You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi all. I just bought Affinity Photo since my trial was expired but apparently there was no way of resetting it, planning to use the 14 days money back policy should I find the need to (but really hoping to stick :P). Anyway, since I use mainly a Windows PC, I bought the Windows version thinking I could somehow use the license key on Mac OS. Now I'm looking for a Mac download to use AP on my MacBook but apparently the only link to the Mac App Store, which obviously asks me for a new purchase. Is there no way to download a "licensable" version of AP to use the same key? Or I should buy it again for Mac?

• Staff

Lorthirk, 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

We license Affinity Software for iPad and Mac OS through their respective App stores, independently of Windows and the license is not transferable and needs to be bought for each independent OS (Windows/Mac/iOS) you wish to use it on.

I too hope you decide not to return it

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

Lorthirk, 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. 

We license Affinity Software for iPad and Mac OS through their respective App stores, independently of Windows and the license is not transferable and needs to be bought for each independent OS (Windows/Mac/iOS) you wish to use it on.

I too hope you decide not to return it

I see. Unfortunately this is a major drawback from me, not to mention the "ethical" side of the matter: I want to buy Affinity Photo and use it on any my device, not having to buy it twice. Unfortunately I see no other options than return it.

• Staff

This is not an ethical issue. We sell/license independently on each OS. Just because other companies have other business models does not make ours unethical, just different. 

We price our products accordingly.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

Having said that and to be clear to other readers, a Windows license covers any Windows PC you use it on, and a Mac or iPad licence covers any device that uses your Apple ID, and the Mac version supports family sharing, so we aren't talking about per machine licenses for home use, just per OS. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

1 hour ago, Lorthirk said:

Unfortunately this is a major drawback from me, not to mention the "ethical" side of the matter...

What exactly do you mean by this? When you go to Affinity's web page for Affinity Photo, for instance the https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/ page for the US, you should see this or something very similar to it:

59f5b39d1eb6f_Buyfor.png.2f207aab60ec0c95476b342a7fc30335.png

Did the two separate Buy buttons, one specifying "Mac" & the other "Windows" not suggest anything to you about what you were buying?

Even if it did not, if you are a Mac user you should be aware of the licensing terms for anything you can buy from the Mac App Store ("MAS"), including but not limited to Affinity Photo. The terms clearly specify that the application licenses you are buying are valid only for use on Apple branded computers. So if this is an ethical issue for you, it applies to tens of thousands of Mac apps, not just to Affinity's.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I perfectly understand the licensing model of the App Store and its implications. I apologizes if I sounded rude; didn't mean to offend anyone.

About the buttons: I could argue that yes, they advertise a single platform purchase, but I was so naive I thought I could download the Mac version through your portal anyway once my purchase was verified. Of course, it's my fault being an expectation I only built by myself according to the policy of other players in the market, and I take full responsibility for it.

Anyway, I understand that this is your business model, and I respect it. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit my needs.

I understand that if it does not fit your needs you are not willing to buy two versions, but I have to wonder what you would consider to be a better fit. There are not a lot of choices in this price range that offer comparable features, even if you compare the price of both versions to the alternatives.

Photoshop is the obvious alternative, but it is now available only on a subscription basis & only allows the app to run on two computers at a time without deactivating one of them to run it on another computer. PS is more mature & does offer more features, but it also requires a substantially higher performance computer to perform as well as Affinity Photo does on a less powerful one.

All I am saying is that there are a number of things to consider when looking for the best fit besides the purchase price of the app. Regardless, I hope you find what is the best fit for you.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7