You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Photos - Edit In Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Great update guys, many thanks. This may be an Apple Issues but when editing images held in Apple Phots with Affinity via Edit In I get this - I send a raw (nef) file to Affinity and end up with a tiff in Affinity (Not too bad but would prefer RAW). I send a tiff from Apple Photos and end up with a jpeg in Affinity (not acceptable). 

Is there a reason for this behaviour?  If it is unavoidable it probably renders the idea of using Apple Photos redundant, which is a great shame.

Thank you

Colin

I'm experiencing the exact same scenario as ColinG. I think the round-trip scenarios between Apple Photos and Affinity Photo changed with the 1.6.6 version of Affinity Photo.

There are also issues with editing raw (NEF) files via the Edit menu in Apple Photos.

1. Edit in Affinity Photo

2. Affinity Photo opens in Develop persona but no image is shown.

If I click Develop button Affinity Photo crashes.

Screen Shot 2017-11-05 at 17.57.08.png

Edit With Affinity Photo from Apple Photos and the file loads in Affinity with the file type across the top. It is not opening a raw file it is def opening a tiff in Affinity. So if using open with on a raw it opens in Affinity as a tiff. Open with on a tiff opens as a jpeg. Worse than useless really.

Just opened another raw and this time it opened in Affinity as a jpeg. The difference between the two raws is one has been edited whilst in Apple Photos and the other has not been edited whilst in Apple Photos. Seems complete and utter rubbish to me. Why bother eh!

4 hours ago, ColinG said:

Are you using Edit With or the extension? I am using the former. And there was an update to Apple Photos with High Sierra - you probably do not have the Edit With function.

In version 2.x of Apple Photos, the extension appears as "Edit in Affinity Photo." Photos always keeps the original version when any edits are done & applies the edits to an internally stored copy.

RAW format files passed to Affinity Photo through the extension open in the Develop Persona. If the file that is developed in Affinity Photo exceeds a 16 MB limit (set by Photos, not Affinity Photo) when it is passed back to Photos, there is a notification at the bottom of the Photos edit page that the file will be "flattened" if the "Save Changes" button is clicked.

Flattened or not, the file will still show the RAW extension in the Photos Info window -- that applies to the original, not the copy containing the edits.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I am not concerned re Photos retaining the original, that make perfect sense. What concerns me is the behaviour when it hands a file off to Affinity - the original file format will often be changed. Just opened a raw with Edit With and it opened as a Tiff, opened another and it became a jpeg. Opened a tiff and it stayed a tiff, opened another and it became JPEG. Something is very wrong here.

• Staff

Check if the extensions are enabled in System Preferences. Sometimes extensions are not automatically enabled.

Go to (Mac) System Preferences, Extensions section, select Photos Editing on the left list and make sure all Affinity extensions are ticked on the right.

Are you using an administrator or a limited user account?

It is worse. if I open a raw that has not been edited in Apple Photos then it opens in the Develop Persona but it remains blank (but shows the image details). If I open a raw that has been edited in Apple Photos it opens in the Photo Persona but I know not in which format as it just says Apple Photos Doc. The camera is either a Nikon D5100 or D5300.

1 minute ago, ColinG said:

Opened a raw filer in the extension but have no way of knowing what the file type is - it just says apple photos document. It did not open in the raw editor so it must be something other than the raw?

FWIW, "Apple Photos Document" is the same title I get with Apple Photos v2.x. But for me, if the original file is in any supported RAW format, it always opens in Affinity Photo's Develop Persona. Otherwise, it opens in the Photo Persona.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

I've just tested the Edit with Affinity Photo extension with some Nikon D5100 and D5300 RAW samples (NEF) and it seems to be working as expected. Using the extension in Apple Photos will open the original RAW files in Develop Persona and when closing the document/saving it in Affinity Photo the image isa sent back to Apple Photos as an edited version (which you can always revert back to the original). Can you please use the upload link i provided above to upload one of the NEF files you are having trouble with for us to check out?

Regarding exporting files from Apple Photos, you can export the original RAW (NEF) file, selecting its thumbnail then going to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo... or File ▸ Export ▸ Export 1 Photo to export the modified/edited version.

Edited by MEB