vstrava

Instant crash 1.6 - no 3rd party software installed

Hello there, 

Just bought the software. I had the trial and thought I'd try the update to see what it was like. Unfortunately, while the trial worked, the updated version doesn't. I have looked at and read a few posts (about 3rd party software screwing with the software) but haven't been able to find a solution. 

When I run the application, I see the icon briefly on the taskbar, an error sound and then it's gone. No pop up with an error, no active running program or anything. At this point, I have used BCuninstaller to remove everything I possibly could, regarding the installation and then restarted and reinstalled. Same issue. I removed anything that might use the d3d libs, blender and Inkscape were removed. Restarted and nothing. 

Regards 

Dev

8 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi vstrava,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry you are having issues with the update. Can you please try press and hold CTRL while launching the application, tick all boxes, then select Clear from the dialog that will open?

Does it still crash after the reset?

Nothing new happens, same sound and then the icon disappears instantly. 

7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

@MEB - I imagine he doesn't even get that far!

@vstrava, I assume you don't see the splash screen? If you look in %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\Log.txt I assume it's empty?

There is no such directory or file. Going up, I found %APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\trial but nothing else. No 1.0

10 minutes ago, kumarab123 said:

@vstrava It's probably not your issue. But you could try redownloading the installer. Remote possibility, but maybe it's a corrupt download?

Redownloaded. Repaired. Nothing. Uninstalled again, used the new file and nothing 

2 minutes ago, vstrava said:

Redownloaded. Repaired. Nothing. Uninstalled again, used the new file and nothing 

Sorry to hear that man. Must be frustrating. Hope you get this issue resolved asap. Good luck!

Affinity Photo

i7 6700HQ, 16 Gig Ram, GTX 960m, SSD (boot)

Windows 8.1 64 Bit

Just now, kumarab123 said:

Sorry to hear that man. Must be frustrating. Hope you get this issue resolved asap. Good luck!

yeah, gonna need a fix soon. Can't afford to wait months for this to be solved

Make sure .net 4.6.2 in installed and not 4.7, it may also be worth trying uninstalling 4.6.2 and reinstalling that.

Also make sure your video drivers are up to date and can you tell us the make/model of your graphics card.

Living the Dream since 1964 - about 25 years left

1 hour ago, pauls said:

Make sure .net 4.6.2 in installed and not 4.7, it may also be worth trying uninstalling 4.6.2 and reinstalling that.

Also make sure your video drivers are up to date and can you tell us the make/model of your graphics card.

That's going to be hard as 4.7.1 ships with the fall creators update. Tho, 4.6.2 is listed as installed. 

Yes I am. Sorry for the slow reply, I had to work on other projects. 

I don't have a dedicated gfx card on this machine. It just has the Intel HR 4600 set on it. (that worked fine with the trial) 

I used --no-hw-ui, it didn't change the behaviour. I have since uninstalled it and used the newer version, but the problem persists.