You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Folks, 

I'm after some help again.... 

So I really admire two very very good automotive photographers... Amy Shore and Laurent Nivalle. Both have a similar(ish) style and this extends to their editing process. I have read numerous interviews with both of them and they both mainly use Photoshop (Sorry to swear!) rather than lightroom and I am very keen to try and re-caprture their respective styles but by using Affinity Photo. 

I have attached two files which are photos from both Laurent and Amy respectively. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction to try and obtain the same style? Obviously I don't want to be copying their styles out right as that is not what photography is all about but I am very curious as to how to achieve this.  

Thanks folks, hope you can help.

Regards

Mark

All credit for the attached two images go to Amy and Laurent.

Laurent Nivalle.jpg

Amy Shore.jpg

You should post in the question forum.

As for "style", I guess you refer to the post-processing. The short answer is, you may want to look up LUT color grading/film simulation tutorials.

That said, it is possible to achieve similar results using AP, but it's a longer procedure.

Edit: another common tool is VSCO, although that won't work with Affinity.

Examples: http://trix.ws/my8sC

http://trix.ws/aJfyO

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

These look to my eyes like desaturated and slightly matted color tones with some added film like grain, so all in all photo styles which you can probably accomplish with some analog film like filterings and settings. You can try to rework your images in AP by playing with desaturation, matte, grain and toning settings, or even easier, use some third party tools, like the still freely available Google (now DxO) tools here (for example Silver Efex Pro and/or Analog Efex Pro) as far as these work for you via the AP plugin interface. - There is also a bunch of other third party software from Topaz, Macphun, ON1, DxO, Franzis (Analog projects) ... etc. etc. which all deal and offer similar photo filtering tools and the like.

NikCollection-05-SilverEfexPro.png

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I tweaked the raw image in Develop Persona first, then pushed the contrast a little in Tone Mapping Persona.

I then added two LUTs from the free collection above and finally tweaked the contrast with a curve adjustment to get the muted look:

Clipboard01.jpg.0518f03fa981a50b2a0b4c4ed9aca022.jpg

Using LUTs can be convenient as you don't need any third-party tool.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti

I am just going through their website now. Certainly looks like what I am trying to achieve. 

I have never used 3rd party applications/software with AP though so I am slightly unsure as to how to apply it at the moment... Need to brush up on using plug-ins etc.

Many thanks for this though

Oh, using a LUT is super easy.

You just add a 3D Lut adjustment layer and from there, you click on LOAD LUT. That's it.

lut.jpg.2303363c358febbfd7e71a5533c7b47c.jpg

I wouldn't rely on the LUT only though. They are great to get close to the look you are after, but consider that your starting point may differ from the starting profile used in the samples you see on their website (some of them use a flat profile if I remember well).

Therefore, after (and/or before) you apply the LUT, you might need to do some more tweaking using curves or any other method you feel more comfortable with.

Also, don't underestimate Tone Mapping Persona: it is a powerful tool to get nice micro contrast, which can help to boost the film feeling.

I tend to do a Tone Mapping pass right after I start editing in Photo Persona, before all the other adjustments. By doing so, my starting point has already a good amount of contrast (at least, good to my taste) and I can focus on the other steps of the grading process.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
-

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by import.

Do you mean like a sort of library? If that's the case, no, you cannot.

The only way for now, to my knowledge at least, is by loading them.

Andrew
-

On 1.11.2017 at 9:37 AM, verysame said:

I'm not sure to understand what you mean by import.

Do you mean like a sort of library? If that's the case, no, you cannot.

The only way for now, to my knowledge at least, is by loading them.

Thanks, I'd like to have some kind of live preview. Now I have load one after the other to see which one fits best. Some kind of Import would have been cool or maybe a macro or... ☺

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, 

Thanks folks, very useful answer (As per usual in this forum). So time for the second silly question then.... lets say I have achieved the look I was after by using the LUT and then doing some other tweaks via the develop/Tone Mapping persona etc... Is there a way to save ALL of these adjustments including the application of the LUT so that it will be possible to apply it more quickly to future photos or for example I have 200 plus photos I want to have the same effect, how can I re-create it across all the images without starting the process from scratch?

Cheers

Mark

Well I'm no AP user, but I would generally say that this is what APs (re)applicable macros and presets usually and functionality/feature wise are meant for!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Take a look at the Affinity Photo Vimeo tutorial videos which deal about macros (aka macro recording and replay, edit etc.). Record some steps of those you performed by applying your LUTs, tone mappings and other tweaks etc. via a macro, or as smaller chunks of multiple macros. Then try to re(apply)/run your previously recorded and stored macro(s) on some test images, in order to see if it works the same way then. - See also this thread here about editing macros!

• 2 years later...