You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection context menus different

I have both an iPad 9.7 (2017) and an IPad Pro 2 and have found that the contextual menus are different. Using Refine Mask Tool, there are no output options on the smaller iPad.

On both iPads the brush only refined at approx. 50% and didn't fully mask the adjacent area.

When I am using the Selection Brush and switch to Subtract, the selection keeps deselecting.

Most of my work is compositing and these glitches are very frustrating .

iiPad 9.7.png

iPad Pro.png

messy refine edge.png

• Staff

Hi LLM,

I've addressed the differences in the context toolbars here.

Regarding the mask issues: depending on the image the Refine Selection Tool may pick some elements or "debris" from adjacent areas. Change the Adjustment brush type to Foreground or Background then paint again over these parts to define/set what's part of your subject (foreground brush) and what's not (background brush) so the algorithm can improve its output. Matte is particular useful to recalculate areas of tricky detail or semi-transparency.

Not sure what you meant by "On both iPads the brush only refined at approx. 50%". Are you painting a single (although large) stroke covering the area you want to affect or trying to paint several strokes quickly? The algorithm needs some time to process the painted strokes so painting several strokes in quick succession may cause issues.

Regarding the selection brush issue: yes, seems sometimes it deselect the whole thing at once but it's not that common. Are you trying to subtract from inside the current selection? If the selection is relatively small and contains small colour variance it may become completely deselected when you tap inside it.

Thanks.  That answers all my questions.  I appreciate your quick response. I know I will do better work with Affinity Photo (so far I like what I've done) than I ever got  with Photoshop.

I'm l;ooking forward to when I'll have a full fun-derstanding of all the available possibilities.