talus

1.6.6 is super slow when opening 10+ raw photos - Sony A7 format

I have have recently updated to 1.6.6 version. 
I often import 10+ photo, raw format from Sony A7. 

Affinity is super slow while doing this. It's too slow to even switch between photos, let alone post-process them. 

My laptop is Core i7, SSD, 16GB of RAM. I would figure that it should be enough memory to handle 10 files. 

Please advice!

@talus Am I correct in assuming since updating to 1.6 that opening raw files is slower? 

We made improvements to ensure they should be opening faster than in 1.5 so I'm a little unsure as to why it has become slower since updating.

When you open a raw image in Affinity, you are actually opening the full raw file. If you are used to opening raw files in Photoshop, you will know that Photoshop is loading Camera Raw and that just works on a preview of the raw file so we expect to be a bit slower. Saying that, we certainly do not want it to be so slow that it is causing you grief and preventing you from doing your work. Would you kindly supply me with 10 of your raw images so I can do some comparison tests? I've provided you with a private and secure Dropbox link here

Thanks

After updating to 1.6, it is noticeable slower, unsuable at some points. 

I noticed that if I load 10+ raw files into Affinity, I would experience extreme slow response. I couldn't even switch between photos. 

I too am having this problem I wasn't sure if it was the New High Sierra OS or this software. I am using the Nikon D5 and D500 and this is preventing me from completing assignments. 

Files were uploaded.

I updated to Sierra too.

Also, I played with settings under Performances: 

- check "use integrated graphics"

- flipping between software and OpenGL. "Software" yield worst performance (per my experience of loading 2 files). "OpenGL" seems to have relatively better performance, although it is slower than I would expect from a rather beefy laptop of mine. 

9 hours ago, talus said:

Files were uploaded

Thanks talus. I'll take a look now.

Software should be slower than OpenGL but I am genuinely surprised this seems to be slower since updating to 1.6 but I can easily to a comparison between 1.5 and 1.6. I'll let you know how I get on.