You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradients and how to get rid of the white stripes between objects

Hi, I've been practicing using gradients lately and came across a problem with white stripes between objects that are close to each other. There is no really a problem if they have a solid color, I can just use stroke of the same color and they're not visible anymore.

The problem is, when using gradients, I have to set them twice both for fill and for the stroke to get rid of those stripes. Is there a way to somehow eliminate them without using the gradient tool twice? 

sssss.png

• Staff

The white stripes are not due to gradients, it is to do with the fine line between your polygons - it is the white of the document behind the shapes that you are seeing.  This is due to how rasterisation of vector shapes work.  You need to extend your objects behind another to ensure that these edges do not occur.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Never said that it's caused by gradients and I know that it's the white background. It's just frustrating that I have to do the same thing with the gradient tool twice to get rid of this. There should be an option to set same gradient to fill and stroke at the same time.

Extending objects to hide behind each other creates a problem with curves not being set at the exact angle you want or parts of them peeking out so you have to set all of this manually.

14 minutes ago, voitek said:

Extending objects to hide behind each other creates a problem with curves not being set at the exact angle you want or parts of them peeking out

Even so, it's common practice in graphic design. Always let objects overlap slightly if you want to avoid white gaps between them. If you insist on using strokes for whatever reason, try creating styles for you gradients so you can reapply them faster.

• Staff

Fair point - I'll pass that on as a suggestion.

Adding the stroke is effectively doing the same as what I suggest though - expanding the geometry behind to fill the gaps.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB