You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Setting Levels to 3 and 253

I new to Affinity and am really enjoying. I need to submit some photos and I need to set the levels to 3 and 253 (they use the photoshop levels as an example). I have not able to figure out how to do that in Afffinity Photo. Can anyone direct me where I can set absolute values to the range from dark to light this way?

thanks, Chris

In APh you can use an Levels Adjustment layer (see menu:  Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Levels Adjustment) to setup instead values for the Black Level, White Level and Gamma in percentages. - So where you would use in the Photoshop levels panel a point range from 0 to 255 (0 white point, 255 black point) and midtones (the Gamma), you will use and setup in Affinity here instead corresponding percentage values. Probably 3 as around 1.2% and 253 as around 99.2%. Just give it a try.

See also:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Just in case that this is talking about output levels, not input levels, which seems like the more likely case for precise settings like this to me:

You can use the "Apply Image" effect with "Use Current Layer As Source" and "Equations" turned on. If you use 

3/255 + ((253-3)/255)*SI

as your equation (for Grayscale), that should do the trick. If you want to use RGB mode, use the same formula in each channel and just replace SI with SR, SG, SB respectively and let the alpha untouched. The first part takes care of the offset (the 3), and the second part rescales your values so your top value is 253. We need to divide by 255 since Apply Image always assumes floating point ranges from 0.0 to 1.0 (and beyond for 32-bit HDR mode) and not 8-bit values from 0 to 255, no matter what format your document is in. 

You can make that into a Macro with sliders instead of absolute values to create your own "Output Levels" tool until Affinity's Levels feature finally gets updated with Output Levels and numerical controls.

Alternatively, you can always use the Channel Mixer to achieve the same thing.