You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to reverse the erase brush effect?

• Staff

Hi kamelelmallah,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Erase Brush Tool is destructive, that is, it removes/deletes the pixels from a layer definitely. If you want to perform this non-destructively you must create a mask which is used to define which parts of the pixel layer (image) will be shown/hidden. You can edit/refine this mask every time you need without affecting the original pixel layer. To do this select the layer you want to work on, then click the second icon on the top of the Layers Studio and select New Mask Layer. Note that a mask layer was added to the layer you selected in the Layers Studio. Tap the small arrow near the layer to expand it, then tap the Mask layer to select it. Now select the Paint Brush Tool, make sure it's colour is set to black and paint on the canvas over the image to "delete" the parts you want. To refine or get some parts back change the colour to white and paint over the areas you want to refine/get back. Resuming, when working with a mask painting with white reveals the image, painting with black conceals. If you paint with mid tones (greyscale) your will get semi-trasnparency.

• 4 years later...
On 11/6/2017 at 9:21 PM, MEB said:

Hi kamelelmallah,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The Erase Brush Tool is destructive, that is, it removes/deletes the pixels from a layer definitely. If you want to perform this non-destructively you must create a mask which is used to define which parts of the pixel layer (image) will be shown/hidden. You can edit/refine this mask every time you need without affecting the original pixel layer. To do this select the layer you want to work on, then click the second icon on the top of the Layers Studio and select New Mask Layer. Note that a mask layer was added to the layer you selected in the Layers Studio. Tap the small arrow near the layer to expand it, then tap the Mask layer to select it. Now select the Paint Brush Tool, make sure it's colour is set to black and paint on the canvas over the image to "delete" the parts you want. To refine or get some parts back change the colour to white and paint over the areas you want to refine/get back. Resuming, when working with a mask painting with white reveals the image, painting with black conceals. If you paint with mid tones (greyscale) your will get semi-trasnparency.

Yes this is similar to PS CC , but even with a layer mask, I can not undo the erase tool to regain some areas I removed using the erase brush too. Can you help me 

4 hours ago, Priyantha said:

Yes this is similar to PS CC , but even with a layer mask, I can not undo the erase tool to regain some areas I removed using the erase brush too. Can you help me 

To make erased areas in a mask layer fully visible again, use the channels panel, right-click on Mask Alpha, choose fill.

If something is still mIssing: Probably the wrong layer was active while erasing, so you deleted in the pixel layer, not the mask layer.

If you use a brush and white color to paint on mask, check the following:

• 100% white color used
  • 100% color opacity
  • use the basic round brush. Select the brush actively.
  • reset the brush. Check that wet edges is deactive 
  • check brush opacity, fill, hardness all at 100%
  • on iPad, there is a bug in RGB/8, where you occasionally can’t achieve 100% white using brush strokes. Use RGB/16 as workaround.

If still having trouble, please make a screen recording, and upload this with the example file .

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

To make erased areas in a mask layer fully visible again, use the channels panel, right-click on Mask Alpha, choose fill.

If something is still mIssing: Probably the wrong layer was active while erasing, so you deleted in the pixel layer, not the mask layer.

If you use a brush and white color to paint on mask, check the following:

• 100% white color used
  • 100% color opacity
  • use the basic round brush. Select the brush actively.
  • reset the brush. Check that wet edges is deactive 
  • check brush opacity, fill, hardness all at 100%
  • on iPad, there is a bug in RGB/8, where you occasionally can’t achieve 100% white using brush strokes. Use RGB/16 as workaround.

If still having trouble, please make a screen recording, and upload this with the example file .

thank you for the rely. i think i m doing the right thing, still it is not got right. I see if i can get a screen recording

6 hours ago, Priyantha said:

even with a layer mask, I can not undo the erase tool

It sounds like you're trying to use the erase tool on the mask. Don't! Paint on the mask with a basic Paint Brush. Use black to remove (effectively "erase") something and paint with white to restore it.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

It sounds like you're trying to use the erase tool on the mask. Don't! Paint on the mask with a basic Paint Brush. Use black to remove (effectively "erase") something and paint with white to restore it.

OK what I m trying to do

have a color photo, added an adjustment layer (say curve to darken the background) then applied a mask to the curve layer, then clicked on the mask layer and remove darker area from the subject, accidental background removal can not undo either with black or white (working on white first)

1 hour ago, Priyantha said:

added an adjustment layer (say curve to darken the background) then applied a mask to the curve layer

You don't need to add a mask to an adjustment layer; it has its own built-in mask already. Just select the adjustment layer, and paint black to remove the effect of the adjustment, or white to show the effect.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

1 hour ago, Priyantha said:

added an adjustment layer (say curve to darken the background) then applied a mask to the curve layer, then clicked on the mask

Select a Paint brush tool. The adjustment layers have their own mask, so no need to apply another  mask.

Select black colour to paint on the adjustment layer with black to reveal the curves effects and use white to restore original effect. Paint only on the curve adjustment layer.  🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

37 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You don't need to add a mask to an adjustment layer; it has its own built-in mask already. Just select the adjustment layer, and paint black to remove the effect of the adjustment, or white to show the effect.

Thank you, I think I m getting this..but not easy as in PS CC brush manipulation :)

39 minutes ago, DM1 said:

Select a Paint brush tool. The adjustment layers have their own mask, so no need to apply another  mask.

Select black colour to paint on the adjustment layer with black to reveal the curves effects and use white to restore original effect. Paint only on the curve adjustment layer.  🙂

IMG_9662.MOV 23.95 MB · 2 downloads

Thank you for this post. I am on a desktop so I do not have this version tho. I think you are on a phone 

7 minutes ago, Priyantha said:

Thank you for this post. I am on a desktop so I do not have this version tho. I think you are on a phone 

You added your post to an existing thread in the iPad section. In the future, it would make sense to create a new thread in the right section of the forum.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.