You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

Anyone knows what is a good method to convert color images to greyscale non-destructively? Except the Black & White feature.

I'm working on a school yearbook, most of the images is groups of children, class group images and sport group images.

Thank you.

31 minutes ago, Luko said:

Anyone knows what is a good method to convert color images to greyscale non-destructively? Except the Black & White feature.

If you apply a Black and white Adjustment layer, that is 100% non-destructive and gives you a greyscale image. Why do you want to "Except" that ?

Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Black & White Adjustment

bw.jpg.e5c1649548d1fba9f0de37505d5b7027.jpg

bwlayers.png.25bcdc535e1422e52297f1a3bf8db8fa.png

You can turn the Adjustment layer off, or delete it and the original image is, er, original.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Hi Toltech,

Thank you for the reply. Just need to make sure the Black & White is the best method, specifically for people.

I used to do this in PS: 

1. Levels - as desired
2. Ctrl + J (for layer)
3. Shift + Ctrl + U (for desaturate)
4. Shift + Ctrl + F (for fade desaturate) (blending mode to color)
7. Flatten
8. Greyscale

Is it best to do colour correction before starting with the Black & White method?

Thank you.

Just now, Luko said:

Hi Toltech,

Thank you for the reply. Just need to make sure the Black & White is the best method, specifically for people.

I used to do this in PS: 

1. Levels - as desired
2. Ctrl + J (for layer)
3. Shift + Ctrl + U (for desaturate)
4. Shift + Ctrl + F (for fade desaturate) (blending mode to color)
7. Flatten
8. Greyscale

Is it best to do colour correction before starting with the Black & White method?

Thank you.

That's a very hard way of doing it. Photo's Black & White adjustment layer is fast, easy and very good..

Do not do a colour correction first, that is destructive !

Remember, that you can adjust the black and white adjustment to get the effect you want. As I'm sure you know, some colours can look a bit odd when converted. especially reds which can go white.

When you have made the adjustments for one image, you can save a preset for the Adjustment Layer, then apply that to any other image. Make as many presets as you want

presets.png.7c5bbd4573350aef20239b799132eee1.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 hours ago, Luko said:

Anyone knows what is a good method to convert color images to greyscale non-destructively?

Different methods can produce different results.  I showed the difference between a few different methods in the following post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/36453-can-you-convert-from-color-to-grayscale-andor-blackwhite-in-affinity-designer-andor-photo/#comment-179816