You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bleed help

Hi 

I need to add a bleed to a document (3mm) I can do this by adding it in the document setup

The bleed margins do not show on the document. Can these be made visible?

I presume the document exports 6mm larger is this correct?

I have seen a few tutorials online. Some suggest making the document 6mm larger and then using guides 3mm from each edge within the document to show where the bleed would be. Which would you recommend?

Thanks

Paul M

Hi Paulm

If you set the bleed margins on the document make sure that you check "Include Bleed" when exporting! The bleed set in the document is not visible unfortunately...

What i do is to set my document size with the bleed included and then set the margins or a rectangle with the document size, because i like to see what i'm doing. In that case you need to make your own cut marks if that's the case.

• Staff
4 hours ago, Paulm said:

Hi Thankyou 

So If I where to add bleed using the document setup and click the include bleed checkbox ,the document will be exported 6mm larger? Does the exported document include cut marks?

Thanks

Paul m

Hi Paulm,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The document size itself can be larger if you include colour bars, registration marks etc, but the bleed area you have specified is added to the original document size and the crop marks positioned accordingly. Just make sure you enable them when exporting to PDF clicking the More button and ticking the respective boxes.

On 29. 10. 2017 at 5:32 PM, dcarvalho84 said:

Hi Paulm

If you set the bleed margins on the document make sure that you check "Include Bleed" when exporting! The bleed set in the document is not visible unfortunately...

What i do is to set my document size with the bleed included and then set the margins or a rectangle with the document size, because i like to see what i'm doing. In that case you need to make your own cut marks if that's the case.

Hi Paulm,

another workaround is to move the layers (background) behind the artboard (outside the artboard group) – then those layers would become visible in the bleed area / outside artboad. Before printing or exporting you need to move those objects back to artboard group. But You don't need to create Your crop marks etc.

However, none of this solutions is perfect…

Rasterizeds object will still be cropped on that artboard :-/ (exporting could be buggy so the rasterization is must for print)

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.