You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to get the 'anchors' alined??

I'm wondering, why is it... that if for example I type a text, the anchors - on each corner - are so misalined?
I mean, wouldn't it be much more handy if the anchors of each corner would be perfectly alined to the text?

So that it's much easier to align this text with other objects?

Anyway, since these anchors apparently need to be aligned for every single object (text, whatsoever)... it's a lot of work, so what's the easiest way to do it?

Would it be to use the vector crop tool and just manually realign the anchors... or is there an easier way to achieve this?

'One Aim'

What kind of text are you using? Artistic text or frame text? 

If frame text, the frame can easily be aligned to other objects. It can start out as a vector shape that is already aligned with an object such as an image.. The text is not aligned to objects. The frame is. The way the text fills the frame can then be modified as desired by defining text point size, line spacing etc etc.

Artistic text, so called, has no pre-defined bounding box. It is whatever the user types in whatever size, font, paragraph. But I'm supposing that is not what you were talking about, since the bounds of artistic text change the shape of the text when they are re-s9zed. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I remember in an earlier version that the handles on text were offset from the text.

(I may be thinking of this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/43430-text-bounding-box-alternative )

But I am not seeing that in either 1.5 or 1.6 now.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing?

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

There are several different alignment references that can be used for text, among them baseline, x, descender, ascender, & cap heights. Moreover, a single paragraph or even line of text can include mixed fonts & mixed font sizes, plus different vertical scalings on a character by character basis. All that is in addition to the alignment references provided by the bounding box around frame or artistic text, & for other non-text objects.

So basically, there is much more to it than just one or a few 'anchors' to consider.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, Aammppaa said:

I remember in an earlier version that the handles on text were offset from the text.

(I may be thinking of this thread: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/43430-text-bounding-box-alternative )

But I am not seeing that in either 1.5 or 1.6 now.

Try some Artistic Text with Aammppaa (ascenders and descenders), aammppaa (descenders only) and aammaa (no ascenders or descenders). You should find that the extra height is there all the time in 1.5, but only when needed in 1.6.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/30/2017 at 10:48 PM, Aammppaa said:

ttps://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/43430-text-bounding-box-alternative

That's exactly what I meant!
I want to find out how to easily (for a rookie such as myself) get those 'bounding box alternatives' close around the Text or whatever object I create (being it a Rectangle, Text, Circle, etc, etc).
I find it kinda weird that this 'bounding box alternative' isn't active by default... it only makes life easier in my opinion, what's the advantage of having a bounding box that's completely off anyway (like it currently is)?

'One Aim'

• Staff

Hi Prodigy,

This only happens with text objects in the current retail version (1.5). It was improved in version 1.6: artistic text objects will be closely enclosed by their bounding boxes (no more empty space around).

For all other shapes the bounding box should tightly enclose them without any empty space.

1 minute ago, MEB said:

Quite soon, if everything goes well...

Great, I can't wait!!
---
- Getting back to the current status for now;
I find it kinda weird that this 'bounding box alternative' isn't active by default... it only makes life easier in my opinion, what's the advantage of having a bounding box that's completely off anyway (like it currently is)?
It's not only Affinity Designer with this issue, but Adobe Illustrator also has this off-the-pace bounding box, what makes a developer choose for this, what's the advantage?

'One Aim'

54 minutes ago, Prodigy said:

If the text is tightly enclosed by the text, it may change when you edit the text to add or remove characters that have ascenders or descenders. So if you start with the word "add" it will only need enough height for the double "d", but if you replace "add" with "change" it will need extra height for the tail of the "g"; if you then replace the word "change" with "remove" the box will become less tall because there is nothing above or below the x-height. This can make it difficult to align text objects correctly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)