You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to browse RAW files (like in Bridge)

Forgive me if this is a rather silly, basic question. I'm brand new to Affinity after switching from Adobe products and I'm still finding my way around.

I have a huge batch of RAW files, and I'm trying to figure out how to browse through all of them nthe way you would with Bridge. I.e. browse, assign ratings etc and cull down the good ones before starting to edit the final selections from a shoot. 

Thanks in advance! :)

• Staff

Hi freyat,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo doesn't include DAM (digital assets management) functionality, so it's not possible to browse multiple files, assign ratings, categorise etc as in Bridge. It's mostly a RAW converter/developer and photo editing program more comparable to Adobe Camera RAW + Photoshop. We do intend to develop a DAM solution later but it will not come anytime soon. There's quite a few threads discussing DAM alternatives here in the forums but if you like Bridge you can keep using it.

Welcome, freyat...

I also struggled with the "how do i cull through RAW files?" question. Initially, I loaded them all into my Raw converter (DxO), but this was slow and, when the number increased, a bit cumbersome. Recently, I found a small program called FastRawViewer. It's available for Mac and for Windows, and it only costs about $20 (US). It is the simplest of simple programs, basically only for culling through large numbers of Raw files, but it does so with a great deal of speed. It also claims to allow culling by looking at the RAW file itself, and not by using the embedded JPG file. It's absolute bliss if you're using an "expose to the right" technique, since the histogram represents the available tones in the Raw and not just the jpg. But, even without using ETTR, it's quick and easy.

It's made my life easier, and any application that can do that for twenty dollars gets my thumbs up!

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

I have said this before: if you need to browse raw files and you want to do it fast, use Diffractor.

It is really fast and you can also use it to catalog your pictures.

Just my 2 c.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

14 hours ago, verysame said:

I have said this before: if you need to browse raw files and you want to do it fast, use Diffractor.

It is really fast and you can also use it to catalog your pictures.

Just my 2 c.

So long as you are using Windows

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630