jzedan

update 1.6.6 goes down when entering preferences

Hi, update 1.6.6 Affinity Photo recently, when I enter preferences the application closes. 
Delete it and download again and it seems to have solved

I'm also having this at High Sierra and 1.6.6.

When i enter preferences the application crashes.

Already reinstalled it but nothing changes.

Can you please give us an update?

System: MacBook Pro 2016, 2GB Radeon 455, 512GB, 2,7GhZ

2 hours ago, Chris_K said:

Hi jzedan

Glad you sorted it. 

dennzulus, can you start the app with ctrl held down and press clear on the dialog that appears for you. This should sort it

Thanks 

Problem solved :) Thank you!

yes! i can use my preference since a 'clear' during restart with the control-key pressed. but now all my nik plug-ins are gone. adding my nik collection again only results in a list of unknown applications. i can find them in the filters menu, but each of them opens as can be seen on the screenshot i will upload with this entry: close the window or buy the product. neither button works. in the former version of affinity my nik filers worked flawless.

any suggestion how to solve this problem?

btw: i also use macphun plug-ins (like luminar, tonality and intensify) in lightroom, but they don't work in affinity. they do appear in the filters menu but clicking the menu items results in absolutely nothing.

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-03 om 16.46.54.png

Hi illusie,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Go to Affinity Photo Preferences. Photoshop Plugins section, then click the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again on the Finder dialog that will open. Additionally tick the Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used on the bottom left of the Photoshop Plugins Preferences windows in Affinity Photo, close the Preferences and restart Affinity Photo. Let us know if it fixed the issue.

Currently none of the Macphun plugins or external editors (Luminar, Aurora HDR) work with Affinity Photo. For more details about which plugins work with Affinity please check this page (currently being updated for 1.6). Click on the name of each plugin for more details.

thanks for your answer, but it's not the solution for the problem.

i emptied all fields of the plug-ins section.

restarted.

followed your suggestion.

no plugins were revealed in the listing of plug-ins in the preferences. i tried the filters menu, but: no nik plug-ins.

then i emptied all fields and installed the nik apps from the photoshop plug-ins folder in the normal way and clicked the authorize global button en followed the procedure.

with the same result.

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-03 om 17.55.27.png

Hi illusie,

You have to set three things:

- the path to the plugins folder (it can be the Photoshop Plugins folder no issues with that)

- you have to press the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again from the Finder dialog 

- finally also  tick the Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used box

Restart Affinity Photo and check the filters menu.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

the three screenshots show the sequence in the way you suggested.

yes, the nik plug-ins show in the filter menu, but the nik apps stop at the window by saying my trial version has expired. accessing the same plugins via photoshop or lightroom gives no problem.

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-03 om 18.19.36.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-03 om 18.20.02.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-11-03 om 18.20.21.png

I can't get to Preferences to do anything with it- it crashes as soon as I select Preferences in menu.  Here's part of the crash report:

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

Application Specific Information:
Crashing on exception: NSConcreteAttributedString initWithString:: nil value

Hi illusie,

Remove that path from the input field right above the Authorise Global button (in the Plugin Support folders). Then click the Authorise Global button and then Authorise again from the Finder dialog that will open (do NOT pick any path here - it must default to your Macintosh HD drive). You should only see a forward slash "/" in the input field in the Plugin Support folders. Restart Affinity after these changes and the plugins should work.

9 minutes ago, MEB said:

The issue is in Plugin Support folders. Remove that path from there, then click the Authorise Global button , then Authorise again in the Finder dialog that will open.

I am not a programmer, so don't understand where this is.  I don't see anything named Plugin Support in either Library, or in the Applications folder.  Don't see anything in the menu dropdowns.  A search in Finder for Plugin Support yields nothing named that.

Could you please give me a path/directions to access the relevant items?

Thank you.

Hi @SWRick,

I'm not sure i'm following you. You said you were having trouble with the Preferences dialog - it was crashing the app when you tried to access it. If that's the issue please press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application then select Clear from the dialog that will appear. This will fix the crash issue.

If you are also trying to set up the plugins please do so after reseting the app. Just to clear things up: what application are you running? Affinity Designer or Photo? and on what operative system?

