You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

20 hours ago, Snow Creative said:

I was working on a photo today, and need to free-transform some type.

15 hours ago, Snow Creative said:

Yes, but I'm putting type on top of the photo. The type needs to remain editable. I'm working in Publisher, but this would apply to Designer as well.

Affinity Photo has some distortion options that will allow the text to remain editable but it all depends on what you need to do, for us to say for certain if it can be done or not

Do you have an example of what you want to achieve?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 7:14 PM, Cristian Dragos said:

I was really hoping you guys wouldn't go the same path as adobe and finally give designers one tool to replace both Photoshop and Illustrator. I was really hoping AD would have been this tool. I'm not sure why you're focusing on releasing a publishing software in 2018 when the offline publishing industry goes down every year. It would have made more sense to me to focus on Designer and bring it to a similar level as Sketch because Adobe XD is still way behind and Windows users (like me) don't have a reliable alternative for doing UI design (which everyone does lately). I've tried to do it in AD but having over 20 artboards for a mobile UI design made AD sluggish and at some point almost impossible to work with.

Oh well you have your own strategy and hopefully in time will pay off.

Thank you for doing your best and giving us hope but right now I still can't give up the damn adobe beast and I'm using AD just for personal projects.

Best,
Cristian

+

35 minutes ago, Pligus said:

It would have made more sense to me to focus on Designer and bring it to a similar level as Sketch

I've been going back and forth between AD and Sketch for a while now. I've got an M1 Mac, so my version of Illustrator (CS6) no longer works, and I refuse to pay Adobe's endless subscription fees to get the new version. To be fair, Sketch doesn't have a distortion option for type either, so I still have to rely on Photoshop for this. Sketch is a really great tool, but it has its own shortcomings, especially when it comes to text formatting.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the largest thread for this, so perhaps a moderator could merge these two in here as well?

Interesting reflection that users have been asking for five years about this feature now...

Also, this is in the desktop section, but naturally the iPad should get it too (I was using the iPad when I needed it).

Plus, it should be easy to modify a curve after you've applied the perspective... that's what's missing from the workarounds currently, I suspect.

• 1 month later...

Why are you confused about my post @Thomas M. Braun ?

When I wrote it in 2018, the transform tools were just available for the first time in the first betas of APub, and since they are suited for vector work, it was logical to wait for them in AD. But since they were not listed in the official release note, it was important to mentionned them. You can ask questions if you don't understand something.

I found this video on youtube where someone is explaining how to use free transform in photo and then move it to designer.

It seems that one user found some better solution and made this comment:

"Wow thanks ... that tip about saving the file from photo (with live filters) and bring it into designer .... I found out that if you save your live filter perspective as an assist ... you can just substitute the image your want to add perspective to. I am using an iPad apps and can’t jump back and forth.. but I just save the file as is affinity file and open in designer... I don’t play with the perspective grid when I apply the filter in photo ... open in designer add as an assist and then add assist ... and presto I now have perspective live filter when ever I need it. Go ahead and pass it on  I should say ...to make the live filter active again in designer, just double tap the filter and all options pop up thanks steve"

Does anybody understand what he means ? 

Is this some better solution then what the video shows?

I am rather new to AD so I have no idea what he is talking about. What is assist...?

Thank you .

23 minutes ago, lou772 said:

I found this video on youtube where someone is explaining how to use free transform in photo and then move it to designer.

There are a bunch of threads already in the forum here about that topic!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, lou772 said:

Does anybody understand what he means ? 

I did not watch the video but I think he means adding an Asset, not an "assist."

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, lou772 said:

Doesn't that live perspective filter imported to AD solves the lack of free transform tool ?

NO, since it's not vector based (still rasters all on export) and doesn't support all kind of free distortion transformations (warping etc.).

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

This is not a software product or a common generic tool, it is rather a proof of the concept on its own by reusing some vector warping routines (algorithms). - So actually nothing that people without some programming- and in-depth SVG-knowledge could currently easily use in order to reuse/exchange SVG code with Affinity products.

Text for example isn't handled in an editable SVG text format, it has to be transformed/converted to SVG paths in order to be distorted in a good behaving manner. The SVG bounding box for to be loaded in SVG code has sometimes to be manually tweaked (as other SVG code too) in order to be handled and manipulated the right way by the actually used distortion routines. The to be loaded in SVG code also has to be kept in simpler form, aka too much nested groups and matrix transforms etc. aren't actually handled that well and thus can influence the mesh bounding box and handle points orientation for loaded in SVG graphics etc. - So the whole is more a personal playground for testing and performing some vector distortion operations with some vector related code.

• 3 weeks later...

I have permission to answer your question, hope it helps, so the first step is to convert the object that you want to transform to Curve, by right-clicking on the object then converting to curve, after that change it using the Nood tool / Click A, Enjoy changing the shape of the object at will you thank you.

9 hours ago, Ikbalun said:

I have permission to answer your question, hope it helps, so the first step is to convert the object that you want to transform to Curve, by right-clicking on the object then converting to curve, after that change it using the Nood tool / Click A, Enjoy changing the shape of the object at will you thank you.

No.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 3 weeks later...

Just started getting back into creative work and having this omission for such a basic/standard design tool in 2022 is baffling. I used to use photoshop and illustrator by torrenting them, however I was 100% intending to buy this software due to the price and amazing potential, but there are so many instances of backwards logic or missing features thorughout and the silence from the team is worrying

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, waaahsabi said:

Thread was created in 2017 - 5 YEARS AGO.

Was this addressed? Nope... of course not. Why would it be...

This thread is the only reason I log into this site now…. because I’m a sadist apparently…. and wouldn’t you know? They spent time and presumably money updating the forum since my last login, but apparently NONE on the subject of the longest running thread (of any import) on said forum. Oh, the bitter irony.

Someone once said that Serif were just controlled opposition for Adobe… I dismissed the “conspiracy theory” at the time, but time itself makes a convincing argument.

Canva will eat both of them, and I won’t shed one tear.