You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Typically in Affinity Photo Select > Select Sampled Color is used to make a selection & then a brush or fill tool (or possibly a style) is used to change the color of the selection.

Selections can also be saved to a spare channel or to a file while can be loaded back into the document or into others, somewhat like the Save & Load options in PS.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/28/2017 at 6:50 AM, IndigoMoon said:

Hi,

ist there a similar tool in AP to select a color range like in PS. Currently im struggling to achieve similar good result like in PS.

Thx.

colorrange2.png

Have you had any luck figuring this out?   I'd love this to work, even if it's a work-around.

• 4 weeks later...

There IS a workaround however I add my voice to getting a colour range selection tool too as I know that Serif would make an awesome one.

What you can do is a little long-winded but can work well.

1) Duplicate (Apple / Command J) the layer you're wanting to make a selection on.
2) Add an HSL adjustment layer to the newly copied layer.
3) Use the tools in there to select the colour range you want.
4) Change the colour using the Hue Shift and Saturation Shift sliders radically!

When you have a good 'selection' change this layers blending mode to Difference.

Add Black & White and Levels adjustment layers above those two layers and adjust so you get closer to the result you're after. You can then use Edit->Copy Merged then Edit->Paste to get one pixel layer with everything in and then use the paint brush in overlay mode to help speed things up there a bit.

You should then end up with a black and white image which you can use as a mask for your image.

I know, I know, a fairly convoluted process for something which would be great if it were built-in so hopefully Serif will add something like this in the future. Would definitely be greatly appreciated.

Hope that helps a bit in the meantime though. Once you have done it a few times then it's a fairly quick process.

Best wishes,

Mark

Edited by markbowen
Missed step out.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 5:38 PM, markbowen said:

There IS a workaround however I add my voice to getting a colour range selection tool too as I know that Serif would make an awesome one.

What you can do is a little long-winded but can work well.

1) Duplicate (Apple / Command J) the layer you're wanting to make a selection on.
2) Add an HSL adjustment layer to the newly copied layer.
3) Use the tools in there to select the colour range you want.
4) Change the colour using the Hue Shift and Saturation Shift sliders radically!

When you have a good 'selection' change this layers blending mode to Difference.

Add Black & White and Levels adjustment layers above those two layers and adjust so you get closer to the result you're after. You can then use Edit->Copy Merged then Edit->Paste to get one pixel layer with everything in and then use the paint brush in overlay mode to help speed things up there a bit.

You should then end up with a black and white image which you can use as a mask for your image.

I know, I know, a fairly convoluted process for something which would be great if it were built-in so hopefully Serif will add something like this in the future. Would definitely be greatly appreciated.

Hope that helps a bit in the meantime though. Once you have done it a few times then it's a fairly quick process.

Best wishes,

Mark

This is great way to have something that at least gives you more freedom, thanks! Anyway there should be more advanced color selection in AF.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

For those struggling with color range selections, here is a set of really powerful free macros that just do the job so effectively (along with som many other really helpful macros for luminosity masking)

https://changingminds.org/disciplines/photography/affinity_photo/resources/daves_hue_selection.htm

Related tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siUrv2ykFAo&ab_channel=InAffinityforAffinityPhoto

Hope this will help

• 1 year later...
55 minutes ago, Amitashi said:

Selection made with "Select Sampled Color" can't be refined. Fix it.

Make selection with Select Sampled Colour. Adjust Tolerance. If the Refine Button isn't showing, choose a Selection Tool. Click the Refine Button. Refine the image. Fixed!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 5 months later...