Sign in to follow this  
thorium666

Worst (laggy) performance on new Core i9 7900X

Dear All, 

since i have updated the system the performance of Affinity Photo is really bad. Bad is a bad adjective, it is something below. Using filters, simple functions (e.g. clarity in development), all has several seconds of delay, maybe like working with NT 4.0 on a system with 1MB of RAM. 

I think, that the software is not yet optimised for Skylake-X and the Mesh infrastructure, so for the moment is is just too painfull to use it. 

System:

Core i9 7900X, @4,5GHz (10 Cores/20 Threads)

64GB RAM

Titan X(Pascal) Graphics

NVMe SSDs type Samsung 960pro 

The old 6 Core system had a much smoother performance. Is there any chance there will be a version optimised to new CPUs (soon) and also supporting a Camera RAW from a camare which us close to 1/2 year alredy on the marked but nothing (really nothing) happens from Affinity to get its RAW supported (Panasonic GH5).

keep Apple away...

Not yet, will do and will report

thanks

------

Update

Performance is much better. Using standard operations in development there is no huge delay anymore. The CPU usage is going up to 50% (what is looking for me that is it scaling well with physical cores but not with available virtual threads). Its is well usable. About the GH5 RAW i'm still not sure if implemented. Comparing to G70/81 RAW you still need to assault the saturation slider like a riot monkey. 

Thanks, when can we expect 1.6X released ? 

ps.

at least in the short test and using only simple functions - i don't see there any usage of AVX/FMA. This could significantly improve the performance. 

keep Apple away...

thx @rainwilds

with some unrealistric movement of the brightness slider in RAW development you get close to 100% so i would say is scaling quite wel.

Capture.JPG

keep Apple away...

I compared it with Luminar Beta, tried to manipulate in the similar way and on the same RAW file. The scaling is better with Affinity but there is a significat difference. The user intrerface seems to be "detached" from the background calculations. You can use the sliders in Luminar and even it is working in the background with some waiting time (Luminar is not really fast) it has never impact on the performance of the user interface like Affinity. The elements of the gui are always usable without any kind of latency/delay (what is not saying that i like the Luminar gui more).

Capture.JPG

keep Apple away...

Is there any chance to get an answer when the official 1.6 will be released and if Panasonic GH5 RAW will be reworked/included ?

keep Apple away...