waveman777

Liquify Persona - completely unusable on a 2009 MacBook Pro

Hi, After giving Affinity Designer a try, and still struggling with it due to bugs, missing features and unresolved problems, I decided to give Affinity Photo a try, used it for 5 minutes, and gave up. A opened a relatively small picture, very tiny one, and jumped straight to Liquify Persona. No matter which option I used, it works extremely slow, so slow that it's simply unusable. I had to wait sometimes 10 seconds to see the results of a mouse move, which is unacceptable. I played with all options there, no luck, no way someone can work this way. 

So, I opened the same file in the latest Photoshop CC 2018 and went straight to Liquify Tool - and guess what! Everything works fast, smoothly and beautifully! All moves are reflected instantly. 

Same goes for AD - keep going back to Illustrator.

So, in short, I bought both Affinity software since it first appeared on AppStore, and still not using it - only AD, occasionally, for symbols... I really wanted this to replace Adobe software on my computer and I think I had my hopes too high. Don't want to complain, but when I paid for it, the development was really fast, now I feel that the most important things are still unresolved.

6 hours ago, talus said:

My macbook is 2015 and it is still SUPER SLOW!

Almost throw laptop to the wall out of frustration. 

Exactly. But it's advertised as software that has "all the power and performance you will ever need". Well, it seems that I need at least Mac Pro with 16 cores to make it work properly.

In this case I'm really impressed with Adobe Photoshop. even though it's twice as big, it opens faster, and Liquify work perfectly without a hassle in real time. I don't know what's Adobe secret to it, but it all works really fast on a mid 2009 dual core Macbook Pro, having GeForce 9400M with only 256Mb memory on board. It's impressive. So, again, I bought Affinity Photo, and have to stick with Adobe for another year. because it simply works. Affinity Photo is at least 50 times slower. Very poor user experience. 

Hi guys,

Can you go to Preferences > Performance > Display and make sure you aren't using Software. Change it to OpenGL if you are and see if it is any better (make sure you restart). Thanks.

12 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hi guys,

Can you go to Preferences > Performance > Display and make sure you aren't using Software. Change it to OpenGL if you are and see if it is any better (make sure you restart). Thanks.

HI Chris, unfortunately this is not the case. It's always been OpenGL in my case, but when I changed it to "software", I didn't notice any difference, the same goes for OpenGL Basic. All extremely slow, especially when compared to latest Photoshop which is blazing fast. Any ideas why is it like that if both software supposedly use hardware acceleration?

I'm not sure in all honesty... Something has clearly changed between versions so I'll have to find out what. I genuinely thought it would be 'Software' causing the issue as I get delays of 10 seconds or so with brush strokes when set to that.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure in all honesty... Something has clearly changed between versions so I'll have to find out what. I genuinely thought it would be 'Software' causing the issue as I get delays of 10 seconds or so with brush strokes when set to that.

But this is not the case - the problem is not related to Affinity Photo running slow on "Software" mode - it is all set to OpenGL. The problem is that it's extremely slow despite using OpenGL, that means, it's not well developed.

For balance this is not always the case, I have a mid 2009 MacBookPro5,3 8gb it has no lag when using Liquify in latest release AP 1.66 set to use OpenGL.  Tested on a 3mb jpg, 118mb tiff and a 460mb.afphoto file using all the liquify brushes & tested with 9400M & 9600M cards, both options are usable on all settings.

Hey guys, could you also try the following:

1. In the Liquify Persona, go to the Mesh Panel and uncheck 'Show Mesh' 
  2. If the above makes no difference, can you restart the app with the ctrl key held down until you see a dialog box and click 'Clear'

I'm working with someone from development on this so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.

YOu don't need to. Look here

It might as well be memory management within the software it. 

I literally CANNOT open 10 files at once because it will stall, i.e. slower than a snail crawling across my backyard. 10 files are a most 300MB of memory whereas my laptop is sporting 16GB fo RAM on top of SSD, costed 2000$. What I'm experience is even with near-top-notch computer cannot even run Affinity??

Another hint for you and your QA department.

Once things are settled, finally, I can start using Affinity to edit a pathetic number of 10 photos, I try to enter Developer mode. It will take a full blown 30 seconds to load into Developer mode. 

Have you guys done a thorough check before releasing?