You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer or Sketch 3 for web design?

I know this is a affinity forum so I will get biased opinions, please try and keep it as unbiased as possible. As a noobie web designer, what would be my best bet? I've tried both, they are fine, some things are good in sketch, some in affinity. I am leaning towards sketch right now because it seems better for UI design but not sure.

One thing that really irks me is that zooming with a mouse is not smooth at all. Its jagged and eww. It feels clunky. In affinity its fine. In affinity you cannot really just only align to pixels yet, whereas in sketch its much better unless you like scale. Then you gotta round to nearest pixel edge.

So which one should I choose? Obviously there is a lot more in sketch then isn't in affinity and vice versa but those are my main problems, along with sketch sometimes not refreshing the screen.

I'm planning on buying affinity in the future either way because it looks really good for other designs. But for web I don't know yet. What would you recommend?

• Staff

Try the beta version - there's a new 'force pixel alignment' mode that sorts out all the awkward pixel-aligning things.

Sketch is good at some things, Designer is good at others - depends where you feel most comfortable really :)  Designer is a stable, fast product that is being expanded rapidly - at some point this will include a specific focus on UI design.

That doesn't seem to fix it for me. I still get .5 sometimes. On y axis only too lol.

Guess I will just go for sketch for now. Don't worry, I will be back shortly, I really like affinity designer as well. I wanted to go with affinity, its not focused on anything, its a one for all product.

Once its mature enough for UI design xD I will be back :D

OOOOOOOOO THANKS!!!

Ok, could you point me to some resources for learning affinity? Thats awesome, I can buy it expecting the pixel perfect feature to come soon right?

Thanks, I tried it so many times, I can't believe that it was that. XD

what do you mean snapping to the middle btw? Sorry I'm a noobie at vector design.

I guess I will. But could you point me to some website designs made in Affinity, just wanna see :P

Also why when I have the units as pixels, for snapping, I cannot snap to the ends of the document? Like the corners etc?

Or when I use the UI design preset? How can I change this? 

This is the beta btw. In the normal one I think its when I change the unit to pixels when I cannot snap to document ends.

I have it checked but it doesn't work? I can show you a video if you need? Very confused.. :(

In fact by default the UI design one has that on but its not working in the beta atleast. Gonna try in the normal trial.

In that when I change the units to pixels, it stops working?