You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is Stroke or Fill "Selected"?

Hi all. Thank you for your work on Affinity Designer.

1. Let's imagine that I am creating some vector art (see screenshot, below).

2. My goal is to remove the selected object's Fill color.

The problem is that if I want to use the "/" hotkey (to remove the color) or "x", "/" (to switch from Stroke to Fill and then remove the color) ... I don't know whether the STROKE or the FILL is currently "Selected".

(A**** Illustrator solves this by always showing the Stroke and Fill in the Tool Bar (see screenshot, below)).

In my case, I have to first take my hand away from the keyboard to move my mouse, then open the Color Panel, to find out whether the Stroke or Fill is selected. This creates an extra 2-3 second, unnecessary step in my workflow.

My recommendation might be to add a "Selected highlight" around the Fill or Stroke color in the Context Toolbar which is displayed far more frequently than the Color Panel (see screenshot, below).

Thank you, again, for your work!

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 10.50.08 AM.png

vardoc___adobe_illustrator_cs6_by_sanchan93-d81ndhk.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 11.19.06 AM.png

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi metajake,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to menu View ▸ Customize Tools..., set the Number of Columns to 2 on the bottom left corner, click Close and the colour switcher will be added to the bottom of the toolbar on the left. Hope this helps.

@MEB Thank you for taking your time to explain this to me! This is the best solution to my problem, in my opinion. Thanks again!