You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PaulhR

First-time poster, completely new to photo editing, totally new to AP,  pretty new to photography.  I really only processed this scene to see if I liked Affinity Photo and whether or not I could get my head around it.  The video tutorials are excellent and laid out in a very logical manner.  I must commend you guys on the work that has gone into them.  I didn't use 'Develop Persona' for this as I hadn't done those tutorials then....I have since discovered how powerful 'develop' and overlays are though...amazing.  The original photos (3 of them were bracketed  +/- .6 ev)  and were taken on a Nikon d90 with a 18-105mm lens.  I used HDR merge, inpainted the tourists, bins, shoppers, bikes, benches and bollards, out of the foreground and mid ground. I used selective masks to retrieve blown out detail and saturate some of the brick tones, defringed and added a final adjustment to overall brightness contrast and a little overall adjustment to final exposure. I am not an artist, I am not even particularly creative...but I was amazed at this software.  The export function was very slick too, processing a 230MB Affinity Photo down to 2.2mb with the slider set to 80%.  Oh and it took me less than an hour on my iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017. I have now purchased Affinity Photo ... I just love it.

Lincoln Cathedral HDR.jpg

Welcome to the forum PaulhR.
The image looks great and it sounds like you did a lot of work on it.
Would it be possible to show the original photos? They don't have to be high-res but something to show people what you've done.
I'm not a digital artist myself but I like seeing what creative people can make out of other stuff. It often inspires me to try things for myself.

Hi PaulhR and welcome to the forum.
It's all a matter of taste.
IMHO HDR software is too little used for what it is intended initially.
And personally, I'm not a fan of that unnatural generated look.
I took the liberty to process your mid-range exposure.
And .. as I said it's just a matter of taste. 
This is the result ....

_LincolnCathedra.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Hey Hubert, thanks for your comments... its funny looking at my original again, I found a colour casting on it I didn't like...unnatural and yellowish. I added a LUT adjustment (Fuji Velvia 50) and it seemed better. Had a look at your website at the link you included in your post...wow. Some amazing images there5a019598a5c07_LincolnCathedralHDRLUT.thumb.jpg.1fc83918dedd640c67497244855b36a7.jpg