You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I was wondering if within Affinity Designer is there a "Free transform tool" to allow perspective distort with shapes, this is something that can be done within illustrator where you can take two points and can move them together or further apart with equal distance like the example below.

You can kinda do this with the "Corner" tool set to straight but this is set to only one angle when perspective distort can change the angle.

Thank you for your time and I hope you have a great day.

59fe8f3d20376_ScreenShot2017-11-05at12_09_00pm.thumb.png.def92f4b5302c21ab899dd1c93900de9.png

c14a84770b0aac1bd123b13fbd7e3f16.png            Andrew Salfinger
Made by Campfire - Graphic Designer 

W: www.madebycampfire.com
E: hello@madebycampfire.com
T: https://twitter.com/madebycampfire

I would also like to know the answer to this question.  I love using Affinity Designer on PC (so far it's a million times more intuitive to use than AI)  but not having a Free Transform seems like a bit of an oversight.  

p.s. Free Transform tool should also respect your selection within the Node Tool.  Currently to select some nodes and scale them you need to use the Transform dialog box.

• 7 months later...

You could use the trapezoid tool or use grids to help in drawing out a perspective.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

You could use the trapezoid tool or use grids to help in drawing out a perspective.

This is about transforming something (free transform) not drawing.

Imagine you drag a photo of a building into Designer and you need to fix the perspective. Right now you can't do it. You either have to use another image editing tool which is not very productive especially since Designer doesn't support linked files. I would really like to use Designer as a all in one graphic design tool but I still can't do that.

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!

• Staff

Hi dpcdpc11,
A perspective distortion tool in Designer would be used to change/transform the geometry of vector shapes, not images. In your example if you do want to transform the perspective of an image go to menu File ▸ Edit in Photo... to switch the document (with all History) to Affinity Photo where you can use the Perspective Tool or the respective Live Filter to do it.

55 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dpcdpc11,
A perspective distortion tool in Designer would be used to change/transform the geometry of vector shapes, not images. In your example if you do want to transform the perspective of an image go to menu File ▸ Edit in Photo... to switch the document (with all History) to Affinity Photo where you can use the Perspective Tool or the respective Live Filter to do it.

Hi there... I don't have Affinity Photo since I don't need it. Is this tool too much to ask from Designer? After we already have a Pixel persona and the free transform tool would fit right in.

• Staff

Hi dpcdpc11,
The tools present in Pixel Persona are just a subset of the ones available in Photo (for basic photo editing/image manipulation). The apps of the Affinity suite where designed to complement each other so besides a small overlap on a few areas (Affinity Photo has a few vector tools as well) the devs had to set a line/limit somewhere. This complementarity will become more obvious as soon as Publisher comes out.

14 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi dpcdpc11,
The tools present in Pixel Persona are just a subset of the ones available in Photo (for basic photo editing/image manipulation). The apps of the Affinity suite where designed to complement each other so besides a small overlap on a few areas (Affinity Photo has a few vector tools as well) the devs had to set a line/limit somewhere. This complementarity will become more obvious as soon as Publisher comes out.

I was really hoping you guys wouldn't go the same path as adobe and finally give designers one tool to replace both Photoshop and Illustrator. I was really hoping AD would have been this tool. I'm not sure why you're focusing on releasing a publishing software in 2018 when the offline publishing industry goes down every year. It would have made more sense to me to focus on Designer and bring it to a similar level as Sketch because Adobe XD is still way behind and Windows users (like me) don't have a reliable alternative for doing UI design (which everyone does lately). I've tried to do it in AD but having over 20 artboards for a mobile UI design made AD sluggish and at some point almost impossible to work with.

Oh well you have your own strategy and hopefully in time will pay off.

Thank you for doing your best and giving us hope but right now I still can't give up the damn adobe beast and I'm using AD just for personal projects.

Best,
Cristian

1 hour ago, dpcdpc11 said:

This is about transforming something (free transform) not drawing.

Imagine you drag a photo of a building into Designer and you need to fix the perspective. Right now you can't do it. You either have to use another image editing tool which is not very productive especially since Designer doesn't support linked files. I would really like to use Designer as a all in one graphic design tool but I still can't do that.

Got you, I'm sure in time, hopefully, sooner than later, the ability to "free transform" to create perspective will be added but in the meantime I'd rather use multiple tools to achieve my objectives.

I'm quite fond of PhotoScapeX actually.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 4 weeks later...

One request on this... I've been in search for a replacement for the Illustrator "Free Distort" tool, which you can apply to text and maintain vector quality. This is different than a perspective shift or even the tools present in Affinity Photo. Will this be possible in 1.7? Is there any indication of where this is in the roadmap? I can't find anything other than Illustrator that does this well. 

Example from illustrator:

image.png.0c2d7848d3eee3b518216bae986f629e.png

Seems there's already a topic that addresses my issue, so I won't start a new one but  post it here:
I've recently delved into making isometric scenes and I have a few questions:

• Making a custom "aspect lines" with the grid is a bit tedious - any plans on making an "vanishing point guideline tool"?
  • And is there a way to rotate/skew/transform your artwork (vector or raster) to fit your dimensional plane?

Hope that was complicated enough

Is there like a roadmap somewhere with maybe rough estimates of what is being developed and planned?

Thank you,

Aron

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 10:39 AM, MEB said:

Hi dpcdpc11,

Hey MEB, I’m looking to distort a group of vectors. The group consists of a rectangle, and a  text object (like a label). How do I free transform or manipulate each corner of that group's bounding box to make it appear in perspective? 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2018 at 12:35 AM, MCFC_4Heatons said:

This is a glaring omission in a vector based tool. Any ideas when 1.7 will be released and will it deffo include this?

I thought it would be out with the Beta of Publisher but it can be released anytime between now and the official release of Publisher.

Hi ,

I missed your post, but I see you found how it's working :)

If you select different nodes with the Node tool, you'll be able to use the Construction tools to add construction forms, lines, points.
Once done, you quit the Construction mode, activate the Snap option "Perform construction snap", and you'll be able to work on your nodes.

Have fun!

On 9/9/2018 at 2:36 PM, Hank McCoy said:

That works on a single shape, but not with groups of shapes (such as a complex logo) or text. This is a good workaround for single shapes (mostly 4 cornered shapes), but it’s not a true perspective / distort solution. 

Yep it looks a bit limited in Designer, not sure if its any more advanced in Publisher? ... rectangle/squares it works, but complex shapes/vectors no and can not do for bitmaps either which is a miss for me.