You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: Expand stroke is completely broken

footof

20 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Well, that's the point,you are the customer and you deal with the dish served or stay away from that restaurant.

Haha. You are not referring to a rule or a law. It sounds like life in a tyranny or how life is when you choose to be on the run. Perhaps that is how you chose to deal with such issues. I certainly chose to maintain the feedback chain and to confront the world. And very often it actually works - something changes for the better. People on the run changed very little over the years.

But the amount of feelings and tears on the Internet is unrivaled. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

He (probably) means that for a professional, confronting the world is actually using the tool that really solves your problem. If it is not Affinity, and/or if the staff and company resources are too small to do things like you wish they would (the real problem here,  besides considering the value of your own money is worth *1000 of what it really is in our economy), then, Adobe it is, or should be. Full stop. Unless the tiny money (for a super high end professional of unlimited skills and experience) per month is not actually that ...tiny.  The "on the run" thing... Is not more valiant he who complains more often. Just more noisy. The "because I am a customer I have the extra rights for this or that", given the ridiculous quantity (single payment, too, and you had your trial to realize if u wanted the product or not, AS IS (as was)) of money we're talking about (indeed a little more than an actual dinner in a cheapo place), would make actually some sense if you were paying 50 bucks a month. Not a single payment for a perpetual license. So, there's no base for claiming extra rights over a closed (no perpetual support service) , super cheap product, neither a base for claiming to be more professional staying around the forums of a set of tools that -according to what is said- do not accomplish what you professionally need, and definitely, neither to claim to be someone who confronts more the world or reality than others (which you don't have a way to know for sure in any case), as doing exactly that would mean just realizing what really 50 bucks equals in value in our current (first) world, and as a consequence, being the only mature/practical/professional/smart decision to stick to the tools (Adobe, Corel, whatever) that really solve your professional needs at the moment.

Lol, what tears... maybe what you heard was laughter.... :D 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

1 hour ago, SrPx said:

He (probably) means that for a professional, confronting the world is actually using the tool that really solves your problem. If it is not Affinity, and/or if the staff and company resources are too small to do things like you wish they would (the real problem here,  besides considering the value of your own money is worth *1000 of what it really is in our economy), then, Adobe it is, or should be. Full stop. Unless the tiny money (for a super high end professional of unlimited skills and experience) per month is not actually that ...tiny.  The "on the run" thing... Is not more valiant he who complains more often. Just more noisy. The "because I am a customer I have the extra rights for this or that", given the ridiculous quantity (single payment, too, and you had your trial to realize if u wanted the product or not, AS IS (as was)) of money we're talking about (indeed a little more than an actual dinner in a cheapo place), would make actually some sense if you were paying 50 bucks a month. Not a single payment for a perpetual license. So, there's no base for claiming extra rights over a closed (no perpetual support service) , super cheap product, neither a base for claiming to be more professional staying around the forums of a set of tools that -according to what is said- do not accomplish what you professionally need, and definitely, neither to claim to be someone who confronts more the world or reality than others (which you don't have a way to know for sure in any case), as doing exactly that would mean just realizing what really 50 bucks equals in value in our current (first) world, and as a consequence, being the only mature/practical/professional/smart decision to stick to the tools (Adobe, Corel, whatever) that really solve your professional needs at the moment.

Lol, what tears... maybe what you heard was laughter.... :D 

No, tears. Really. The above: It is not that simple - and I just don't agree at all anyway. No reason to continue.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 9/12/2019 at 9:22 PM, SrPx said:

...or ... as If I'd have gone to a friend's birthday party, brought just one single beer to "contribute",  had ate all the freaking cakes, drunk all the beverages, ruined the couch with wine (actually did that...twice.. in real life.. and still got forgiven...), dance until midnight, had tons of fun, and then get immensely mad because I wanted, just for closing and going home, "coconut milkshake", not "pineapple juice"...  freaking bastards... unbearable.

I'd argue that a better analogy is going to a bakery that advertises its cakes as having the best chocolate, then after buying one you find out its expired chocolate.

As a customer we don't invest in the company, not financially. We invest in a product that is advertised to work a certain way. How is it the responsibility of the customer to be patient when the seller didn't complete their end of the bargain?

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

17 minutes ago, m.vlad said:

I'd argue that a better analogy is going to a bakery that advertises its cakes as having the best chocolate, then after buying one you find out its expired chocolate.

As a customer we don't invest in the company, not financially. We invest in a product that is advertised to work a certain way. How is it the responsibility of the customer to be patient when the seller didn't complete their end of the bargain?

