AviTambijaku

Designer 1.6 | 'Expand stroke' tool overly aggressive with rounded corners

A year has passed, Designer 1.7 is out, and the bug is still with us, nothing changed.

I opened the very same file I featured a year ago (you can download the original file right in my comment above, the one with the many previews, and test it for yourself), and expanded strokes. Left is the original, non-expanded icon. Blue is the result for expanding strokes in Designer 1.7. The red underneath is the expanded stroke result in Designer 1.6

So... I'll stick to Figma for icon design and overall UI design then, while patiently waiting another year for 1.8 to make Designer great again...

:(

mazio.png

i have same this problem, this is very important for make icon pixel perfect, ui design.

but affinity designer can't working that.

I buy this software, because i see marketing banner in website affinity designer, they are say this software perfect for make icon

Yes same problem for me. Icon development for clean svg Icons is nearly impossible for me. So the whole program is useless for me. Still forced to stay with AI...

20190611_113131_001.png

if i build a icon set. I can't work with AD because of this problem. We are now at 1.7 and there is no improvements. 

Put this problem on top of our list and fix this, please! 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-12 um 10.20.20.png

On 9/19/2018 at 3:41 PM, Molumen said:

but I'm not holding my breath...

And THAT was a wise move! :D

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

On 6/12/2019 at 3:22 AM, kaiwienen said:

if i build a icon set. I can't work with AD because of this problem. We are now at 1.7 and there is no improvements. 

Put this problem on top of our list and fix this, please! 

Bildschirmfoto 2019-06-12 um 10.20.20.png

I don’t have the exact number in the To-Do list of Matt Priestley (the Developer that is going to address this issue), but as stated in public, he will look into it in the following months.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

I was just about to ask around if 1.7 saw any improvements in this regard but I guess that’d be a resounding ”no.”

Sad state of affairs. 

On 7/14/2019 at 2:27 PM, dr_who said:

I was just about to ask around if 1.7 saw any improvements in this regard but I guess that’d be a resounding ”no.”

Sad state of affairs. 

It is indeed a 'no'

I gave up using Designer for hobby use - a "professional" vector drawing program without actual vector features. Customers waiting for five years in vain is more than any company can ask for. Maybe if Affinity Designer 2.0 gets real and advanced vector features I can use it. Until then... I am a customer, a potential upgrader and an active observer with an opinion. Currently I am slowly finishing a project I started in Designer.

Further... give up and please hire an UX (usability designer), Serif. It is how professional software is made in this century.

On 04/11/2017 at 10:28, MEB said:

Olá AviTambijaku,

Bem-vindo aos fóruns de afinidade :)

Estamos cientes desses problemas com o comando small objects / expand stoke. Atualmente, a única solução alternativa é aumentá-los primeiro, expandir o traçado e redimensioná-los novamente para o tamanho original, como você descobriu. Isso também pode ter sido afetado / agravado por uma mudança recente no comando de expansão de golpe para reduzir o número de nós gerados. De qualquer forma, pretendemos revisar / melhorar o comando Expandir curso em versões futuras. Sinto muito pelo inconveniente que isso está causando a você.

Já relatei esse erro também, é muito chato vindo de um software tão fabuloso.
Ao salvar um objeto pequeno para PDF, também acontece isso.

I can confirm that in the newly released version 1.8.0.585, the bug has been BRILLIANTLY fixed. Expanding strokes is now VERY accurate.

Thanks to the Affinity team for the long awaited fix, at last I will be using Affinity Designer for icon designing.

Here's a preview of the file I originally posted earlier, showing pre 1.8 buggy stroke expansion, in comparison to the results in 1.8.

mazio.jpg

6 minutes ago, ChristAlix said:

Hello users, do not rejoice too soon!

Damn, I didn't catch that yet, but it seems like a less serious problem than it used to be. Hopefully this will be rapidly fixed.

Hi everyone, 
If you stumble upon any case where the expand stroke command still fails, please create a new thread (make sure you have Expand stroke issue in the title) in the respective bug section with a sample file for us to add to our log for further testing/checks against new code revisions. Thank you.