You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Photos - Edit In Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Well not working here using extensions - Affinity Photos. Unedited raws open the develop persona but no image shows - file details appear though. Edited raws open as jpegs in the Develop Persona. So either something has corrupted AP or we are looking at different things here :-(

• Staff

Thanks for the file ColinG. I'm having trouble reproducing your issue here. Your file (non-edited) is opening correctly for me in Affinity Photo (see screenshot below) when using the Edit in Affinity Photo extension. Note the title bar stating that the file come from Apple Photos. It also opens correctly for me when i open the NEF directly from Finder.

Can you please try press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application from Launchpad or from the Applications folder then select Clear from the dialog that will open (keep the first three boxes ticked) to reset the app? You may lose some prefs/layout customisation but it may be fix the issue.

affinity_photo.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for the image. Do the following: with the image open in Develop Persona (even blank) go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... and change the first dropdown (RAW Engine) to Serif Labs. This should fix the issue for you. For some reason the Apple (Core Image RAW) engine isn't loading the file despite the camera being supported according to their list. Out of curiosity: do you have RAW compression or a similar setting enabled on your camera?

That fixed it. No compression etc on though. Strange though when I complete the edit and then close Affinity to get back to photos I am asked if I wish to save the file. I say no. However the edit does not pass to affinity but I go back to a completely different photo. I close that and the image I am working on is open but showing no edits!

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 17.56.55.png

• Staff

Hi ColinG,

Simply click cancel on that window (from the screenshot you posted above). That happens if you don't save the edits/cancel the operation in Affinity Photo.

To send the image back from Affinity Photo to Apple Photos, close the document tab in Affinity and save the changes. Note that you must close the document tab to see the changes reflected in Apple Photos. You then have to save them again in Photos clicking the Save Changes button on the top right corner to keep them.

Yup cracked it. Think we are there now. One thing, cancelling develop and then closing Affinity and cancelling the intermediate window does not kill the intermediate window. It is there again next time. The only way to kill it is to go through the complete develop process save the file, quit Affinity and then cancel the intermediate screen.

MEB thanks so very much for your help. First class service plus some I would say :-)

14 minutes ago, owenr said:

The extension and Apple Photos 2.0 on macOS 10.12.6.

I have been working through the extension with MEB as apparently there are issues with Edit With. I am on Photos version 3 and a fully updated High Sierra (10.13.1). Edit With is there but does not work as expected - that is not the same way as the extension.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:32 PM, MEB said:

I've just tested the Edit with Affinity Photo extension with some Nikon D5100 and D5300 RAW samples (NEF) and it seems to be working as expected. Using the extension in Apple Photos will open the original RAW files in Develop Persona and when closing the document/saving it in Affinity Photo the image isa sent back to Apple Photos as an edited version (which you can always revert back to the original). Can you please use the upload link i provided above to upload one of the NEF files you are having trouble with for us to check out?

Regarding exporting files from Apple Photos, you can export the original RAW (NEF) file, selecting its thumbnail then going to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export Unmodified Original For 1 Photo... or File ▸ Export ▸ Export 1 Photo to export the modified/edited version.

Hi MEB

I am having the same issue with opening Nikon raw-files in Affinity Photo via the Edit with.. context option in Apple Photos. In my case the raw file from Apple Photos shows up in Affinity Photo as a tiff.  

Another Apple Photos -> Affinity Photo scenario that I am having is this:

1. Image (raw-file) open in Apple Photos

2. Press EDIT  in Apple Photos to edit in Affinity Photos (see attached image).

3. File opens in the Develop person but no image is shown, only the grey background.

If I press Develop -> Affinity Photos crashes (see attached txt file for crash info)

The raw-files have been shot with a Nikon D300. I would be happy to provide a NEF-file for you guys if you need it. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help in pinpointing this issue further.  

All the best

/Henrik

Screen Shot 2017-11-08 at 20.35.08.png

Affinity Photo - Crash.rtf

• 1 year later...

I am having an issue with opening the a raw file from Photos to AP.  I open the apple Photos app, select my image (raw), then press the edit button.  In edit mode i click on the “...” button to open the Apple Photos extensions.  I select “edit with affinity photo” option and AP opens in the develop persona.  The problem is that either Apple Photos or AP is STUCK opening ONE raw file, no matter which photo i try to edit with the “edit with affinity photo” extension the same raw photo file opens for any of my photos. Any help?  TIA.

using:  macOS mojave (latest), nikon d5300.