Samoreen

AP 1.6 : workspace destroyed after update

Hi,

Updating to AP 1.6 destroyed my workspace. Now I have to rebuild it from scratch. Thanks a lot.

Things would be easier if we had a way to save and reload our workspaces. This is an old request but it is still ignored. All similar programs have a way to save multiple workspaces. Why not in AP ? The answers given until now to this request have been ridiculous, to say the least. It's a pity because AP is a very powerful program. Why not implement this so usual feature that is so easy to program ? I can't understand this.

--Patrick

So, it's a bug. The loss of the existing workspace could have been repaired if the request about saving workspaces had been fulfilled. I'm really wondering why this is so hard to implement after so many user requests and so many time. This is beyond me...

--Patrick

14 minutes ago, Samoreen said:

So, it's a bug. The loss of the existing workspace could have been repaired if the request about saving workspaces had been fulfilled. I'm really wondering why this is so hard to implement after so many user requests and so many time. This is beyond me...

We only have limited resources, and we have to prioritise everything that is done. We prioritised performance and stability ahead of the ability to save workspaces for the 1.6 update.

Ahem! Please. I have already programmed this kind of feature. This can be coded within a few hours at most. Now you'll have to spend time anyway in order to find the installation bug that is destroying the existing workspace. I guess this will re-appear with the next update...

- Enumerate all opened windows
- Collect dimensions and locations
- Prompt for a workspace name
- Store everything to the registry, an INI file or whatever
- That's it.

This is certainly not risky programming.

--Patrick

As the lead programmer on the Windows team, I'm quite aware of how to implement this feature, but my point still stands, I decided to improve the performance and fix bugs ahead of this feature request.

Workspaces are already written to a file in AppData (if you wanted to back them up, you could just copy them from there), writing to the registry or INI files is quite a legacy approach, and not recommended these days.

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

As the lead programmer on the Windows team, I'm quite aware of how to implement this feature, but my point still stands, I decided to improve the performance and fix bugs ahead of this feature request.

Workspaces are already written to a file in AppData (if you wanted to back them up, you could just copy them from there), writing to the registry or INI files is quite a legacy approach, and not recommended these days.

I had the same problem yesterday in AP and AD. Can you tell us, which file I had to copy in the AppData? I will save it as a backup for next versions then. :)

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'm quite aware of how to implement this feature

I know that INI files are now things of the past. I just wanted to point out that coding this feature is extremely easy and doesn't require any sophisticated design. Now, if you don't want to implement it, the installer should at least automatically make a backup of that (unspecified) file in AppData and notify the user where that file has been stored.

--Patrick

The panels got reset but other things remained the same: e. g. I hide the Toolbar and rearrange the Tools, those two kept the same. Also, my shortcuts are the same.

Best regards!

You'll never know what you can do until you get it up as high as you can go!   

AMD FX 8350 :: Radeon HD 7870 :: Windows 10 ::  http://mithferion.deviantart.com/

Oxygen Icons :: Free Quality Fonts :: Public Domain Pictures :: iOS 11 Design Resources :: iOS App Icon Template :: Hot to do High Quality Art :: Mesh Warp / Distort Tool Considerations

OK. Since it seems that we'll not get more information about this issue, I'd like to suggest to those really needing this feature a (quick and dirty) way to manually save and activate your different workspaces. Let's assume that you want to work with 3 different workspaces.

1. Your current workspace is stored in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo.

2. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces and make 3 copies of the Photo folder. Name them say Photo1, Photo2 and Photo3. The contents of these 4 folders now describe the same workspace layout.

3. Now move the Photo folder to a safe place (for backup) and rename Photo1 to Photo. Re-launch Affinity. Since Photo1 was a copy of Photo, your workspace is unchanged. Make the changes you want for your first workspace (if any - since it was your current workspace, you may decide not to change anything in this layout) and quit AP. Your first workspace is saved in Photo. Rename Photo to Photo1.

4. Repeat step #3 for Photo2 and Photo3.

5. You no longer have any Photo folder in Workspaces. Make a copy of the Photox workspace that you want to activate (say Photo2) and rename it to Photo. You now have 4 folders : Photo, Photo1, Photo2 and Photo3. Re-launch AP. The Photo2 workspace is used.

From now on, the workspace that will be applied upon AP startup is the one named Photo. Of course, renaming these files and re-launching AP each time you want to load another workspace is awkward. But you could have a shortcut (actually 3 shortcuts) on your desktop launching a .bat or .cmd file that does the necessary copy job. If you want to activate say, the third workspace, the .bat file just has to run the following commands :

c:
cd Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces
xcopy Photo3 Photo /E /I /Y

then re-launch AP.

So we can see that indeed, the workspace saving mechanism exists but we have no user interface element allowing to trigger it. Strange. We just need a menu presenting the various Photox folders, allowing to load the selected one or to save the current one under the name specified by the user.

--Patrick

On 11/2/2017 at 10:48 PM, Mark Ingram said:

We only have limited resources, and we have to prioritize everything that is done. We prioritized performance and stability ahead of the ability to save workspaces for the 1.6 update.

With all due respect, I guess that you will always have something to do that has higher priority than the implementation of the workspace feature (although it has been requested since a long time). I name this the "Adobe syndrome" (they have exactly the same reasoning). The net result is that problems listed at the bottom of the priority list are never fixed as long as the maintenance team works with a top down approach, At least one developer from the team should work bottom up to give such problems a chance to be fixed OR the time the problem has been listed should be taken into account to increase the priority level.

Anyway, all serious applications using multiple tool windows that I'm aware of implement a workspace saving mechanism. It's easy to program and wouldn't take much time. See above. Now that Affinity Photo has become a credible alternative to Photoshop CC for photographers, persisting in not implementing this feature would appear rather strange.

--Patrick

The 1.7.1update has again broken my workspace and this time, restoring a backup of the C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Workspaces\Photo folder didn't help. Mainly because the customized dimensions of the tool palettes don't seem to be interpreted the same way in this version. Also, the state of the palettes was not correctly restored. Rebuilding again... This is slowly becoming rather annoying.

NB : on my system, the tool palettes are displayed on the secondary monitor which doesn't have the same resolution as the main display.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:33 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Workspaces are already written to a file in AppData (if you wanted to back them up, you could just copy them from there)

You said it. The routine saving the workspace to a file is already written. What is missing is merely a naming mechanism and a menu allowing to save different workspaces to different files. Since there is obviously something to fix in that mechanism, you can take this opportunity to also add the necessary workspace management code which can be written in minutes. Or copy it from the older Photoplus.

--Patrick

Updating to 1.7.1 my workspace became unusable!

Customized dimensions of the tool palettes and the state of the palettes was not correctly restored every time I open AP

This is not a feature request, but a very serious bug!

Priorities and resources. Very interesting issue. I will shut up for once. :)

• Customers never could save workspaces and shortcuts in a usual friendly way. As a backup or for use in an additional installation.
  • People lost their shortcuts and workspaces due to lack of testing of this scenario. 

Who is to blame here? Easy answer. And... a customer oriented prioritizing could prevent one of both of these from happening with a minimal effort.

Below: posts from apologists. :D

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

As long as workspace saving is on the "to-do" list I'm happy, preferably shareable amongst installations (I'm swapping between a desktop and a laptop). Cheers