You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ideas for Designer 1.7

• continue curve with the pencil tool by rebrushing/going over a curve a second time.

• select similar objects by fill color, stroke color, stroke width, transparency, layer mode, etc. Think of any property you like

• offset path

• scripting

• reset selection box permanently (press reset button+option key)

• transfer attributes with eyedropper tool

• dxf/dwg import/export

• draw a big artboard to combine other artboards to one single for easier printing

Edited by BennyD
combine artboards for printing added

___♥___
| | |    | | |

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, levanon said:

i can´t wait for publisher, need it as soon as possible for work

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @levanon. :)

What kind of work do you hope to do with Affinity Publisher? Unless your needs are rather basic, I think you should be prepared for the possibility that the first release may not have a large enough feature set.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @levanon. :)

What kind of work do you hope to do with Affinity Publisher? Unless your needs are rather basic, I think you should be prepared for the possibility that the first release may not have a large enough feature set.

Then again, even with just linked text frames, image wrapping, and pages it will be more useful than AD alone...

• 1 month later...

I have an idea for both Designer&Photo. Can you please fix scroll bars in swatches on a macOS: when it off (in the system preferences) it knocks out the order of swaches hue (the pannel itself can't be thinner — it's minimum possible width) + the one in the swatches panel is thick and ugly; when it's on… it ruins my perfect workspace alignment (17 by 11 fits perfectly on my MacBook Air with 50% zoom) and just eats free space. it's not really big deal but it would be nice if you will handle this))

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.57.31.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 10.57.48.png

Hi guys,

I am currently fighting in Affinity Designer with the topic of Assets, Symbols and Grouping.
So far I am "relatively" satisfied with the available tools, but there is still room for improvement! 

I've been looking for a long time now to find the content I can contribute my current suggestions and found it here. There are a lot of proposals in different content and it is very difficult to follow them, so I don't know if there have been similar proposals or not. So here we go!

With the identical objects I was able to help myself with assets and symbols, but when it comes to working on other forms in a group simultaneously, it's over with fun.
Replacing symbols or objects with inheritance of their original size and position is not possible in Affinity Designer or I haven't found a function for it yet.

I have found a good example of how such a thing can or has been realized in Microsoft Powerpoint (2013). It is not a real illustration program but the simple way to modify objects is unsurpassed!

What do you think of this proposal?

Here are some visual examples without generating "Symbols":

PP_Group_Edit.gif

PP_Group_Edit_Paste.gif

PP_Group_Edit_Change.gif

30 minutes ago, ChristAlix said:

What do you think of this proposal?

I agree with it. I was rewatching this video on symbols and I used Google Translate so I could understand how the person was getting that result. While Designer cannot  transform symbols as complex as in your examples, new to me is that double clicking on a copy of a symbol will enable you to transform all shapes at once until deselecting. So if you want, you can make a square a symbol, drag duplicate it, and drag duplicate another, resize the second and then double click it. Now you can scale, rotate, stretch and skew all at once until you deselect.

And I like that idea of swapping shapes.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

49 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I agree with it. I was rewatching this video on symbols and I used Google Translate so I could understand how the person was getting that result. While Designer cannot  transform symbols as complex as in your examples, new to me is that double clicking on a copy of a symbol will enable you to transform all shapes at once until deselecting. So if you want, you can make a square a symbol, drag duplicate it, and drag duplicate another, resize the second and then double click it. Now you can scale, rotate, stretch and skew all at once until you deselect.

And I like that idea of swapping shapes.

I know the video and this method of working with the "Symbols" and have already drawn more complex things mixed with "Constraints" etc.... . But none of this has been easy. Just a very simple drawing like the pentaptych or tryptichon is a challenge in AD: (

Check out the complexity of the attached AD (Sombreo_Galaxy_Mask_Layer. afdesign) file.

And here the link to the forum topic: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/53688-problem-with-mask-layer-from-symbols-in-ad/

An example of how PowerPoint works and try to do this in AD and replace Symbols:

Sombreo_Galaxy_Mask_Layer.afdesign

PP_Pentaptych.gif

I'm surprised to see Powerpoint carry these features. I see what you're trying to do, but this is beyond me since I'm not used to symbols. I tried doing something similar, but rather than mask the image, I tried clipping it to each object that makes up a different symbol, and I don't understand the result since they didn't clip at all.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

7 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

I'm surprised to see Powerpoint carry these features. I see what you're trying to do, but this is beyond me since I'm not used to symbols. I tried doing something similar, but rather than mask the image, I tried clipping it to each object that makes up a different symbol, and I don't understand the result since they didn't clip at all.

You mean the whole picture (star galaxy) distributed over all objects? It only works in PowerPoint if all objects (rectangles) are grouped together.

16 minutes ago, ChristAlix said:

You mean the whole picture (star galaxy) distributed over all objects? It only works in PowerPoint if all objects (rectangles) are grouped together.

