You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, 

I have a PDF and when I import it into Affinity it is pixelated. It looks normal when I open it with Adobe viewer. I tried looking for import options that I may have missed, but I can't find seem to find anything. Reviewing forms it may be that I am using 1.5.3.69, I am also unable to update. 

Thanks for reading,

Brooke

Cone Sticker purple.pdf

Hi.

My pdf viewer of choice, PDF X-Change Editor, shows the native dimensions of your posted file as 82.8mm x 85.9mm.  By default (I think) AD opens your file as "maximum" view.  In that scenario, it does indeed appear pixellated and, because I don't have the font you used, the text is "wrong".

However, if you change the "displayed" size (via View>Zoom>100%, shortcut Ctrl+1) you will see your design without any pixellation, in both AD release and latest beta.

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

It looks pixelated at high zoom levels because even though the ice cream cone layer is a resolution-independent vector curve layer, it is filled with a low resolution bitmap image, probably a png judging by the transparency that allows the purple layer below it to show where there are no cones or candy sprinkles.

That may be fine if it will only be used at 100% size, but if not either replace the bitmap fill with a higher resolution version or draw the ice cream cones & sprinkles using vector shapes. Symbols would be ideal for this -- draw one instance of the cone, make it a symbol, & place more instances of it at the other locations, rotated as needed to match the bitmap.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, bfrankdesigns said:

I am placing the PDF into affinity designer on a letter sized page. The PDF is at actual size on the page and is showing (and printing) pixelated. When I open the PDF with a PDF viewer it shows unpixelated even at a zoom. 

What is the view mode set to ?

View > View Mode

viewmode.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:20 AM, R C-R said:

It looks pixelated at high zoom levels because even though the ice cream cone layer is a resolution-independent vector curve layer, it is filled with a low resolution bitmap image, probably a png judging by the transparency that allows the purple layer below it to show where there are no cones or candy sprinkles.

That may be fine if it will only be used at 100% size, but if not either replace the bitmap fill with a higher resolution version or draw the ice cream cones & sprinkles using vector shapes. Symbols would be ideal for this -- draw one instance of the cone, make it a symbol, & place more instances of it at the other locations, rotated as needed to match the bitmap.

Are we looking at the same PDF? the thing is all vector. At least if one opens it in a vector editor that doesn't rasterize stuff that shouldn't be raster. Serif never has done well with PDFs made from ID.

I have attached a refried version of it. All vector in AD.

Cone Sticker purple.afdesign

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Are we looking at the same PDF? the thing is all vector. At least if one opens it in a vector editor that doesn't rasterize stuff that shouldn't be raster. Serif never has done well with PDFs made from ID.

I have attached a refried version of it. All vector in AD.

Cone Sticker purple.afdesign

Hey, how do you refry it? I did originally make it in indesign. I tried a couple of different ways, but couldn't get it to export with the crop marks from affinity designer. 

For crop marks in AD, and depending upon the preset chosen, you may need to click the More button and check the box for including them. Some of the profile presets include them by default.

Depending on the PDF (whether it has transparency or not) I will export as an EPS file from pdfToolbox or Acrobat (PDF had no transparency) or load the pdf into a different editor and output a new PDF or distill the PDF into a new one (PDF had transparency).

The issue here, the why of AD converting this PDF into a bitmap clipped into a vector shape, may just be that clipping (there are two clipping masks). It's possible AD (or the library Serif is using) just cannot deconstruct ID's use of these clipping masks and so to preserve some semblance of original design, just makes a bitmap. Dunno.

The result gets loaded into AD (if that's where I need it to be).

17 hours ago, MikeW said:

Are we looking at the same PDF?

Yes, but I was only looking at it as imported into Affinity. Sorry for any confusion I might have caused. :$

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7