You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo and Designer 1.6 have launched!

TonyB

Hi

I had the occasion to work on some photos yesterday night with the 1.6.6 version of AP on Mac and I had several crashes. I cannot give a specific manipulation to reproduce it, it wasn't complicated retouching, just few layers, few adjustments. It always happened when operating a change on the layer panel though, changing a visibility, adding a layer,...

I transfered all the crash reports to Apple.

I noticed it just because version 1.5 was very stable for me.

Tx

OS X 10.12 - AP 1.6.6 - AD 1.6

Hi, thanks for the new version.

Are there plans to provide an automatic upgrade installer at some point? It's simple enough to download and install, but it would be convenient if the process was a 1 click update.

Windows 10

I am happy to see that there is a new version 1.6.1 for download for both Designer and Photo (Windows). Where do I find the release notes?

Lenovo laptop with Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home. Former user of most Serif software from PagePlus 3.0 through PagePlus X9, now enjoying Affinity Designer, Photo, and Publisher.

2 hours ago, NilsFinken said:

I am happy to see that there is a new version 1.6.1 for download for both Designer and Photo (Windows). Where do I find the release notes?

I logged on here looking for the exact same thing since I am now updating to 1.6.1 of Designer :)

On 14/11/2017 at 3:01 AM, rainwilds said:

It's very very slow on my i7 desktop. Won't bother with the laptop. The software is so cool, but the performance negates that. I've had to purchase Photoshop recently because I can't be waiting for processors to finish. I think that once the software is more optimised then this truly will be a Photoshop killer. For now though I find myself using primirily Photoshop but will continue to learn/use Affinity Photo becuase I do see it as next-gen software.

I think its a bug. I had the same issues on my 2016 MBP, but suddenly everything was smooth again (dont remember why or when). Now it easily outperforms both Sketch and Photoshop.

7 hours ago, NilsFinken said:

I'll second that. Thanks to all at Serif. Hopefully this irons out all the crashes when working between both Photo & Designer.

6 hours ago, TangoHotel said:

Where did the side bar go that had the color wheel, layers and layer effects, zoom etc? I can't seem to open any of those or get the side bar back, after the update!?

Its in Menubar, View > Studio > and then all the studio options appear. AFAIK there isn't any saved studio layouts, so fiddle around with it and recreate the studio you want to use

Affinity Designer is my spirit animal 

16 minutes ago, Paul Eastwood said:

Have just downloaded Affinity Photo 1.6.1.93 and now cannot open it. It just crashes every time I Try to Open the programme. Message as below:-

What should I do?

Affinity crash.doc

Press the Ctrl key on your keyboard, keep it held down while you launch the program, and continue to hold it down until the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog appears. Press the ‘Clear’ button to clear the selected items; if that doesn’t do the trick, try again but press ‘Select All’ before you press ‘Clear’.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies if this has been covered before. How multi-threaded is Photo? Just trying to figure out if the new iMac Pro is worth it. Standard iMac is 4 core i7. iMac Pro is 8-18 core Xeon. Will it make a noticeable difference?

Kind regards,

Jason Berge.

Edited by photo570
correcting auto correct

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 8:43 AM, TonyB said:

What's New in Affinity Photo 1.6

• New light user interface option
  • New stroke stabiliser for all pencil and brush tools
  • New "Edit In" integration with Apple Photos 
  • Metal 2 accelerated view optimised for macOS High Sierra
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and
  • Improved performance with large documents
  • New font chooser dropdown with recents, used fonts and favourites
  • New Glyph browser
  • Align to key items 
  • Text frame vertical alignment options
  •  Fit frame to text
  • Custom brush wet edges
  • Outlier stacking mode
  • Improved Photoshop Plugin support
  • Improved Live Filters performance
  • Many PDF export improvements including vector export of multi-stop gradients
  • Numerous bug fixes and other improvements

For more information about the Affinity Photo launch and how to buy go here

What's New in Affinity Designer 1.6

• New Glyph browser
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance 
  • Align to key items 
  • Fit frame to text 
  • Added 'Unlock All' and 'Show All' commands

For more information about the Affinity Designer launch and how to buy go here

On 11/2/2017 at 8:43 AM, TonyB said:

What's New in Affinity Photo 1.6

• New "Edit In" integration with Apple Photos 
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance and
  • New Glyph browser
  • Align to key items 
  •  Fit frame to text
  • Custom brush wet edges
  • Outlier stacking mode
  • Improved Photoshop Plugin support
  • Improved Live Filters performance

For more information about the Affinity Photo launch and how to buy go here

What's New in Affinity Designer 1.6

• New Glyph browser
  • Improved view pan/zoom performance 
  • Align to key items 
  • Fit frame to text 
  • Added 'Unlock All' and 'Show All' commands

For more information about the Affinity Designer launch and how to buy go here

One item that I have been looking for from the beginning is the equivalent of a 'knife' tool in Adobe Illustrator.  The ability to trim a complex vector form along a line is very important for my design work and something that requires hours of work to do without a 'knife' tool. Does version 1.6 have this tool, or its equivalent?

1 hour ago, MKM Pottery Tools said:

One item that I have been looking for from the beginning is the equivalent of a 'knife' tool in Adobe Illustrator.  The ability to trim a complex vector form along a line is very important for my design work and something that requires hours of work to do without a 'knife' tool. Does version 1.6 have this tool, or its equivalent?

It's not in the current version. However, that feature is planned to be delivered during the 1.X cycle of the product. However, there is no ETA for it arrive.

Best regards!

• 2 weeks later...

Big bugs with Affinity Designer, not the first time, a beta version and 1.6 fixed it for a time, but I think since I am on High Sierra it appears again.

When you zoom in or work on a second monitor, a bigger one, like every professional, there is huge glitch I don't see what I draw, for example rectangles I'll put a screenshot so you can see.

REALLY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING

Capture d’écran 2018-02-21 à 16.02.14.png

2 minutes ago, G.M.1986 said:

Big bugs with Affinity Designer, not the first time, a beta version and 1.6 fixed it for a time, but I think since I am on High Sierra it appears again.

When you zoom in or work on a second monitor, a bigger one, like every professional, there is huge glitch I don't see what I draw, for example rectangles I'll put a screenshot so you can see.

REALLY ANNOYING AND FRUSTRATING

Objects off the canvas you mean? Pressing \ toggles this on and off. 

I am not sure what you are trying to say, me it is simple, I draw a few rectangles. If I am working on a second monitor or zooming in those rectangles tend to disappear or glitch. Can't work like that, I seriously think going back to adobe because they pissed me off with their model, but it works and I need to put food on the table.

Here's again with the 1.6.1 beta. tried it it seems to correct the glitch when zooming in my main monitor.

First screen shot on my main macbook pro monitor, second screenshot on my second monitor .... everything disappear and glitch what the hell?

Capture d’écran 2018-02-21 à 16.17.48.png

Capture d’écran 2018-02-21 à 16.18.27.png