You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.6.1.93 - Win10 Mask Layer and Brush performance

Hello.

First of all let me just clarify that I excellent performance doing anything else, this bad performance is specifally just this for some reason.

But when I create a "Mask Layer" performance just grinds to a halt. it is 100% un-usable.

just alt + lmb to display it takes 20 sec and I can even see how it slowly changes one "tile" at a time into the white mask it applied.

pressing ctrl+i to invert it takes another 30 sec 

and then trying to paint in some information with a brush, simply forget about it. The preview brush under the marker will not even display, and if i do a brush stroke it takes upwards to 1-2min before it displays and then ofcourse it is not smoth at all.

I am not sure what is causing this, I have opend a 36mp .TIF file in ProPhoto RGB, and again all edits such as a regular levels layer or curve layer works perfectly fin, full performance super smooth.

And creating a empty pixel layer and painting with a brush there works perfectly fine. It is just Mask Layers that will cause this slowdown.

I've searched the forums finding nothing to this specific problem, changed performance settings, un-installed and re-installed... but the issue reamins

This is currently making the software 100% un-useable for me.

For adjustment layers using their build in masking capability works fine, but for pixel layers the absurd slowdown can still happen. I just had 3 brusk strokes in a Mask Layer of a pixel layer take 3 minutes before i decided to close the image and then affinity crashed.

The odd part was that it was working just fine until i alt+lmb to display the mask and view it...that seems to be what starts the problem...then affinity just grinds to a half....the brush strokes still happen but at a glacial speed.

On my computer it's not that bad but I can confirm that drawing on masks is generally very slow. I edit a lot of 32 bit RGB files and masking is definitely no fun at these waiting times before a brush stroke is finally applied. This is still the case with the latest stable release.

• 2 weeks later...

This has been the case for several versions now. @Serif: Please look into it. What's strange is the fact that it's only that slow if I draw in the "edit mask" mode. If I draw without showing the mask there is almost no lag.

• 1 month later...

This post starts mentionning version 1.6.1.93, and latest beta is currently 1.6.3.96....

The problem exists in official release 1.6.2.97, I wouldn't say that it makes it unusable on my system (quite low specs) but there is quite some lag.

But it seems to be fixed in the latest beta 1.6.3.96, speedy and no lag at all.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• 1 month later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.