You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(1.6.6 - GM) - Refine Edges issues

Hi,

There's still an issue with the refined edges function.

When saving the output of the refined mask to New Layer with Mask, it adds a blur to it. When I output to only a mask, the output is finally the same as the preview image. Please see the attached screenshot.

Also, when using the matte brush, the selection is really soft even though I've set the Smooth and Feather options to 0. Please take a look at the attached video.

slice1.jpg

refine-mask.mov

Is there an ETA for fixing the issue with refine edges or at least a workaround? The issue has been around for over a year.  Masking is pretty important for composite image making and it's a major pain point for areas such as hair and really fine materials.

It's pretty disappointing since the video tutorials that have been put out don't show this behaviour at all.

Thanks @MEB.

13 minutes ago, evtonic3 said:

What are those weird blobs of white painted on artifacts behind the hair of where your trying to use the refine brush?  I mean it doesn't look like the image you posted that reads original. 

Those weird blobs appeared when I adjusted the border setting.

I re-did the mask again today and it looks like there's a problem when selecting black, white and transparent matte options, as well as setting the output to new layer with mask. If you set the output to new layer with mask and view the new layer without the mask, you will see those white blobs along with the colour of the nearest neighbouring pixels.

I found a workaround for it today by only using overlay and black&white for matte and selecting the output to mask only (and crossing my fingers when I pressed OK).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.