Jump to content
cybertec69

1.6.0.89 issues, Tabs Vanishing

Recommended Posts

Mark Ingram, I got the fix from Nvidia, was shocked how fast they responded and we went over the issues, if anyone else has this issue in the future it can be fixed doing this. Anyone who owns an Nvidia  graphics card needs to do this, right click on the home screen and choose Nvidia control panel, then on the left side under 3D Setting choose Manage 3D settings, then on the right side you will have two tabs, "Global Settings" and "Program Settings", choose the Program settings "as you can change the parameters for each individual programs", once you choose Program settings you will see programs installed on your computer, if you don't see the Affinity Photo software just click the tab that says Add, that's what I had to do, then once you are in the Affinity Photo software use these settings bellow.  The Affinity Photo software works just fine now without having to use the command prompt.

 

Open NVIDIA Control Panel --> Manage 3D settings. b) Go to Program Settings tab. c) Add the .exe of the application clicking on Add button -> d) Now change the following - change the 'Power Management Mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. - Threaded optimization – off - Triple buffering – off - Vertical sync – off - Maximum pre rendered frames – 3 Now click on Apply and test the application
Note: Make sure you click apply after choosing each setting. I have included some pictures below.

2017-11-03 (14).png

 

Update: Rebooted my PC and the same issues are back, will update. Did a whole graphics card driver un-install and re-install with same issue, only works properly by launching the program via command prompt for now, by the way, what exactly is happening  by launching the program via command prompt that makes the software work as intended, not a software developer by any means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have same issue since beta 1.6 flickering/dissapearing UI elements like menus ect...

I didnt report it because im running on older GPU driver also different GPU vendor (Crimson driver 17.5.1 - AMD R9 290x - WIN 7 x64 sp1 - Net Framework 4.7 and 4.7.1).

 

AP 1.5 is fine


Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Danielcz said:

i have same issue since beta 1.6 flickering/dissapearing UI elements like menus ect...

I didnt report it because im running on older GPU driver also different GPU vendor (Crimson driver 17.5.1 - AMD R9 290x - WIN 7 x64 sp1 - Net Framework 4.7 and 4.7.1).

 

AP 1.5 is fine

This looks to be an issue with the Affinity photo software, all my other programs work just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cybertec69 said:

This looks to be an issue with the Affinity photo software, all my other programs work just fine. 

 

Your other programs probably don't use hardware rendered UI. It's not a problem with Affinity, it's just that Affinity exposes the bug in the graphics driver. That's why the --no-hw-ui works, as it stops the hardware rendering of the user interface, and uses a software renderer instead (which doesn't need a graphics driver).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it works well with --no-hw-ui

Will try newer driver in few days, i just need to look which one because there was some issue with 100% memory controller load starting with 17.6.1 driver and newer.


Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

 

Your other programs probably don't use hardware rendered UI. It's not a problem with Affinity, it's just that Affinity exposes the bug in the graphics driver. That's why the --no-hw-ui works, as it stops the hardware rendering of the user interface, and uses a software renderer instead (which doesn't need a graphics driver).

 

Is there a publicly accessible list of all the available command line options such as --no-dwm-warning and --no-hw-ui, together with brief descriptions of what they do?


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

 

Your other programs probably don't use hardware rendered UI. It's not a problem with Affinity, it's just that Affinity exposes the bug in the graphics driver. That's why the --no-hw-ui works, as it stops the hardware rendering of the user interface, and uses a software renderer instead (which doesn't need a graphics driver).

Thanks for the clarification, will get back in touch with Nvidia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So i have updated to newest AMD driver 17.11.1 and issue remain, so have to use --no-hw-ui still.

WDDM 1.1 [DXGI 1.1]


Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alfred said:

 

Is there a publicly accessible list of all the available command line options such as --no-dwm-warning and --no-hw-ui, together with brief descriptions of what they do?

 

No, because they're unsupported and not guaranteed to continue existing. They're mainly to help with QA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Danielcz said:

So i have updated to newest AMD driver 17.11.1 and issue remain, so have to use --no-hw-ui still.

WDDM 1.1 [DXGI 1.1]

 

That's interesting, I originally thought this was an NVIDIA specific issue, but you're getting it with AMD too.

 

I'm now wondering whether this is a bug in a recent Windows patch?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

 

That's interesting, I originally thought this was an NVIDIA specific issue, but you're getting it with AMD too.

 

I'm now wondering whether this is a bug in a recent Windows patch?

Must be those top of the line software engineers they have been hiring at Microsoft lately, they think they can just plug anyone in and the code will flow smooth as butter, cough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure it's a graphic driver bug. I have the latest Nvidia drivers as well, and no issues. There was no such issue on the earlier driver version too. There's an AMD user with the same issue in this very thread thread. Then there are users who developed this issue only after the update.