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Illusie,

Remove that path from the input field right above the Authorise Global button (in the Plugin Support folders). Then click the Authorise Global button and then Authorise again from the Finder dialog that will open (do NOT pick any path here - it must default to your Macintosh HD drive). You should only see a forward slash "/" in the input field in the Plugin Support folders. Restart Affinity after these changes and the plugins should work.

yes, that's it.

works perfectly now.

the problem was that i followed the path to the plug-in directory. but slash only was the solution.

thanks for the help.

58 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi @SWRick,

I'm not sure i'm following you. You said you were having trouble with the Preferences dialog - it was crashing the app when you tried to access it. If that's the issue please press and hold ⌃(ctrl) while launching the application then select Clear from the dialog that will appear. This will fix the crash issue.

If you are also trying to set up the plugins please do so after reseting the app. Just to clear things up: what application are you running? Affinity Designer or Photo? and on what operative system?

Thank you, that enabled me to access the Preferences- before, choosing "Preferences" from the "Affinity Photo" Dropdown menu immediately crashed the program.  Plugins had been there, now are blank.  I don't think I had installed them previously myself, assumed they were added by the external programs.  The Macphun apps/plugins were there, so I will not install them.  Do you know if Luminar etc automatically install the plugins in Affinity Photo when they put them in Photoshop?  If so, then I assume installing Luminar 2018, when it comes out, will again cause problems??

No, on a Mac only the Neat Image plugin recognises Affinity Photo automatically and install the necessary files accordingly. For all the others you must add their path to the Plugin Search Folder input field in Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section. If you happen to have Photoshop installed with all your plugins already running from there you can add the Photoshop Plugins folder to the Plugin Search Folder input field in Affinity and all recognised plugins will be added to Affinity Photo as well.

Besides the path you also have to:

-  press the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again from the Finder dialog (don't select any folder here - it should point to your Macintosh HD by default which is want we want)

- also tick the Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used box

Then restart Affinity Photo.

Macphun plugins and software (Luminar, Aurora HDR) don't work with Affinity Photo. Check this page for more details about which plugins are supported. Click on each plugin name for additional details.

1 hour ago, MEB said:

No, on a Mac only the Neat Image plugin recognises Affinity Photo automatically and install the necessary files accordingly. For all the others you must add their path to the Plugin Search Folder input field in Affinity Photo Preferences, Photoshop Plugins section. If you happen to have Photoshop installed with all your plugins already running from there you can add the Photoshop Plugins folder to the Plugin Search Folder input field in Affinity and all recognised plugins will be added to Affinity Photo as well.

Besides the path you also have to:

-  press the Authorise Global button, then Authorise again from the Finder dialog (don't select any folder here - it should point to your Macintosh HD by default which is want we want)

- also tick the Allow "Unknown" plugins to be used box

Then restart Affinity Photo.

Macphun plugins and software (Luminar, Aurora HDR) don't work with Affinity Photo. Check this page for more details about which plugins are supported. Click on each plugin name for additional details.

Again, thank you- worked as described :)   I see the Macphun et al plugins are there as well as the ones which are on your list of compatible plugins.  I see only 2 of the Nik plugins show in Prefs as "Working", but Silver Efex Pro 2 (marked in Prefs as "unknown") does work, as per your list.  The ones you say are not compatible also show up as "unknown".  There doesn't seem to be a way to delete the incompatible plugins, and when you try to use one, the program freezes, needing a forced quit.  Other than having the list handy or gaining regular experience to learn the list, is there any way to remove the incompatible plugins so you don't wind up having to force quit potentially unsaved work should you choose an incompatible plugin?

duh, easiest solution was now to deinstall the nik, then install again, but create a new folder for the Nik Plugins only on the desktop... now all works perfectly fine,

If I create the plugins folder anywhere else it does not work... odd

im ok with that, though usually I wouldnt place such folders on my desktop...

All Photoshop Plugins I successfully imported from a desktop folder are grayed out in Affinity Photo 1.6.6 (on macPro 10.13.1). I get to the point where a list of plugins is shown in Preferences | Detected Plugins. They are all "unknown" and I checked the "Allow unknown ..." Box. Quit and restarted Photo. Everything seems fine so far. I open a simple jpg file (RGB, 2MP). Then select Filters | Plugins and hover over each of the six categories, e.g., Texture. In all categories, all filters are grayed out. What do I do to "enable" them?