You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What resolution shall I create my logo??

Guys,

I could use your advise...

On my website I use a company logo of 200x200 pixels.
But, sometimes I also use a 750x50 version of it.

In the near future (late 2018) I need to have my logo on a flag (I'm thinking about 10.000x10.000 pixels or even bigger)

- Now I'm confused... what resolution do you recommend me to make my initial design?
Would it be wiser to just make it 10.000x10.000 and shrink it when needed, or do it the other way around... going for 750x750 for example and just enlarge when needed?
Would it have any effect on the final quality?

'One Aim'

3 minutes ago, Prodigy said:

Guys,

I could use your advise...

On my website I use a company logo of 200x200 pixels.
But, sometimes I also use a 750x50 version of it.

In the near future (late 2018) I need to have my logo on a flag (I'm thinking about 10.000x10.000 pixels or even bigger)

- Now I'm confused... what resolution do you recommend me to make my initial design?
Would it be wiser to just make it 10.000x10.000 and shrink it when needed, or do it the other way around... going for 750x750 for example and just enlarge when needed?
Would it have any effect on the final quality?

Never enlarge !

But as Merde says, "use vectors".

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

2 hours ago, Prodigy said:

If I create a new 'web' file and make it xxx pixels, wouldn't it be in vectors by default?

No. If you export to jpeg, gif, or png (the most common formats for web page graphics), everything that is a vector object in your Affinity document will be converted to a raster (bitmap) pixel image.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
2 hours ago, Prodigy said:

If I create a new 'web' file and make it xxx pixels, wouldn't it be in vectors by default?

Hi Prodigy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you use only vector tools to draw your logo then yes, the type of document doesn't have any influence on this - everything will be scalable. What may affect it is using features that force the rasterisation of vectors like Layer Effects, non-supported Blend modes, Adjustments etc. In these cases even if you export to a format that support vector data (PDF, SVG etc), these objects will be rasterised on export.

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

No. If you export to jpeg, gif, or png (the most common formats for web page graphics), everything that is a vector object in your Affinity document will be converted to a raster (bitmap) pixel image.

From what I understand .pdf/.eps are the only formats that support vectors, right?
But... if I would use such file for my web logo, it wouldn't be supported by the browser I guess?

- So basically I can only use .pdf/.eps for secondary (physical) parties, such as my merchandise printer or business card printer?
(no online presentation)

'One Aim'

As @MEB mentioned, SVG is a possible alternative to PDF if you’re looking for a format that supports vector data. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics, and the format is supported by most modern browsers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

7 hours ago, Alfred said:

As @MEB mentioned, SVG is a possible alternative to PDF if you’re looking for a format that supports vector data. SVG stands for Scalable Vector Graphics, and the format is supported by most modern browsers.

So that would mean I could make my website logo look much better than the current .png file.
I could just use a .svg file for my website logo, right?

'One Aim'

10 minutes ago, Prodigy said:

So that would mean I could make my website logo look much better than the current .png file.
I could just use a .svg file for my website logo, right?

Yes. It's been years since I put a web page together, so I'm unfamiliar w. the code for placing the .svg. But they were designed to be scalable on web pages. Rendered as pixels, but the size of the browser window, big or small, can define the size of the .svg image.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Don't you trust your theory? Just try it.

To re-iterate. The .svg standard, Scalable Vector Graphic, was designed with the intent to produce the finest possible output that any given device could produce. Primarily a computer monitor, displaying a web page, but also for paper items via a printer.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet