Sign in to follow this  
SimonM

Edit With in Photos Doesn't Update

When I use the Apple Photos 'Edit With' option to edit a jpeg in Affinity Photo, I can edit the image just fine, but after saving and exiting, the image hasn't been updated in Photos.

Steps

1. Right click an image (thumbnail view or single image view) and choose Image->Edit With->Affinity Photo, or right-click the image and choose Edit With->Affinity Photo

2. Make some alterations to the image.

3. From the menu, choose File->Save

4. From the menu, choose File->Close

5. Close Affinity Photo

The image hasn't been updated.

Using latest update to High Sierra on a 2013-ish Macbook Pro 15" with 16GB RAM. Tried restarting the computer. A similar process works as expected using another couple of photo editing tools I have installed.

I think my error was an issue with Photos, I still used a very old Aperture library. So after building a new Photo library and reimporting all pictures that issue was gone.

I can reproduce the original report, though. Photos "thinks" the picture is still being used by another app and doesn't update it (as can be seen when trying to edit it within Photos after changing it in AP). Not very relevant to me, since I use Lightroom usually (... as long as the no-subscription version will work ... now would be a great time for a replacement from Affinity ;) ).