8 or 9 decimal places.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7