You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 weeks later...

Hello hello,

after long searches through the web and youtube I got here and I must say: I am shocked that this feature is actually not implemented in AD. I just was so sure it was my mistake just not to find it...

I'm no programmer at all - but i can not really understand why it is possible to shear an object/text etc. - but not to distort in in the above described way... 

This is really really needed!

Otherwise AD works awesome fluently on my 2012 macbook. Its great fun to work with - but this feature... hell! that was possible with WordArt in 1999 or am I mistaken?

Please work on this!

Edited by dominusblandus

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've read on this topic, these options (the screenshot) are nowhere to be found:

If so, this is really disappointing. It took me a while to get used to AD not having a Shape Builder tool, but now if none of the transform/distort effects are available in Designer... This is just sad.

ad_n.png

Edited by suntanglory

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually infuriating. I bought AD since I graduated and could no longer use the Adobe Suite without bootlegging it. Now while I'm trying to make a mock-up of a business card (ie. trying to distort the final designs onto a photo of blank cards), I found out I can't?! I'm going to have to bootleg software just to make realistic mock-ups for my portfolio.

I know everyone's already said it, but this is a HUGE oversight and a NECESSITY for designers. Having full control of something so simple is what makes Illustrator or AD so attractive, but now I feel cheated.

4 hours ago, justcharjust said:

This is actually infuriating. I bought AD since I graduated and could no longer use the Adobe Suite without bootlegging it. Now while I'm trying to make a mock-up of a business card (ie. trying to distort the final designs onto a photo of blank cards), I found out I can't?! I'm going to have to bootleg software just to make realistic mock-ups for my portfolio.

I know everyone's already said it, but this is a HUGE oversight and a NECESSITY for designers. Having full control of something so simple is what makes Illustrator or AD so attractive, but now I feel cheated.

You can make simple mock-ups in Affinity Photo. I tried it with business cards and folders. AP has it's own Smart Object - embed document. For simple mock ups - it's totally fine. It gets harder and even impossible with something more complicated, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

This is an old ass thread. I really hope they are taking note by now. Affinity have done an exceptional job overall, but without one of the most basic vector tools included a ball has seriously been dropped. With regards to the use of photo to perform perspective. I tried this, and since the lines aren’t vector, the tapering caused some of them to disappear at the wider end. Please guys, sort this.

I'm still quite new to Affinity Designer.

I was just researching about perspective and tools for distortion and I'm baffled that this feature is missing. Is there some way to request features? Are the developers on this board too?

31 minutes ago, Ohex said:

I'm still quite new to Affinity Designer.

I was just researching about perspective and tools for distortion and I'm baffled that this feature is missing. Is there some way to request features? Are the developers on this board too?

As much as my above comment implies doubt, I’m pretty sure they must be aware. Incidentally I’ve had really helpful and chill responses by people either working for or connected to Affinity on here and they seem to be a great team, but yeah, perspective tools should be high on the list. There are work arounds with AP, but it ain’t the same.

Could someone from the Affinity team please speak up?

There are a lot of requests for this simple and basic tool on the forum. Virtually all are heroically ignored by the developer. For so many Designer versions, the community cannot get something that is implemented in every vector editing program.  

To make it clear - we're not talking about AP bitmap operations but about transforming vector curves, groups and text in Designer.

Can you finally show your customers a bit of respect and at least give a clear answer when this feature will be added or why you don't want to introduce it?

4 hours ago, PaulMakesGames said:

Like everyone else in this thread ...

Like everyone else should be doing, this request probably should be posted to the Feature Requests & Suggestions part of this site. I doubt that any of the staff are at this point still paying much attention to this topic here because it is not a question & they already have their hands full trying to keep up with the new questions being posted while working from home due to the pandemic.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 hours ago, R C-R said:

Like everyone else should be doing, this request probably should be posted to the Feature Requests & Suggestions part of this site. I doubt that any of the staff are at this point still paying much attention to this topic here because it is not a question & they already have their hands full trying to keep up with the new questions being posted while working from home due to the pandemic.

