ibo

broken uninstaller/updater

Edition: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Version: 1709
OS Build: 16299.19
Affected software: Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Uninstalling or updating the Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer is currently broken.

Every time you try to upgrade, you get a message that you don't have enough privileges, even though you have been asked for Admin privileges by the Updater process.

The Uninstaller exhibits similar problems, too, as you can't run the Installer after using the Uninstaller, unless you log out or reboot.

My guess on this is that:

• The Updater process marks the C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Photo and C:\Program Files\Affinity\Affinity Designer for deletion, but does not properly delete them until you log out or reboot.
  • This makes it impossible to update your apps, because the Updater will try to use the above locations, but they are in "limbo" - not properly deleted until you reboot/logout, so no process, not even with Admin privileges can write there and the Updater fails with the "Not enough privileges" error when it tries to use these locations to store the new versions. The only option at this stage is to cancel the update (this will leave you with the app uninstalled).

I assume the above because:

• navigating to the C:\Program Files\Affinity\ with the File Explorer, I was able to see both the Affinity Photo and the Affinity Designer folders, but I could not open them (I've got the same "not enough privileges" error)
  • after logout/reboot, the above dirs are gone, so running the installer works correctly at this point

Unfortunately, having to uninstall, log out, log in, run the full installer and provide the serials is a very unfriendly upgrade experience.

Please fix you installer app or change it with something that works.

I wrote a post about it. But they cannot reproduce this error.

The problem is that this folder for OS does not exists and it is locked despite it is still visible.

After machine restart this folder will not appear any more and then you will be able to install it without any problem.

Probably developers should examine the installation script ( some erase actions when installing application ).

Same issue. 1.6 install fails with insufficient privileges error. I am the only user and am the one and only administrator.

Win 7 SP

Now old Affinity Photo is destroyed and won't run. 

Will cold reboot and reattempt upgrade installation.

Reproducible error on multiple versions of Windows. Not version specific. Needs fixing.

This error appears only with Affinity Designer and Photo installer.

Changing owner to ALL  or run it as an Administrator does not help.

It will be able to install after machine restart ( As I said before Affinity installer erases folder and then tries to install in that folder new version but OS took its as unavailable (/but still visible/) )

I ask you again: FIX YOUR INSTALLATION SCRIPT. Maybe script does something wrong with folder erasing using not proper function for that - I do not know. Check script line by line for potential problems if you cannot reproduce it on your machines. Only your software has this installation problem.

Sorry about my angry tone of expression but you did nothing with that since few last updates. The first version of Affinity installer for Windows and the first update worked fine - as I remember.

Do it something please. It looks completely unprofessional ( cannot reproduce = no  problem ).

Schowek-1.jpg

There is no install script that we write, we use WiX to generate an installer, and it's just a list of files to copy. There isn't anything special to our installer.

The only thing I can think is that Windows can't delete a file (or parent directory) if the file is locked (in use). Perhaps you had an instance of Affinity Photo or Affinity Designer running during installation.

I install a new version of Designer / Photo nearly every day, and I've never seen this issue, however I'll ask the installation engineer to take a look at this post and see if he's got any insight.

Do you have any anti-virus / anti-malware installed?

I do not have running version of app when doing upgrade.
I use ESET Smart Security, but other apps installers have not problem with that.

Your installer is an exception. :(

I have only the Windows 10 antivirus. For me, the Affinity's installer is the only one I've encountered so far that shows this misbehavior. Mark, have you tried to get help from the WiX developers?

I confirm, the same happens here (already with the previous versions).

Reboot, relaunch installer, re-enter forgotten product key... Makes me reticent to upgrade..

PS. Little request while we're on the installer subject: it is impossible to paste the whole product key in one go. Other installers manage to overflow between consecutive product key fields..

Thanks for looking into this!

According to the installation engineer, this is a known issue with MSI based installers (i.e. a Windows bug). The only solution is to download an install fixer from Microsoft, run that, and then your installation will work as expected.

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct program, but I think it's this (I can't check with him as he's left for the day) - https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Any installer which uses MSI may experience the same problem. Unfortunately we won't be moving to another installer tech, as MSI is required for corporate / educational installations (and is the recommended way of creating installers on Windows).

That utility might do the trick...

I've used it to uninstall the current Designer. After uninstalling the Designer with it, the installation dir was empty and I could "cd" into it (before I was getting the "not enough privileges" error when I was trying to access the dir and the dir was gone after a reboot or login/logout).

I've then installed the Designer again and entered my key. Run again the installer, selected the "Repair" option and that worked without an issue. Until the next version of the Designer is out, this is all I can test, I'm afraid.

I'll do the same for the Photo and see what happens when its next version is out.

The problem was never installing: it was upgrading. I was always able to install after logout & login, or reboot. But using a full uninstall, logout, login, provide email and keys is not a friendly thing :-)

BTW, there was no error reported by the tool. I've attached the report for uninstalling Photo. The one for Designer was similar.

uninstall affinity photo report.png

I was able to update both Photo and Designer an two PC's from 1.6.0. to 1.6.1. So the problem looks to have been solved for me.

On 26/11/2017 at 2:36 PM, ibo said:

I was able to update both Photo and Designer an two PC's from 1.6.0. to 1.6.1. So the problem looks to have been solved for me.

I can confirm (for Photo until now). Well done, thanks!