You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

too many nodes after closing and joining two curves

I am trying to create an eye shape. I did this by closing and joining two quarter circle curves:eye2.png

But now the right side of the shape still consists of two nodes on top of each other (see below, I dragged on of them away so you can see both of them ).

eye1.png

How can I join those two nodes, so that my eye shape consits only of two nodes and not three? If I just delete that node, the lower curve is not symmetric anymore and I can't figure out to get the symmetry back.

If I can't join them, what is a better way to create an eye shape?

@DWright

Your method works fine for two-node lines curved with the Node tool as you did at the 9 second mark. However, it does not work for two-node curves derived from other shapes. For example, consider the two red curves in the attached curves example.afdesign file. The top red curve was created from a pie shape as shown in the 4 step procedure at the bottom; & then duplicated, inverted, & snapped into position just as you did in the video:

59f9a6b922178_curvesexample.png.0787a82f5db45081782deccabe693dd2.png  

Boolean adding the red curves results in a single "(Curves)" object consisting of two closed curves:

(Curves).png.6db4d5e7b0dcd52749d8c0fca2af63d8.png

I get similar results for two-node curves derived from other shapes -- it isn't a unique behavior for Pie shapes.

The behavior is even weirder when trying to do as the OP did & using the join & close method. Among other things, joining but not closing the curves & then moving an end curve off of the coincident one & back onto it deforms the curve because the extended handle on the moved node snaps back to a sharp point:

joined.png.846f3d7f31ac7e1f43f5c7c2dee4cd00.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I wonder if the problem lies with the direction of the two arcs. Try flipping one about the vertical so that they point in different directions, and then join.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

4 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I wonder if the problem lies with the direction of the two arcs. Try flipping one about the vertical so that they point in different directions, and then join.

I have tried that, & also experimenting with different stroke widths & filled & unfilled starting shapes. It makes no difference.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 hours ago, schattenrauschen said:

If I can't join them, what is a better way to create an eye shape?

create a ellipse convert to curves, convert left and right node to sharp.

eye.png.579f8ebfc190069e013b3fc06f33fb38.png

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

8 minutes ago, dutchshader said:

create a ellipse convert to curves, convert left and right node to sharp.

I think the idea was to end up with an eye shape that used only two nodes, so your method won't quite do that because it produces a four node curve.

Affinity Photo