You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Whitedog,

Welcome to the forums,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by edits. Do you mean Light Room presets? If so you can't use Light Room presets with Affinity I'm afraid. However you can use Affinity Photo as an external editor in Light Room :)

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 hours ago, Whitedog said:

I'm curious. How does Affinity Photo handle Adobe Lightroom edits?

I can answer this more precisely. As in any RAW development tool the non destructive edit operations are stored only in the catalog of the tool or in a XMP or similar sidecar file next to the RAW on disc. This depends on your lightroom settings. However the information in such a file has only a meaning to the tool which produced it, at least in full extent. There are parts like star ratings or embedded previews which can be reused by other tools, but the other settings like "Clarity" or your local adjustments cannot be used by other tools 1 to 1 because the underlying RAW engines are different. This is the reason why Lightroom produces a "pre developed" TIFF when it transferes the image to another tool via "Edit In". Another tool just does not understand the Lightroom language and even if it understands it, it has not the code to reproduce the same results. What this means is:

1) If you use "Edit In" you automatically generate large additional files, which consume up your disc space. Additionally your image manipulation process becomes destructive at this point. You just cannot change your Lightroom edits afterwards and reapply the external editor's changes.

2) If an external editor has to use the RAWs directly instead of generated TIFFs, then a Lightroom plugin must be provided by the external tool, which passes the selected RAWs to the external tool. But again the RAWs are provided as they were imported from the camera. Your Lightroom edits stay in Lightroom.

This is not Affinity specific.

This is also the reason btw. why Adobe can do what they want. They just have "locked in" all their users, because the users do not want to loose their edits while switching to another tool. Even if the develop results are bad compared to others tools. As long at there is not a standard raw format and develop process defined by IEC or something and as long as all camera manufacturers have their own format, nothing will change. So you have to make a hard break at some point, where you use Lightroom for your "before 2018" catalogs and create new catalogs or workflow within a new tool.

If you use Photoshop the transition to Affinity Photo is pretty smooth since it can preserve most Photoshop image features. But clearly LIghtroom is another matter. The only reason I ask is that Adobe is no longer offering a standalone version. So I'm stuck with Lightroom 6. I don't use Photoshop much any more or I would jump at Affinity Photo as a replacement—and I yet may do so anyway. It's pretty inexpensive.

When you edit from lightroom, it will save a tiff. (unfortunately Lightroom thinks it should be called a .tif file but affinity insists it should be called a .tiff so a bit of manual renaming is needed between the two programs). 

However Affinity will save TIFF layers which lightroom will use so this should work for you. 

I've ditched Photoshop after seeing how good the Inpainting Brush tool is. Affinity annoys me with the shortcuts though, pressing "b" should not cycle through different tools - it should just be the brush tool! 

Unfortunately I'm not looking to export from Affinity to Lightroom, rather just the opposite. Which I cannot really do without loosing the edits I make in Lightroom. That is to say, Affinity Photo will not preserve the sidecar files or the Lightroom catalog metadata. On the other hand, Affinity Photo is a great substitute for Photoshop. Unfortunately, I don't use Photoshop much any more.

11 hours ago, km.au said:

Affinity annoys me with the shortcuts though, pressing "b" should not cycle through different tools - it should just be the brush tool! 

You can avoid the cycling by removing the "b" shortcut from all the other brush tools besides the Paint Brush Tool that share that shortcut by default. However, you can't avoid the 'last tool used' feature that toggles between the brush & the previously used tool if you press "b" again when that brush is already selected.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

If you think that's bad, try processing the same image in Photoshop. PSDs can be much larger that TIFs. Of course if you've got even a modest budget a CC subscription to Adobe's Photography suite, including Lightroom and Photoshop, will cost only $10 a month. But my budget is less than modest, unfortunately, which is why I was looking at Affinity Photo again. Adobe has ceased offering the standalone version of Lightroom upgrades so, because I have a considerable equity in my Lightroom catalog, I will be marooned in version 6.

1 hour ago, Asser82 said:

I have started with Lightroom 6 + Affinity also. But the created TIFF sizes were to much for me, so I have changed my workflow further. I just do not want to spend >100MB on each photo.