You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping Failure?

I've scanned as many posts on snapping as I possibly can, but still can't get this part of snapping to function.

With the pen tool selected, the pen will snap easily to object nodes and will highlight the node correctly - as well as any other snapping selections made.

However, if you pick up a previously created piece of geometry by a node (which really doesn't indicate that you've actually picked it up by that particular node anyway) and attempt to snap it to a node on another piece of geometry, there is no snapping function available ?

No node highlighting or cursor context changing is shown (a la Illustrator)?

I'm just about ready to change over to AD from Illustrator, this and an object offset tool are the only real things stopping me (well maybe text to outlines :-)

Cheers

Neil

To snap a node of one object to a node in a second object…

• The trick is to use the Node tool to do the move and snap.
  • Also ensure that 'Snap to Object Geometry' is turned on.
  • Select all the nodes of the shape you wish to move (you can use Ctrl + A to select all).
  • Now drag the node that you want to snap.

59f4edd2c2a62_AffinitySnapNodes.gif.40175fc2c2cc606ab515c180f717cc99.gif

Also note that there are snapping options in the Node & Pen Tools which affect those tools only, and are distinct from the more general snapping options.

See: https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_node.html

Hope this helps.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

• 2 weeks later...

AAMMPPAA - Sincere apologies for the delayed reply - vacation got in the way, yep, the node snapping definitely works, thanks a lot for that, it's solved a major problem here - however, perhaps just a wee bit unintuitive - more of an 'easter egg' than an implied function LOL :-)) There's no way I would have figured that one out :-) It does work 100% of the time though (unlike Illustrator :-)

Having to use the node tool - especially using command/ctrl A  to select all the nodes while using it doesn't jive with the function of moving objects around - it's the wrong tool - that really does need to be fixed?

Oval - Yes, 'offset path' is what was intended - apologies - in my case, essentially a small offset to create a toolpath. Illustrator has perhaps one of the best offset algorithms I've seen - far better than many of the ultra expensive CAD apps out there.

Thanks for the great help - I really still can't believe how good affinity is - for me, just a few minor tweaks and it's there - 'text to outlines' maybe is the only showstopper :-)

Cheers

Neil

10 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

“Text to Outlines” … in case you mean “Text to Paths,” simply select your text frame and choose Layer > Convert to Curves:)

He already wrote “Yes, 'offset path' is what was intended - apologies” (und da beißt sich die Unendlichkeits-Katze …), Alex.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2017 at 1:55 PM, Igull said:

AAMMPPAA - Having to use the node tool - especially using command/ctrl A  to select all the nodes while using it doesn't jive with the function of moving objects around - it's the wrong tool - that really does need to be fixed?

I sort of agree.

Snapping a node to another node I think should work with both the move or node tool active, somehow with the move tool detecting when a node is above, blow or within a snap distance of another node... and it should snap to any node you drag over. Perhaps adding an option in the snapping prefs for the move tool to access these options would be an improvement? Nice to have the choice. Allowing for a faster (on the surface) efficient workflow not always having to go into node mode. :-)

On 10/11/2017 at 10:42 AM, A_B_C said:

“Text to Outlines” … in case you mean “Text to Paths,” simply select your text frame and choose Layer > Convert to Curves:)

Again, my apologies for these delayed replies - I did mention this as probably my last showstopper - and again many thanks for pointing out yet another menuitem 'easter egg' :-)

This is exactly what was required - and again, 'layer/convert to curves' makes no logical sense to me whatsoever when what we are doing is converting a truetype/PS outline to a path (or curve if you must)  LOL

Patently it makes full sense to the folks who create the menuitems 'though :-)

Either way, it works and short of that decent offset tool - that's my list ticked off :-)

Not sure what the reference is to the Infinity Kat 'though :-)

Cheers

Neil

3 hours ago, Igull said:

another menuitem 'easter egg' :-)

This is exactly what was required - and again, 'layer/convert to curves' makes no logical sense to me whatsoever when what we are doing is converting a truetype/PS outline to a path (or curve if you must)  LOL

You can “love or hate” users of complex software that do not use the “Affinity Designer Help”:

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/affinity-docs/help/designer_beta/English.lproj/index.html?page=/ObjectControl/converttocurves.html?title=Converting objects to curves

Tried it several times, but it seems that Serif does not want to make the app more usable (with a better help, with context sensitive menus, unifications, more clarity, …) for so many users that are not high-end professionals.

Ha, Ha - if all else fails, read the manual :-)))))

Yes, I should really read the manual, but if the GUI was just a bit more 'intuitive', I wouldn't need to :-))

I can live with it for now I think - TBH, the only shapes (layers :-) I need to convert to curves are text :-)

There's nothing to stop me editing the app menuitems and changing them to anything I want of course :-)

Once an offset tool is available, that will be the final nail in the coffin for Illustrator (for me at least).

26 minutes ago, Igull said:

There's nothing to stop me editing the app menuitems and changing them to anything I want of course :-)

No, there's nothing to stop you apart from the License Agreement!

Except to the extent necessary for the normal and permitted use of the Serif Software or to the extent that such right cannot be excluded by law or to the extent required to be permitted by licensing terms governing use of open source components that may be included with the Serif Software:

• You have no right (and shall not permit any third party) to copy, adapt, amend, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, create derivative works of, decrypt, modify, distribute or make error corrections to any aspect of the Serif Software in whole or in part; and
  • You have no right to a copy of any of the Serif Software, or of any algorithms or code or other material relating to the Serif Software.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

LOL, there you go then Alfred, I'm forever doomed to using 'Layer - Convert to Curves'- I'll be castigated for not reading the manual and I've never read the licence agreement either (I'm kidding, OF COURSE I've read the licence agreement, I signed it didn't I :-)

I'll just put a sticky label on my monitor that says 'Type/Create Outlines - cmd+return' that should be OK for the software police - it doesn't expressly state that you can't do anything with sticky labels - or perhaps I missed that paragraph too.

As you're resident in Scotland too, I expect you'll be around to check that I haven't done anything that would incriminate me :-)

I do notice that Designer doesn't have applescript support - shame really, I could have maybe done something really naughty there :-)

Anyway, I'm off to add to my licences by purchasing a Windoze copy too - wonder if they'll give me a refund on my (really) old Illustrator licences ???

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.