You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vinyl Cutting with Affinity Designer

Swatches panel, New global colour. Then rename swatch to CutContour. Make sure the outline has a non zero stroke. When making PDF make sure "Honour spot colours" is ticked. This works for me in Versaworks. I've started using AD with my vinyl cutter - its much better than CorelDraw in my opinion.

Mick

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

@MickRose - I'd love to know how you achieved that. I've tried the same, but to no avail.

Previous to today, I've been using Affinity Designer on my Mac for layout, then exporting .eps files to my Windows 10 PC, where I'd open it in Illustrator CS6, add the CutContour stroke, and save as Illustrator .eps for import into VersaWorks. But today, my Illustrator stopped working after a virus scan, and I thought I'd try exporting with the CutContour straight from AD. Not working, unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, InfoCentral said:

Thanks for the link. That's a competent video about explaining the need to convert text and artwork to vector,  but it doesn't address the step where the cut line is defined by the software.

In Illustrator, a CutContour color swatch is used, and the shapes to be cut are stroked with that color. I haven't been able to get the color I set up in AD as CutContour to be recognized by VersaWorks.

EDIT to add: Also, after opening a verified (and previously cut) Illustrator .eps file in AD with the outlines stroked with CutContour, then exporting it back out as an .eps from AD, the cut lines still aren't recognized by VersaWorks.

Edited by captkevman
Added verification information.