You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does the TWAIN plug in work with Affinity Photo?

I would love to cut the Adobe cord and am hoping that Affinity Photo will allow me to do that. But there's one critical issue: does the TWAIN plug in work with Affinity Photo so that I can use my Canon scanner to scan directly into the application?

I was inquisitive enough to reattach my Epson Scanner and get busy with your request.¬¬

Not finding anything on my PC AP as a clickable way forward I tried the HELP file:

5a016e52e6763_ScanHelp.thumb.JPG.932a849e10b79f4cc8dbec68048f0098.JPG

Woah, I thought that looks promising . . But no . . Clicking the "Results"  I then got this:

5a016ea863299_EmptyScanHelp.thumb.JPG.a8486278ccac4d73d22507b4231ed687.JPG

Not a lot of help.

What or where did you read about the TWAIN option? :|

Cheers

Grazie

• Staff

As Affinity Photo is a 64bit only application there is no prevision for the importing directly from a scanner as these use a 32bit TWAIN drivers, I recommend using your scanners own software to scan your document and save as a standard image format. 

There are a couple of applications that will do it.

Faststone image viewer (free for non-commercial use)  and  Irfanview (free)

I use Faststone which is a very good viewer and you can set it to load the scanned images directly into Photo.

So, scan the image, press Ctrl + E and they are in Photo.. In reality, you will probably want to scan a bunch of photos, view them and edit them one by one, so it works better than scanning them into Photo one by one. You can even carry out basic edits in Faststone.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

17 minutes ago, DWright said:

As Affinity Photo is a 64bit only application there is no prevision for the importing directly from a scanner as these use a 32bit TWAIN drivers, I recommend using your scanners own software to scan your document and save as a standard image format. 

True, TWAIN is 32bit. But I can directly access my Epson SCANNER directly from my Corel 64bit PaintshopProX8:

5a017ba876444_Scanningfromwithin64bitCorelPSPX8.thumb.JPG.07053825e94d1f23ad10030cd82a7a6b.JPG

This also needs to be accessible from within AP. At the very least the Help Files needs an update to say one has to go outside of AP to get to a SCANNER. This is unfortunate . . . .

Cheers

Grazie

3 hours ago, Grazie said:

True, TWAIN is 32bit. But I can directly access my Epson SCANNER directly from my Corel 64bit PaintshopProX8:

It is not as direct as it seems. In effect, to do this Corel must switch to a mode that emulates a 32 bit app. This involves converting 32 bit data structures into ones usable in a 64 bit app environment. As you might imagine, this is not an efficient process. It adds considerable overhead & complexity to the code, & must be done very carefully to avoid instabilities that can crash the app.

As @DWright & @toltec mentioned, where possible it is preferable to either use the software that came with the scanner or a third party equivalent.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, toltec said:

There are a couple of applications that will do it.

Faststone image viewer (free for non-commercial use)  and  Irfanview (free)

XnViewMP is a free DAM that can do it - it's clearly not a problem.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

ACDSEE dropped scanning. There was some blowback but in the long run we all got used to using something else to do the scanning. I use Vuescan and it will scan in a huge dpis if if I so chose.  

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

I use Vuescan. In windows, if you set Photo as the default program to open tiffs, then when you save from Vuescan, it will automatically open in Photo. Hardly any difference from an integral scan facility in Photo. You do need to be aware that Vuescan will have saved the tiff somewhere and deal with this.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the great information. I'm not adverse to using an external app for scans, as long as it's easy to load them into Photo. I do have the software that came with my Canon Canoscan 5600, but it's clunky and not the easiest thing to use in terms of getting files into the editing software. I guess I just got lazy using the TWAIN plug-in to load the scanning interface directly into Photoshop. But if I go with Affinity Photo, I guess I'll stick with that -- unless Canon stops publishing updates for new Apple OS releases. In which case I suppose I'll need to switch over to something like Vuescan.

Again, thanks to each of you for the quick replies and the detailed info. You've helped me a lot in understanding my options as I try to find alternatives to the subscription model that Adobe has foisted upon us.

If scanning is a major part of your workflow, check out Hamrick's VUESCAN. The professional version has lifetime upgrades and he updates it a lot.

https://www.hamrick.com/reg.html

Affinity Designer 2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212 Affinity Photo 2.2.2075  beta 2.3.1.2212Affinity Publisher  2.2.2075 & beta 2.3.1.2212

Windows 11 Pro Version    22H2
OS build    22621.1928
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

yoda.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Staff

@deadlyfingers

Welcome (back) to the Affinity forums :) 

This thread is essentially about Windows scanner support, but your answer may be of some assistance to those with older Mac scanners 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon