You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff
4 minutes ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

warp tool, not tried it yet, but I don't see any mention of a non destructive perspective/skew tool

I think what you are asking for is they are one Vector warp. Perspective is a type of warp handled in the layers panel (about 4:30 in)

Vector Warp:

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

45 minutes ago, Snow Creative said:

That looks fantastic.

it kinda is.. it works fairly well. Could use snapping though, and moving in a straight line when you hold shift would be very very nice too.. But it's the first version so I'm expecting improvements on it in the future.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

1 hour ago, Mark Freeman said:

Nice catch mate….  it’s almost the least intuitive place to put it in the entire app, but whatevs it’s there and it’s badass.

Well not entirely.. it actually creates some kind of adjustment layer to put your stuff in so if you know how it works then it's slightly logical... but that's a big 'if'...

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

"allows you to apply a non-destructive warp over any vector artwork or text. Choose between a fully customizable mesh, or use presets including arcs, perspective, fisheye and twists. Editing a warp gives a super-fast live preview, even on complex illustrations, and gives a true vector end result"

Is it finally here!!??

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/press/newsroom/affinity-v2-sets-new-standards-in-creative-software/#affinity-designer-2

1 hour ago, sheriffderek said:

"allows you to apply a non-destructive warp over any vector artwork or text. Choose between a fully customizable mesh, or use presets including arcs, perspective, fisheye and twists. Editing a warp gives a super-fast live preview, even on complex illustrations, and gives a true vector end result"

Is it finally here!!??

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/press/newsroom/affinity-v2-sets-new-standards-in-creative-software/#affinity-designer-2

Some said it would forever be a dream! Yes brother…. it……... it is here.

16 hours ago, Xzenor said:

it kinda is.. it works fairly well. Could use snapping though, and moving in a straight line when you hold shift would be very very nice too.. But it's the first version so I'm expecting improvements on it in the future.

Yes snapping and especially for perspective warping I would love some centering function. So basically the stuff you usually get with shift/one finger and ctrl/cmd/2 finger for normal transform.

Yeah, that's the problem, Non destructive means also no snapping, no exact and replicable perspective etc... Why they don't call that program Vector Paitner Basic? It has nothing to do with design. Zero tools for vector designing, no extruding, no grids, no proper transform tools, it has nothing, only "vector" brushes (that means bitmap brushes) and some basic shapes to draw... It's a joke when you look what Inkscape offers... Personally I shouldn't care because I rather need only photo editing software, and AP is great, but AD still amazes me how bad it is and how anyone can use it without simple tools that exist in other apps for twenty years. Amazing.

19 minutes ago, Designer1234 said:

Yeah, that's the problem, Non destructive means also no snapping, no exact and replicable perspective etc... Why they don't call that program Vector Paitner Basic? It has nothing to do with design. Zero tools for vector designing, no extruding, no grids, no proper transform tools, it has nothing, only "vector" brushes (that means bitmap brushes) and some basic shapes to draw... It's a joke when you look what Inkscape offers... Personally I shouldn't care because I rather need only photo editing software, and AP is great, but AD still amazes me how bad it is and how anyone can use it without simple tools that exist in other apps for twenty years. Amazing.

Good question, why do you care so much? I use AD professionally on the ipad. Yeah I had to use some workarounds for AD1, and AD2 is still flawed, but overall fantastic, especially at the price, and if you compare it to AI for the ipad there is no competition…. none, and it’s $9.99 a freaking month. Vectorizing is the only thing it has going for it. Your description sounds like you have never used AD, but yet you are on here whining? “zero tools for vector designing” 🤣

There's still no basic perspective/skew tool... I don't think Affinity are serious about Designer anymore. I just want to be able to do simple symmetrical perspective and skew without all the faff involved in the new feature. Even Adobe Fireworks has it & Adobe stopped updating that nearly ten years ago!!... 

I understand that people are unsatisfied with v2 at the moment, but I’m sure the people at serif are reading most of this and will improve. It is still one of the main alternatives. Adobe destroyed the market 15 years ago when they bought macromedia. And when all serious competition was gone they used their monopoly and switched to subscription based licensing. That’s why most of us are here, because the full suite is a fraction of what we would pay at adobe. Of course there are other alternatives. But what I love about the affinity tools is that their general user interface is similar over all three products. I could not make the switch from photoshop to Illustrator because it was so different. But enough ranting, Affinity Crew you need to improve perspective warping and I think it’s mainly a usability issue. Please consider our idea’s and suggestions and make this great software even better.