Thanks for your comment R C-R. Someone posted a feature request here Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

Meanwhile in free Inkscape 1.0 RC1 (1.0 due to be released soon) ...

image.png.9c9c1203d4e2f70ac2265f83be4265ab.png

image.png.a99ea3755f592bb32f573084782a309a.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

There is a native Mac version of Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/release/1.0alpha2/mac-os-x/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, firstdefence said:

There is a native Mac version of Inkscape: https://inkscape.org/release/1.0alpha2/mac-os-x/

Exactly. Now a native Mac app in v1.0.

"Inkscape is now a first-rate native macOS application, and no longer requires XQuartz to operate. The minimum required operating system version is OS X El Capitan 10.11. It has a standard Mac-style menu bar (rather than a menu bar within the window). Keyboard shortcuts now use the command (⌘) key rather than the control key. Retina display screen resolution is now supported. The build is now cleanly 64-bit, a prerequisite for macOS Catalina 10.15 and beyond. It comes bundled with Python 3 to power Inkscape extensions.!

And Inkscape HAS these tons of vector features people are requesting year after year in Designer so far without seeing anything. THAT is why. Just LOOK at that screenshot and amount of options and measure the distance to Affinity Designer where we are still working with sticks and stones! It is not a wishful roadmap or a wet dream. It is reality in another piece of software.

Just to put the reality spotlight (!) on the forthcoming release of Inkscape that is feature rich. Personally I use Adobe Illustrator CC 2020 for all professional work - but I wouldn't hesitate to use Inkscape for as much as I could if my financial situation or professional needs were different. I wouldn't waste years on waiting for Serif or on pointless time consuming income reducing workarounds. Time IS money. 

The Inkscape release notes this time are impressive. Because they really are impressive. No inflated marketing about massive improvements or "produce jawdropping results" here.

Inkscape should focus on speed and a massive usability improvement for the next few years. The outcome could be spectacular. With the massive layoffs worldwide and the global crisis the world really need this kind of free software. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Hmmm. I could only find an Inkscape-1.0.0rc1.dmg file on the website, & I have only used it for ~20 minutes, so perhaps I have just not yet discovered how to enable its "first-rate native macOS app" features, but so far it still feels like a Windows port, still has a UI that looks & feels like it was designed in the 1990's & has not been updated since then, & does not implement many native macOS features.

It does have a lot of tools AD lacks, but it is among the least intuitive Mac apps I have ever used & the move function of its select tool is so slow & laggy that it is all but unusable. Bizarrely, File > Open offers every folder on the startup drive, including ones it should never expose to the user, like cores, net, opt, & tmp.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

8 hours ago, Andy05 said:

I think, you could just delete "Mac" in this part of the sentence.

It is non-intuitive. Needs UX ad libitum. Just like countless open source programs made by engineers. They will never learn it seems. 

NONETHELESS Inkscape has these features and they work and it is free. This is a fact. 

Beggars can’t be choosers. The real reason why so many here use Affinity Designer and Xara. Not “principles” !

And Inkscape delivers for free. 

I remember my main grumble with the first version of Designer (was that 4 or 5 years ago???) was the lack of any form of vector warping and no support for bleed, glad to see we have bleed guides (but still not on artboards).  

Just downloaded and had a play with the Inkscape 1.0 beta for mac and will prob use it to plug the gaps - the non destructive live warps and all that are great, just imagine how great designer would be with something not even as good? I think "perspective envelope" and "path / simplify" is the feature I'll prob use on a daily basis in Inkscape, until we get similar in designer, although I find it really annoying that the clipboard from inkscape won't copy and paste outside of the app and copying vectors from designer into inkscape just results in low rez bitmaps - so we're either stuck with a bunch of workarounds or THE ADOBE (I don't do subscription.......BURN) suppose I could still use Mac os9 emulated through sheepshaver and run 1998 version of Macromedia Freehand to do the same stuff? 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

3 hours ago, Jowday said:

NONETHELESS Inkscape has these features and they work and it is free.

Well, in the Mac RC1 (release candidate 1) 1.0 version, some of the promised features either as yet have not been implemented, or if they are enabling them is buried in some obscure setting I have so far been unable to find.

Almost all of the documentation is still written using Windows-specific terminology & examples (apparently including some things that have no counterpart in the Mac OS), making using some features in the Mac version something of a trial & error guessing game. Personally, this makes the learning curve so steep that it remains an 'app of last resort,' something I will use only if there is no other app I have that can do something it can.

Affinity Photo