Digital Mirror

Exporting Artboards not possible

I am trying to export my artboards as I have done a thousand times before.... but since I updated to 1.6, all of my new artboards do not show up with blue boxes around them in Export persona and I cannot figure out how to select them for export other than dragging a box around them as slices. Any idea why this would be happening? I have attached a screenshot of the issue, thank you. 

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 8.20.41 PM.png

I was to post exactly this. On 1.6 duplicating an artboard no longer duplicate its export slice, which render the function less useless for making variations of an icon or image. Tried by alt+drag and with copy and paste on the layers palette. Making an artboard with the artboard tool adds its export slice, but with the default settings. I thinks this is certainly a bug, because the alternative option is unthinkable.

Captura de pantalla 2017-11-04 a las 14.32.55.png

Edited by Daniel Gibert
Changes on redaction and adding screen capture

To ensure is not a local issue on my side, i've checked on different computers with different S.O. settings. It happens in all of them, so this is an issue specific to Designer 1.6.

Checked with Sierra and El Capitan on two iMacs and a Macbook and compared 1.5.6 before upgrading to 1.6 Slice sector not created on artboard duplication.

After more working on the issue, something is completely wrong with artboards and export persona. I'm having serious issues with exporting duplicated artboards. Export persona, apart from not preserving slice settings, is failing to export. Some items on the duplicated artboard are missing on the exported file, even if i created the slice manually after duplicating. If I cut the items and paste on a new artboard created from scratch they are exported perfectly.

Actually, the only way to work is to manually create all artboards and pasting and adjusting items on it, and manually re-setting the export options for each. Slices are only working fine on new artboards.

The company might have had a deadline for the beginning of the November for the release, so 1.6 was a bit rushed and there are still bugs. At least this is how I see it for now.

That's why I asked in Designer Beta RC thread when the 1.6.1 will be released :o  I asked about that immediately after the 1.6 :) But no reply yet ;)  I just wanted to know if it makes sense to use AD at all if the company is going to release the update in the next 6 months or longer. Working with the iOS designs is a poor experience now, lot's of stuff is outdated.

I imagine that the iOS assets should be updated by the company every time Apple releases an update on their website, if Affinity wants to keep AD usable for creating UI designs. And they definitely should get rid of any bugs related to artboards.

I can't comment on the assets as i do not do interface design, but understand your point, tomn. As for the artboard issues, I still didn't found problems with locked elements or artboards, as Digital Mirror.

At this point, AD is usable for me, knowing that I must use some shortcuts to prevent artboardgeddon, but on my workflow, which use a lot of variations from a base design with multiple export setting for each artboard, this could add hours to each work. Hours that i must absorb as lost or be charged unfairly to the customer. Simply imagine the attached image if i must do each artboart from scratch, setting export adjust manually each time (or copypasting them manually) instead of simply alt+drag the artboard.

My hope is that this is an easy bug and can be backrolled easily and release as a minor maintenance update soon, because this is making me nuts on the while.

Captura de pantalla 2017-11-05 a las 9.28.20.png

Well, today i tried with a complete deletion of the app, including preferences, and a fresh install, but still failing, so definitively I discard a local issue. Working with it, but without confidence.

Hi Digital Mirror,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through. Any chance you can provide us the file displayed in your first post so we can take a look?

If the slices are not there you can crate them automatically, selecting their layers in the Layers panel in Export Persona and pressing the Create Slice button on the bottom of the panel. Still this should not be happening.

Hi Daniel Gibert

I've replicated the missing slice issue after we duplicate an artboard. I'm checking if this is already logged and will create a bug report if not.

5 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Digital Mirror,

I'm sorry for the trouble you are going through. Any chance you can provide us the file displayed in your first post so we can take a look?

If the slices are not there you can crate them automatically, selecting their layers in the Layers panel in Export Persona and pressing the Create Slice button on the bottom of the panel. Still this should not be happening.

Hi Daniel Gibert

I've replicated the missing slice issue after we duplicate an artboard. I'm checking if this is already logged and will create a bug report if not.

Thanks MEB

We have encountered some issues with the duplicated artboards, not in all files. On some duplicated artboards (slice added manually) not all elements are exported after creating the slice. I've attached a document and its exports with the example of the issue. If artboard is created manually and items pasted, they are exported correctly.

We are already using the "Create slice" option althoug it has the inconvenient that slice name is no longer linked to the one of the artboard, so it doesn't change on renaming. Minor pain, anyway. Making new artboards and pasting to work with peace of mind.

duplicated and added slice.jpg

original artboard.jpg

artboard issues.afdesign

6 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Digital Mirror,

Hi Daniel Gibert

Yes, I have had to create my artboards using the "insert artboard" button rather than command dragging them like I usually do..... I had lost access to a few hours of work because of this, but I ended up transferring over all of the files to artboards that were able to export. 

I no longer have the file, but this issue is easily evident..... COMMAND DRAG AN ARTBOARD AND TRY TO EXPORT IT. Daniel and I are having the same issues.

Some issues I seem to have that he doesnt is that sometimes I find elements in large documents with lots of layers that are un-deletable. That has only happened a few times though and I end up just deleting the artboard alltogether. 

This update for Affinity is actually quite buggy.... I have had other issues of dragging and dropping two or more pdfs into designer and having it freeze..... almost every time I try to drag two or more. 

Affinity Designer also crashes more than any other program I have..... sometimes it will freeze up multiple times while working with documents that have a lot of artboards..... it actually crashes the most when I move artboards around and the OBJECT SNAP TRACKING seems to overload it or something. 

Hope this gives some insights as to what can be fixed. I absolutely love Affinity.... and if these issues were fixed, I could use it with clients and not feel embarassed. 

THANK YOU