Sign in to follow this  
ckujawa

Non destructive Combine issue

Hi! I picked up Affinity Designer the other night and I'm loving it so far. Since I'm new to the whole concept of design/designer, I'm working through the tutorials you provide and as I'm on the second "for beginners" (ketchup for blood) tutorial I ran into what appears to be a bug in how combine works on Windows 10. If I select the two shapes on top and click "add" the two shapes combine just fine. However, if I hold the "Alt" key down as suggested, the two shapes combine but the curve loses the majority of its fill (the attached images might explain it better). Interestingly, if I move the curve outside of the compound object, the fill comes back. This behavior occurs the same way regardless of which shape is selected first, which is "on top" in the layers, etc.  I've attached the "offending" afdesign file as well as images that hopefully clarify what I'm saying.

book cover.afdesign

before combine.PNG

non-destructive combine.PNG

permanent combine.PNG

Hi ckujawa,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

This is due to an issue with the Smart Nodes used to create the main shape. To work around this do the following:

- select the bigger shape

- change to the Node Tool and draw a marquee around all nodes to select them (you can also shift-clik on them individually to add/remove them to the selection)

- go to the context toolbar and click the Smooth icon (the second) in the Convert section to convert all selected nodes to Smooth Nodes

You should then be able to perform the boolean operation as described in the video.