You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crop to specified width and height

I know this is an old post but I too am frustrated by the crop tool.  And the perspective tool too!  The former because with PS I could quickly set the dimensions and crop to it as a quick way to resize my document's overall absolute dimensions e.g. to reduce to a pixel dimension that is not quite the same as the open image.  Still can't do it.

And perspective tool - great for setting to source and correcting verticals but twice I have noticed (often when back in develop mode and using Overlay and edge aware to refine part of the image) that there is a vertical line as if two images were being blended but not quite.  Te red overlay stop at a barely perceptible line!

• 4 months later...

Hi. I want to say thank you to the creators of this program, it's great. And even strange that in such a thoughtful product there is a big flaw in the form of a crop tool. I talked some user, he prints photos of different formats from photoshop, he has a set of settings for the sizes, for example 100X150 mm and 300 dpi. Dude takes any photo of any resolution and leads to the correct size. This is not in AffinityPhoto! Poor thing has to renew the subscription to Photoshop =(

• 5 months later...

Here is what I've discovered on crop preset editing.

You have to select the ratio you want as your new named preset's ratio, then give it a name. In other words, set up the characteristics for your preset first, then assign those characteristics a name.

To start the process of creating a new named preset:

1. Choose the Crop tool.
  2. From the context toolbar Mode dropdown, choose "Custom Ratio."
  3. Set the width and height dimensions to any pair of integers that match the ratio you want: 4x5, 8x10, 16x20, 1600x2000 - it doesn't matter other than that the initial display of the "crop box" will be the number of pixels you choose (assuming you chose Pixels as the Units value).
  4. From the Mode dropdown, choose Add Preset.
  5. Give it a name.

If you accidentally create a named preset before defining its characteristics, simply delete that named preset and then follow the steps above to create the preset "again".

I have to agree that the process of creating and "managing" crop presets is kludgy. I suggest adding a Preset Manager tool in Preferences.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.