Thank you 

22 minutes ago, Cpt. Tom said:

I understand that people are unsatisfied with v2 at the moment, but I’m sure the people at serif are reading most of this and will improve. It is still one of the main alternatives. Adobe destroyed the market 15 years ago when they bought macromedia. And when all serious competition was gone they used their monopoly and switched to subscription based licensing. That’s why most of us are here, because the full suite is a fraction of what we would pay at adobe. Of course there are other alternatives. But what I love about the affinity tools is that their general user interface is similar over all three products. I could not make the switch from photoshop to Illustrator because it was so different. But enough ranting, Affinity Crew you need to improve perspective warping and I think it’s mainly a usability issue. Please consider our idea’s and suggestions and make this great software even better.

Thank you 

I honestly think Designer is low down on their priorities.... I would think that Photo on all platforms is a much bigger seller as it covers a wider range of users from professionals to photographers and hobbyists (I guess)

10 hours ago, Mark Freeman said:

“zero tools for vector designing” 🤣

What is so funny? Except a few shapes, standard pen, standard node tool, standard fill and gradient, one transform tool (contour) and recently added knife and shape builder (nice, I admit) it has nothing. No perspective, no extrusion, no free shadows, no vector brush, no mesh gradients, no envelope, no eraser, no distortion, roughen, smudge, blend tools... FX effects? Cool, so helpful when you design something... Of course you can draw everything using only a pen, but...

58 minutes ago, Designer1234 said:

no vector brush

There is one, which is MORE than zero, and you can create more via profiles. Really very rudimentary, but not zero. But is still V2.zero.zero.

Edited by GeRo

1 hour ago, Designer1234 said:

What is so funny? Except a few shapes, standard pen, standard node tool, standard fill and gradient, one transform tool (contour) and recently added knife and shape builder (nice, I admit) it has nothing. No perspective, no extrusion, no free shadows, no vector brush, no mesh gradients, no envelope, no eraser, no distortion, roughen, smudge, blend tools... FX effects? Cool, so helpful when you design something... Of course you can draw everything using only a pen, but...

It’s funny because most tools required to complete the vast majority of potential client’s work exist in designer. Admittedly there are some that would be nice, and would speed up workflow, but as someone who uses both pen and keyboard/mouse I find it perfect, especially compared to AI on ipad, which is junk, I have to rent it periodically for exporting in AI format for certain clients and that. is. it. Speaking of which… if you’re wanting all those things and you are a professional, why aren’t you renting desktop illustrator instead of again, whining here?

5 hours ago, Cpt. Tom said:

Thank you 

I think that is totally fair.

5 hours ago, Cpt. Tom said:

Thank you 

I think your points are fair, the frustration is waiting, so, so long for features in Designer and then still not getting a simple Perspective tool with snapping and constraints. I know there are some ways around some of these things, but it is frustrating that some of the staple requirements are still missing

On 11/15/2022 at 1:46 PM, MCFC_4Heatons said:

I think your points are fair, the frustration is waiting, so, so long for features in Designer and then still not getting a simple Perspective tool with snapping and constraints. I know there are some ways around some of these things, but it is frustrating that some of the staple requirements are still missing

You are right of course. It IS sad affinitys team does not have a better understanding of the needs of us designers. I am glad we got ANYTHING at this point, and at least some workaround ist now possible.

Yes, we got here because of Adobes dominance. For me it is not about the price. It is about dependence from an evil company. Up until CS6, I owned the software. Even now I can use an older Mac, install my CS6 package and open the files I had created with it. If once you depend on newer versions of Indesign f.e., you need an active subscription or you  can not even open your own files anymore. That is a no-go for me.

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2022 at 12:08 PM, Thomahawk said:

You are right of course. It IS sad affinitys team does not have a better understanding of the needs of us designers. I am glad we got ANYTHING at this point, and at least some workaround ist now possible.

Yes, we got here because of Adobes dominance. For me it is not about the price. It is about dependence from an evil company. Up until CS6, I owned the software. Even now I can use an older Mac, install my CS6 package and open the files I had created with it. If once you depend on newer versions of Indesign f.e., you need an active subscription or you  can not even open your own files anymore. That is a no-go for me.

It is clear Designer is low doen on priorities now, you can the developement of the PHoto app and the iPad app vs slow progress with Designer