You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi Silvecleave,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you tell me which operating system you are using? Has Affinity Photo always been slow to load or has it only started recently? How long would you say it takes for the app to load?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Hmm sadly yes, on the latest Win 10 creators version during tryouts it's also more like "1 Mississippi, 2 Missisippi, 3 Missisippi, ..., N Missisippi", Ok then let's go first to the coffee machine and when coming back let's see if it finally started or get stalled. :/

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

A SSD can speed up things slightly here, though on Win APh seems generally to be much slower behaving than in contrast to MacOS, even the Win system I've tried it out on is hardware wise usually more powerful than the old Mac I use beside that one.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This has been one of the problems with Affinity Photo and Designer since they were introduced. You'll here a lot of reasoning, but it never gets fixed. On an old Core i5 Desktop, Photoshop CS6 - 20 seconds first run, Affinity Photo 45 seconds. Actually loading an image takes an age too in Affinity Photo compared to even Gimp. You are then told that Photoshop has been around for many many years, blah, blah. and Affinity is new etc. then people say that Photoshop is so bloated, the code is years old and isn't optimised, where as Affinity products are brand new code... I've been asking about loading times for a long time now, as have others, but no one's in, no one listens - this is Serif. Loading times are also slow with an SSD too. You might reduce the time down to 20 seconds with the SSD, but Photoshop CS6 wins again in under 6 seconds.

44 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Un SSD peut accélérer les choses ici,.................... que l'ancien Mac que j'utilise à côté celui-là.

Merci pour la comparaison.

L'expérience avec DxO: sur disque dur 50 secondes et avec SSD 15 secondes. 

Merci également à vous  JayH pour votre analyse.

If load time has to be significant, it would be helpful if the splash screen had some kind of progress indicator while the software is loading. Applications such as Lightroom and CorelDraw have a status line saying things like, "Building GUI" or "Loading palettes" - I just made those up, but you get the idea.

Bonsoir.

J'ai refait l'expérience avec A ph.

1) ouvrir Un bureau depuis l'icone 8 secondes.

2) ouvrir A ph depuis une image CR2 21,5 Mpx: 22 secondes.

Configuration

Windows 7 (64 bits).

SSD Sandisk Dashboars 500Go

Processus Intel Core i3 (3; 40ghz)

RAM 8 Go.

-----------

D'autres programmes peuvent-ils gêner le démarrage ??