You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 months later...
On 7/10/2018 at 11:58 AM, AndrewDes said:

One request on this... I've been in search for a replacement for the Illustrator "Free Distort" tool, which you can apply to text and maintain vector quality. This is different than a perspective shift or even the tools present in Affinity Photo. Will this be possible in 1.7? Is there any indication of where this is in the roadmap? I can't find anything other than Illustrator that does this well. 

Example from illustrator:

image.png.0c2d7848d3eee3b518216bae986f629e.png

THIS. I am currently giving Affinity Designer, along with the other Affinity apps, a test run in hopes to break my shackles to Adobe's Creative Cloud. I letter comic books, which from time to time require distortion of characters for effect. A.D. needs to have a free distortion/transform of nodes or of a grouped object. 

Other node manipulation abilities (not so much WHAT is being made, but the vector technique being used in Illustrator)
http://www.balloontales.com/tv-shape-balloon/
http://www.balloontales.com/curved-type/

These node manipulation abilities are basic necessities when working with vector objects or outlined text (curves).

Edited by Gwlister
incomplete sentence/grammatical error.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Due,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
What application are you using Affinity Designer or Affinity Photo? Affinity Designer doesn't have perspective nor mesh warp distortion tools yet. It's on its roadmap. Affinity Photo does have raster based Perspective and Mesh Warp Tools as well as a Live Perspective filter.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 9:35 AM, MCFC_4Heatons said:

This is a glaring omission in a vector based tool.

Exactly. Especially when it is marketed as "The complete graphic design solution".

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 11/24/2018 at 5:53 PM, Gwlister said:

... I letter comic books, which from time to time require distortion of characters for effect. A.D. needs to have a free distortion/transform of nodes or of a grouped object. 

Other node manipulation abilities (not so much WHAT is being made, but the vector technique being used in Illustrator)
http://www.balloontales.com/tv-shape-balloon/
http://www.balloontales.com/curved-type/

These node manipulation abilities are basic necessities when working with vector objects or outlined text (curves).

These capabilities are sadly missing and should usually be offered in a vector program like AD. - Nowadays it should support vector based envelope and freeform distortions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I too am after a tool to add what I call perspective to a shape be it a Jpeg or text, I used to be able to do it in Pageplus X8 AD's supposedly lesser cousin, so any news on a tool or AF ability to integrate with AD?
Here is an example, text superimposed over a Jpeg then converted to Jpeg and then distorted to fit perspective of Jpeg scene

Nigel

Billboard.jpg

• 1 month later...

I really, really need to be able to Free Transorm.. I mean simple things like taking a flat shape and moving the corners to put it on a perspective plain would be so good. 

Just working on an isometric logo design and having to switch to inkscape just for that!

5 hours ago, MCFC_4Heatons said:

Affinity Photo has a pespective grid/plane feature 

I saw the implementation thanks to a guy on youtube. Though it is completely useless because it is not in Designer. I would need to purchase Photo just to add perspective to bitmaps, and that would only cover 30% of my perspective needs. I need perspective as a part of my main design process inside the same tool which can apply/modify perspective on the fly to bitmaps, vectors and symbol instances.

Affinity Photo perspective implementation is really beautifully made and this is exactly what I'm asking here as a feature of Designer.

This is the roadmap for designer:

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

17 hours ago, SlavaUX said:

I saw the implementation thanks to a guy on youtube. Though it is completely useless because it is not in Designer. I would need to purchase Photo just to add perspective to bitmaps, and that would only cover 30% of my perspective needs. I need perspective as a part of my main design process inside the same tool which can apply/modify perspective on the fly to bitmaps, vectors and symbol instances.

Affinity Photo perspective implementation is really beautifully made and this is exactly what I'm asking here as a feature of Designer.

Yes I know its frustrating - hopefully the integration between Publisher, Photo and Designer will be seamless in the future - the Betas seem to suggest. I don't mind paying for all three at the affordable prices.

The only trick I worked out in Designer was convert a square to curves select two diagonally oppossite points holding shift then you can do some simple perspective tricks .... buiy limited I know

On 5/5/2019 at 12:39 PM, Painty said:

working on an isometric logo design and having to switch to inkscape just for that!

Check out the isometric panel in 1.7 beta. Draw flash and snap to plane, or draw directly in plane with all designer tools. Very powerful, and not just limited to a standard 60° iso grid. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81876-isometric-studio/&do=findComment&comment=437099

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

1 hour ago, Aammppaa said:

Check out the isometric panel in 1.7 beta. Draw flash and snap to plane, or draw directly in plane with all designer tools. Very powerful, and not just limited to a standard 60° iso grid. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/81876-isometric-studio/&do=findComment&comment=437099

I looked at it but I haven't got a clue what to do with it I'll be honest

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, DJ_Jaybee said:

Needed the free distort today to lay a vector siteplan over the drone aerial image and went back to fireworks to do it... is this feature coming?

It's on the roadmap for sure.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yup Affinity this tool is paramount and should be a stable within the toolset - the ability to grab the handles of any object or text and free transform it....

NEEDS TO BE IN HERE GUYS - WHEN WILL IT COME IN - the last we can see in 2017 is that its in the cards - its Time to add it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/12/2019 at 7:54 AM, Sebastian C. said:

I hope this feature gets added soon. 

Can someone post a new link to the roadmap? the old one is dead.

Serif removed all roadmaps - post the 2014 hype some dissatisfaction emerged and Serif terminated it. A public roadmap isn't the best of ideas, so no problem except the expectations users had for years because they did in fact publish and keep it here for years.

Not to worry though, there are manual workarounds for all of you out there:

Billedresultat for alone in the world

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Not to worry though, there are manual workarounds for all of you out there:

What are the workarounds ? I can use perspective grid in Photo but it rasterizes. A simple perspective tool (called skew tool in Fireworks) is missing. I worked out a trick with the node tool  that can be used on vectors to do the equivelant of the pespective tool in Photoshop - not sure about text and if I want to do the same on a bitmap I have to switch to Photo and use Perspectibe grid as far as I can see?