You had ten days to taste the cake.... Which BTW, it's a minimal part of what any pro does before deciding to purchase a tool or, more importantly (as said, 50 bucks go nowhere), decide to move the workflows to said tool : Research on forums, feedback from other pros, etc. And definitely, do at least your main workflows (and seems this particular feature was crucial to a bunch of you) with the trial, previous to purchasing.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, SrPx said:

You had ten days to taste the cake.... Which BTW, it's a minimal part of what any pro does before deciding to purchase a tool or, more importantly (as said, 50 bucks go nowhere), decide to move the workflows to said tool : Research on forums, feedback from other pros, etc. And definitely, do at least your main workflows (and seems this particular feature was crucial to a bunch of you) with the trial, previous to purchasing. 

10 days to taste this kinda cake isn't enough to find weak spots at all.
You would have to dedicate your whole time to find out most of such bugs (especially this one), run dozens and dozens of scenarios...
Research the forums? Not everyone is skilled enough to be able to explain his frustrations or issues. Many of Affinity users are unable to speak English. Many are shy to even attempt.

It's not as simple as you paint it here...

You might have a point there.

I dunno, I'm quite nerdy with apps, I tend to research a lot (not really for the purchase being the issue, but the actual addition as another tool more in my apps arsenal, to use in my projects. Much more important than the 50 bucks. Not talking about testing for curiosity, but integrating it with my workflows). I do the same with hardware. But I really can't extend that as the best habit for everyone. Even more, I wasn't implying that I'd know every bug with anticipation. Who could know that, not even the devs. I see in almost every complaint asking for a refund, tho, that I did look deeper, quite more, before deciding, than a lot of the complainers. I'm used to find workarounds for any workflow issue, certain jobs required it. Is funny, but is not like Adobe apps haven't been full of bugs, issues, and super counter intuitive and even slow workflows, and lacking essential features. And we handled all those, I just believe we're not being so aware of that now, as we are about finding the issues in the new apps . Which itself is amazingly positive, btw. I'm only against the attitude/tone towards Serif, and also considering the only solution possible to wait for the devs fixing (or adding) x or y, while at every place I've worked at, in IT, it's about oneself saving the day (as in u need the stuff at 15:00, not for even the next week), no time for waiting for the cavalry. But I am definitely in favor of the detection of the bugs and/or kindly pointing out (once) sub optimal workflows, when it's really really the case.

I found issues in XSI 4 Foundation after putting the 500 bucks for it, issues in Deep Paint 3D (due to crazy shipping costs, it ended as expensive as 1200 euros, if I remember well)..Handled all the issues in my own, within the apps, or I/O to get the function in companion tools. My main issue is both companies did sink (and happened to a bunch of other applications), company closed, or acquired to be sunk. This of Affinity is a very rare case of a set of apps with a very low price still counting on deep, high end functionality. That then you get unpolished corners that become smoother with the free updates (often after a long time as there's really few coding hands) that's imo expected due to the company's size and the price paid (the 'you got what you paid for' thing). A lot in going beyond that is imo beating a dead horse, as clearly they can't go faster neither re-structure things or code base that easily.

On 9/15/2019 at 8:45 PM, SrPx said:

You might have a point there.

I dunno, I'm quite nerdy with apps, I tend to research a lot (not really for the purchase being the issue, but the actual addition as another tool more in my apps arsenal, to use in my projects. Much more important than the 50 bucks. Not talking about testing for curiosity, but integrating it with my workflows). I do the same with hardware. But I really can't extend that as the best habit for everyone. Even more, I wasn't implying that I'd know every bug with anticipation. Who could know that, not even the devs. I see in almost every complaint asking for a refund, tho, that I did look deeper, quite more, before deciding, than a lot of the complainers. I'm used to find workarounds for any workflow issue, certain jobs required it. Is funny, but is not like Adobe apps haven't been full of bugs, issues, and super counter intuitive and even slow workflows, and lacking essential features. And we handled all those, I just believe we're not being so aware of that now, as we are about finding the issues in the new apps . Which itself is amazingly positive, btw. I'm only against the attitude/tone towards Serif, and also considering the only solution possible to wait for the devs fixing (or adding) x or y, while at every place I've worked at, in IT, it's about oneself saving the day (as in u need the stuff at 15:00, not for even the next week), no time for waiting for the cavalry. But I am definitely in favor of the detection of the bugs and/or kindly pointing out (once) sub optimal workflows, when it's really really the case.

I found issues in XSI 4 Foundation after putting the 500 bucks for it, issues in Deep Paint 3D (due to crazy shipping costs, it ended as expensive as £1 066.13, if I remember well)..Handled all the issues in my own, within the apps, or I/O to get the function in companion tools. My main issue is both companies did sink (and happened to a bunch of other applications), company closed, or acquired to be sunk. This of Affinity is a very rare case of a set of apps with a very low price still counting on deep, high end functionality. That then you get unpolished corners that become smoother with the free updates (often after a long time as there's really few coding hands) that's imo expected due to the company's size and the price paid (the 'you got what you paid for' thing). A lot in going beyond that is imo beating a dead horse, as clearly they can't go faster neither re-structure things or code base that easily.

