You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi jean-georges REQUIER,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no buttons for undo/redo in Affinity apps. You can press ⌘ (cmd) +Z (or CTRL + Z if you are using Windows) to Undo and ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + Z to Redo. These commands are also accessible thought the Edit menu. Alternatively you can use the History panel (on the bottom right corner of the interface by default) to go back one or more steps.

55 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It is the first kbd shortcut to learn after cmd-S.

For me, the "undo" keyboard shortcut is not just the first one I learned, it is also the one I use far more often than any other. Using a button for that would mean moving the pointer away from whatever I am doing & back again afterwards, & would literally have added unnecessary hours to my computer use time by now.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Many thanks for all those infos; you are right, your suggestions are easier to use than a click on arrows; it's just that I am not used to shortclicks; they do exist also for elements, but I don't use them, as I got the habbit to click on the symbol, don't know why. I'll use your tricks from now

For the little time of use I have with Affinity, I am very impressed  with all the functions, and shall go on my learning period

thanks again

• 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 11/3/2017 at 9:31 AM, MEB said:

Hi jean-georges REQUIER,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's no buttons for undo/redo in Affinity apps. You can press ⌘ (cmd) +Z (or CTRL + Z if you are using Windows) to Undo and ⇧ (shift) + ⌘ (cmd) + Z to Redo. These commands are also accessible thought the Edit menu. Alternatively you can use the History panel (on the bottom right corner of the interface by default) to go back one or more steps.

Hmm? Shift+Cmd+Z does not work..?
Is there really such a thing?
I'd like to use repeat command like on Adobe(Cmd+D) or Microsoft(Cmd+Y)
Not Power Duplicate, just repeating action.

• Staff

On Windows redo should be Shift + Ctrl + Z (CTRL +Y). If it's not working please check if the shortcut is correctly set in Affinity Preferences, Shortcuts section. In case it's there but it's still not working rewrite the shortcut again. This should fix the issue.

Currently there's no Repeat command similar to those on Adobe/Microsoft apps.

30 minutes ago, MEB said:

On Windows redo should be Shift + Ctrl + Z. If it's not working please check if the shortcut is correctly set in Affinity Preferences, Shortcuts section. In case it's there but it's still not working rewrite the shortcut again. This should fix the issue.

Currently there's no Repeat command similar to those on Adobe/Microsoft apps.

I don't see Shift + Ctrl + Z in Keyboard shortcut preference on WIndows.
(it's default setting)
Must be a bug.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:20 AM, jean-georges REQUIER said:

Many thanks for all those infos; you are right, your suggestions are easier to use than a click on arrows; it's just that I am not used to shortclicks; they do exist also for elements, but I don't use them, as I got the habbit to click on the symbol, don't know why. I'll use your tricks from now

For the little time of use I have with Affinity, I am very impressed  with all the functions, and shall go on my learning period

thanks again

Hi Jean-Georges - I'm another new user who searched in vain for the undo/redo arrows.  I suppose we are both "amateurs" as I did not know about the keyboard shortcuts either!  I have been using MS Publisher for several years and got used to its simple controls - Affinity Publisher is much more sophisticated but I am gradually getting to grips with it :) 

However, I finally discovered Ctrl Z for undo - and Ctrl Y for redo (rather than Shift Ctrl Z - I think Ctrl Y is easier to remember) which are quick and easy.

Good luck!

Helen

• Staff

Hi ashf,
Please let me check this on a Windows machine and I will get back to you soon.

[EDIT] The correct shortcut for Redo on Windows is indeed CTRL+Y. My apologies for the incorrect information. I should have confirmed before posting. Thanks Helen for pointing the correct answer.

20 minutes ago, ashf said:

Is there a plan to implement the repeat command?

Sorry if this is not what you meant ashf, but if you just repeatedly click Ctrl+Z, it takes you back step by step as far as you want to go (or at least it seems to do that for me!)

4 minutes ago, PurpleH said:

Sorry if this is not what you meant ashf, but if you just repeatedly click Ctrl+Z, it takes you back step by step as far as you want to go (or at least it seems to do that for me!)

Yes I know, just clarifying that what I want is repeat command to MEB.

• 1 year later...

This thread is a little dated so I wanted to see if this has changed. I use a tablet PC with pen so keyboard shortcuts aren't really workable in those cases. A button/menu option is really the only option in those cases. I've ended up just connecting to keyboard and using a workaround, but why even bother having a pen tablet if you can't use it for that? Would be nice to have the history and undo/redo in a menu with buttons--just havent found it anywhere, and I'm not sure if it's on the dev roadmap at all.

11 hours ago, Jennifer01234567890 said:

A button/menu option is really the only option in those cases

Edit > Undo and Edit > Redo are available via the menu, and always have been. Buttons are not available for these functions.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, Jennifer01234567890 said:

A button/menu option is really the only option

As mentioned earlier in the thread, you can click in the History panel (and unlike toolbar buttons, you can position the panel anywhere on the screen).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, Yescatie said:

2021 speaking, is there still no undo tool for the tablet version? I am on an ipad mini and cant seem to find one… 🙏🏻🙏🏻   (aside from using the history bar)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. This topic is in the Desktop section of the forums.

The iPad version does have Undo/Redo buttons, but they are optional and you need to enable them if you want them. Preferences, Interface, Show Undo/Redo buttons.

Even without them, a two-finger tap will Undo, and a three-finger tap will Redo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1