Well it didn't work, but something I had in mind for Designer was to have a picture overlap five shapes. I thought I could clip it in one and have it clipped in the rest. If I clip just one picture to a symbol, the picture doesn't even go inside the shape. Instead, I get a strange result, but like I said, I'm new to this.

ScreenRecorderProject1.mp4

8 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Well it didn't work, but something I had in mind for Designer was to have a picture overlap five shapes. I thought I could clip it in one and have it clipped in the rest. If I clip just one picture to a symbol, the picture doesn't even go inside the shape. Instead, I get a strange result, but like I said, I'm new to this.

ScreenRecorderProject1.mp4

Hi, Bri-Toon,

I am also new here and always learning to achieve great results with minimal effort with AD.  The fact that it didn't work out for you is not because of your experience with AD but because of a trick with the symbol layers.

You can use shapes as mask layer under an image layer in AD but it does not work with "symbols".  But if you group the symbols and use this group as a mask layer, you get the desired result.

PS: Halfway through your video you were on the right track!

Mask from Shapes.afdesign

Mask from Shapes.gif

Mask from Shapes.mp4

3 hours ago, ChristAlix said:

Hi, Bri-Toon,

I am also new here and always learning to achieve great results with minimal effort with AD.  The fact that it didn't work out for you is not because of your experience with AD but because of a trick with the symbol layers.

Oh I didn't mean I'm new to Designer. I know a lot about it. It's just the symbols I haven't mastered.

You can use shapes as mask layer under an image layer in AD but it does not work with "symbols".  But if you group the symbols and use this group as a mask layer, you get the desired result.

It does kind of make sense actually. Whether you clip an image on a group of objects or symbols, it is the group you are masking, therefor you don't get control of the individuals since at that point, it is one object. The function obviously works differently in PowerPoint. What I don't understand is why this function is glitchy for ungrouped objects.

Here, I tried doing the opposite and not group the symbols. I had three symbols, so instead, I used a picture plus two copies, and I masked them to each. Before doing that, you can rotate each symbol at once, but after each picture is clipped, the symbols are no longer in sync with each other.

Symbols.mp4

Hi Bri-Toon,

Yes, that's how it is, if you separate the symbol layers as a mask layer, you lose this synchronization. It's a bug in mine eyes and I have already reported it, let's see if any of the developers comment on it!

For this reason I first work with group icons and when everything fits, I duplicate the image + mask layer and remove unnecessary symbols from the duplicates.

Actually, I'm not doing anything other than one picture per icon as you already demonstrated in your video (Symbols. mp4)!

Alex

I was reading that topic earlier, but I didn't understand Chris_K's post. Then again, I didn't do the programming as I mentioned I'm new to symbols, so I'm still learning. I do, however, think this would be a useful feature to implement.

To be fair, I think it's understandable that there is no "group" icon in Designer for the second part of your report. It shows how the two programs work differently. For Photo, you cannot create vector layers nor would you need to, and for Designer, it would normally not be preferred to create groups for nested curves but instead for the purpose of organizing them.

3 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

I was reading that topic earlier, but I didn't understand Chris_K's post.

Frankly, I didn't quite understand Chris_K's report either.

I asked him for his answer again today and I am looking forward to what he says about this sub layout problem.

1 hour ago, JET_Affinity said:

Random feature request "collection" threads like this are useless. Individual feature requests should be posted in individual threads, so the discussion of a given request is contiguous and can be followed.

JET 

Hi Jet, I agree that this topic shouldn't be an actual collection of features. Originally, I wanted to hear what people thought of the four proposals I came up with rather than to make four different topics on them. While I'm still open to hear what people have to say, I think this line in my original post may have been interpreted wrong. I meant ideas of my own. After, I thought, eh just go with it.

This is of course a lot to implement, but this topic is meant to share individual ideas that could possibly be added.

On 12/15/2017 at 1:58 AM, Pioof said:

"Select same...."
The missing function.

And if you have spare time, align on click-selected object, à la Illustrator. Much more powerful than align on first/last.

I have been craving some select same features on almost every project.  Especially ones where you have to salvage objects from someone else's PDFs.  I don't know about other graphic designers out there, but this happens fairly frequently.  The ability to quickly select out certain pieces from thousands of objects would save me so much time.

• 11 months later...
On 11/27/2017 at 2:42 PM, BennyD said:

• continue curve with the pencil tool by rebrushing/going over a curve a second time.

• select similar objects by fill color, stroke color, stroke width, transparency, layer mode, etc. Think of any property you like

• offset path

• scripting

• reset selection box permanently (press reset button+option key)

• transfer attributes with eyedropper tool

• dxf/dwg import/export

• draw a big artboard to combine other artboards to one single for easier printing

Yeah. I love the new sculpt mode for the pencil in 1.7 Beta

___♥___
| | |    | | |