While you do make some good points, this is ultimately a thread about a bug that hasn't been fixed for 5-6 years. We're past the point of recommending workarounds, especially when we're talking a main feature of a design app. And dw, you're not the only one looking for workarounds, and that'd be fine, if this wasn't a a thread on the official affinity forums in a bug reporting section for a bug that's been present for 5-6 years. This isn't some fan-made forum/subreddit. This is a place where we report bugs and issues, and saying "well know to look for workarounds" isn't helpful at all (neither is frustration, but to be honest i'd rather have neither). I hope the devs will fix this issue soon or at least in 1.8. 

Also, I wouldn't call "broken stroke expand" an unpolished corner. Constraints are an unpolished corner, because they're a side feature that's nice to have but not necessary for core vector workflows. Stroke expansion (boolean operations in general since they're the crux of the matter) is not an unpolished corner, it's a core tool that should be working out of the box. It should be treated with the utmost priority. This isn't a week or two after it's been found out, it's been half a decade.

Mădălin Vlad
Graphic Designer

Anyway, I made clear that I have no issues with the fact of reporting a bug (how could I), not even pointing out a better UI or workflow approach (as we all win from better ways built into the apps). But the fact is that those users are neither going by the book, neither solely reporting the bug, (which is reported enough!) but using a certain tone (with some very extreme cases), and repeating something largely detected and about what the devs are clearly very aware of. So, that'd be neither the place for that (but a subreddit of  that nature, too). Reporting a bug  or questionable workflow is the right thing to do, I've said it since  the beginning. I've done so with a bunch of matters for Affinity apps, since years.  In the other side, If the speech is open, as it seems, and one is not breaking any rule, provided the complainers aren't going by the book, in any way, then randomly determining who can post and in what direction, I will not say is an attempt for censorship (but dangerously close), but when everyone and their dog has gone far from limiting to reporting a bug once, and the devs being aware of it... it is then more of a wish to silence other views, while the fact is that everybody is just chatting, not strictly reporting bugs in the way they should. In other way to view it, I have contributed with the mentioned workarounds in other threads (not in this one, I only mentioned that there tend to be workarounds for each issue), and been clearly rewarded with a big and sometimes effusive "thank you", as often what really counts is what saves the day of the professional or advanced hobbyist. So, besides that I probably do give more value to workarounds, as is the abc of professional activity (nothing is ever perfect, neither will be, in evolving markets/fields) and that these threads end up with everyone going off topic  -the complainers and those who aren't-  , there is  the fact that in other occasions, suggesting a certain workaround has been loved by the complaining user, even if no matter what, will be still requesting at the end the feature or fix with the same intensity (but with the current prob solved). Those temporary solutions would never neglect the need of fixing something that is incorrect, when it is. But will help in getting the work done, and in keeping the absolutely essential versatility or flexibility of using this suite as an option to Adobe's or Corel's. It might also give a better motivation to devs to actually fix whatever it is (for positive association), than the dead horse beating, IMO.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:21 AM, footof said:

After the 1.6 update, the expand stroke function that wasn't accurate with rounded rectangles before, now is completely broken (see screenshot of a rounded rectangle, circle, and a cog).

Upd. It seems to happen only in certain affinity files, not all of them.

Regards,

Anton

Screenshot 2017-11-03 19.18.11.png

Same here. Currently im using Affinity Designer 1.7. Still got this issue. I hope it will solve on the next version! Thank you!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Ghazali Tajuddin, kaiwienen, sebasnieb,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This should be fixed in the upcoming Designer v1.8 (retail). The Affinity Designer 1.8 Beta should be out as soon as it's ready so everyone can test their own files before the retail update and check if there's any issues (no eta for the Beta or Retail).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I try affinity 2.0 , it seem this problem hasn't been solved yet

i hope this problem can be fixed soon, i have been waiting since i used version 1,
I tried using it with other software and it can be solved perfectly with small size too
because I often have this problem when drawing small objects

Please fix it ASAP ... 

thank you..

• Staff

Hi @amerta,
Do you mind sharing the .afdesign file shown in your screenshot please? It's possible we still need to make some minor adjustments/tuning to cope with specific cases like yours. You file would help immensely if you could do so. I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private - just let me know. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hello @MSO,
There's still a few (open) cases where the expand stroke command still fails to output the correct result.
If you are dealing with this issue can you please attach a sample file with just the object that's failing to expand so we can check if we already have such case logged please?
Thank you.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...