 

There was also a .NET quality rollup update in September that introduced graphical problems with WPF applications. I'm guessing that's most probably the culprit here.


Affinity Photo

i7 6700HQ, 16 Gig Ram, GTX 960m, SSD (boot)

Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:
6 hours ago, Alfred said:

 

Is there a publicly accessible list of all the available command line options such as --no-dwm-warning and --no-hw-ui, together with brief descriptions of what they do?

 

No, because they're unsupported and not guaranteed to continue existing. They're mainly to help with QA.

 

Oh, OK. Thanks anyway!

 


Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, kumarab123 said:

There was also a .NET quality rollup update in September that introduced graphical problems with WPF applications. I'm guessing that's most probably the culprit here.

 

OK that sounds like the most likely scenario! The Affinity applications are use WPF on Windows! 

 

Patch info - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dotnet/2017/09/12/net-framework-september-2017-security-and-quality-rollup/

Rendering bug info - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4043601/rendering-issues-after-the-september-12-2017-net-security-and-quality (the three described scenarios shouldn't affect the Affinity applications, but certainly sounds suspicious...)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have instaled WIN7 October Preview but issue still remain, now i will roll back because of another issue of Monthly Preview:

https://askwoody.com/2017/big-problems-with-win7-preview-of-monthly-rollup-kb4041686/ 

:D

 

i think, i will keep with that --no-hw-ui command for some time.. its working fine without HW UI


Core i7 4770 - AMD R9 290x (Driver 19.8.1) - 32GB RAM - Asus z87-Pro - Asus Phoebus - Windows 7 x64 ultimate SP1 (monthly rollup) - https://danielmoravek.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Danielcz said:

i think, i will keep with that --no-hw-ui command for some time.. its working fine without HW UI

 

We have played with turning this on by default, but there is an issue where the document doesn't redraw when switching between personas. I don't know if it's on every OS, but it certainly happened on Windows 7. If there's no problem in Windows 10, perhaps we could look at enabling it by default in Windows 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does seems to be a Windows .NET Framework issue, my laptop has dual graphics, an Nvidia GTX 980 and an Intel HD530 graphics, switched to the Intel graphics and I am having the same issues, so it can not be a graphics card driver issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi cybertec69,

Would it be possible to get a bit more information from you at all please?

Could we get:

1. Your version number of Windows. This can be gotten by pressing the Start button and typing 'Winver'. You should see a line starting Version, could you list the entire contents of that line please?

2. A Zipped up copy of your program AppData. To do this go to %AppData%/Affinity/Photo/1.0/ and zip up the contents of that folder. You can then send this to us using our internal Dropbox account here: 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/lhMeCf3BQmuXNOSFyuUc

3. Some screenshots showing the running processes in Task Manager. To do this press Ctrl+Shift+Escape. This will bring up Task Manager. You may need to click 'More Details' if you don't get any tabbed options. Now select the 'Details' tab. Could you take a series of screenshots showing the contents of this list and then either attach to the forum post or to the Dropbox link above.

4. A list of your Windows Update version history. For Windows 10 you can do this by first going to Settings > Update & Security > Update History. Please attach a screenshot showing the list of updates you currently have installed.

 

Thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/11/2017 at 4:16 PM, Danielcz said:

So i have updated to newest AMD driver 17.11.1 and issue remain, so have to use --no-hw-ui still.

Also running AMD driver 17.11.1 but not seeing the problems being discussed here.  Also just checked Windows update and my computer is, apparently, fully up to date.  (I've not yet been "offered" the 1709 update so I don't know if that's significant or not in this case.)

 

Jeff


Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, AMD Radeon R7 360 and Intel HD530 Graphics

 

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem here on my Surface Pro 4, all drivers up to date.
Where can I get a download link to version 1.5?
If the program needs it urgently, it's useless!!

Treiber.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sandersz
Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums

 

39 minutes ago, sandersz said:

I have the same problem here on my Surface Pro 4, all drivers up to date.
Where can I get a download link to version 1.5?
If the program needs it urgently, it's useless!!

 

https://affinity.store/update/windows/designer/1 or https://affinity.store/update/windows/photo/1 

Those builds may act the same way if the OS update is at fault.


Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You were right, the old version doesn't work either.
Today an update for Adobe Flash Player was released, but unfortunately it cannot be uninstalled to see if it's that!?
 

Skizze1.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sandersz said:

You were right, the old version doesn't work either.
Today an update for Adobe Flash Player was released, but unfortunately it cannot be uninstalled to see if it's that!?
 

 

We will look at whether this is relevant tomorrow, thanks very much

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4051613/update-for-adobe-flash-player-november-1-2017

 


Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×